Orange County, Los Angeles, Long Beach Players

Greetings,

I am looking to organize a Concertina Band in sunny, Southern California. If there is any interest, please respond to this post or contact me through the forum. Kindly let me know your playing level, instrument type, and any other info that might be relevant.

Repertoire will be based on interest.

post-1193-0-78690900-1340686453_thumb.jpg

Thanks

Carl

Edited by chungerford

Paul Hardy made the trip from Redlands to Long Beach just to show me what concertinas looked and sounded like. He even opened one up on my kitchen table.

His generosity was the tipping point for me, and now I'm happily squeezing and collecting 'tinas in Long Beach, California.

Thanks again, Paul!

Carl, I'll respond to you privately.

Ken

Shame,

I used to live in Redlands 2003-07, but am now back in the UK. I do visit at intervals though, so do announce your meeting schedule.

Regards

Nothing regular at this time until I can gather enough folks to get some momentum going! Until then, we can make your visits an event!

Cheers,

Carl

Great pic Carl. Who are the three in dark suits in the back row do you think? They're conspicuously lacking concertinas.

I wondered if they could be the band musical director/conductor type people but it seems a bit shy and retiring for the sort!

Great pic Carl. Who are the three in dark suits in the back row do you think? They're conspicuously lacking concertinas.

I wondered if they could be the band musical director/conductor type people but it seems a bit shy and retiring for the sort!

Agents? Managers? Probation Officers? Hangers-on? Groupies?

He's probably the trendy one, sporting the newest 20c fashion, a 'cravat tie'. (What stupid things they are too. What clot invented them?)

But yes, chic or not they should have sent him home to change.

We have on of those long narrow photographs of a band in Ypsilanti, Michigan in 1923, all neatly lined up in a park in their military-style uniforms, holding their instruments. (My wife's grandfather was one of the clarinet players.) There's a guy right in the middle, his arms folded across his chest, in an ordinary suit. Presumably "the professor."

Greetings,

I am looking to organize a Concertina Band in sunny, Southern California. If there is any interest, please respond to this post or contact me through the forum. Kindly let me know your playing level, instrument type, and any other info that might be relevant.

Thanks

Carl

Carl,

What can you tell us about the band in the photograph? I was not aware there had been any concertina bands in the USA. Any idea what ES&MIC stands for?

Gary

Greetings All,

I contacted the Lawrence, MA historical society about the initials. Their best guess was:

Economic Social Club and Masters in Chancery

Not a perfect match, but certainly close enough!

• 1 month later...

I'm up in Hawthorne, and I play English Concertina. How many do you have in your band so far?

-Patrick

Greetings,

Thanks

Carl