Should I buy this instrument?

Folks

The attached photograph is of a c.1900 Lachenal English concertina that was reconditioned earlier this year. The asking price was £750, but the owner is willing to let it go for £625.

Now, I don't expect anyone to be able to value it for me based on a photo plus this limited information, but I have a specific question. Every note is in tune, but a couple of them are of dubious quality: a sort of buzzing rattle here, a slight loss of pitch towards the end of a note there. My question is this: Is this the sort of thing I should expect from an instrument of that price?

Thanks

Remster

post-9698-0-87810600-1323463437_thumb.jpg

Every note is in tune, but a couple of them are of dubious quality: a sort of buzzing rattle here, a slight loss of pitch towards the end of a note there. My question is this: Is this the sort of thing I should expect from an instrument of that price?

I would think that a more important question, assuming you would be playing the instrument regularly and over an extended period, would be: Can these problems be fixed, and if so, at what cost?

The fact that you notice them now suggests that you won't stop noticing them as you spend time playing the instrument. And if they aren't fixed, I can imagine you becoming more and more frustrated as you have to live with them day after day.

I would wonder who did the reconditioning, and why these problems have remained -- or developed? -- after the reconditioning was completed.

The fact that you notice them now suggests that you won't stop noticing them as you spend time playing the instrument. And if they aren't fixed, I can imagine you becoming more and more frustrated as you have to live with them day after day.

That's precisely my concern. I've enjoyed learning on a much better instrument (which I've borrowed) and just sitting on my sofa at home playing for my own pleasure. That pleasure will diminish significantly with dodgy notes.

I would think that a more important question, assuming you would be playing the instrument regularly and over an extended period, would be: Can these problems be fixed, and if so, at what cost?

Agreed. What attracts me to this instrument is the price, but that's nullified if there are additional costs involved.

Folks

The attached photograph is of a c.1900 Lachenal English concertina that was reconditioned earlier this year. The asking price was £750, but the owner is willing to let it go for £625.

Now, I don't expect anyone to be able to value it for me based on a photo plus this limited information, but I have a specific question. Every note is in tune, but a couple of them are of dubious quality: a sort of buzzing rattle here, a slight loss of pitch towards the end of a note there. My question is this: Is this the sort of thing I should expect from an instrument of that price?

Thanks

Remster

A sort of buzzing rattle is PROBABLY a reed come lose in it's slot. You take the end off and push it back in (having previously worked out which one it is). That simple. If it doesn't seem to grip you pack the slot with a thin sliver of (gummed for choice) paper. The slight loss of pitch dunno, but could be as simple as fluff in the reed. The previous owner probably won't mind sorting it in front of you if they have half an idea.

Long term you do what the rest of us do; buy Dave Elliot's excellent book and with considerable (but largely unwarranted) apprehension have a go at sorting it.

Yes, this is the sort of thing you expect every now and then, but you don't expect to live with it. It happens less and less as your instrument gets back into being played regularly. It's almost certainly simple stuff and even if you get it repaired by an expert shouldn't cost much.

Every note is in tune, but a couple of them are of dubious quality: a sort of buzzing rattle here, a slight loss of pitch towards the end of a note there. My question is this: Is this the sort of thing I should expect from an instrument of that price?

I would wonder who did the reconditioning, and why these problems have remained -- or developed? -- after the reconditioning was completed.

I don't think it's unusual for odd little problems to develop after a major reconditioning. Many repairers will address them at no charge. Are you able to find out who did the work? If they don't live too far from you, you might want to get in contact with them directly.

I don't think it's unusual for odd little problems to develop after a major reconditioning. Many repairers will address them at no charge. Are you able to find out who did the work? If they don't live too far from you, you might want to get in contact with them directly.

Agree with others above...I always carry a pack of Blue Rizlas with me. Apart from loose fitting reed frames in the pan. If you've taken the ends off, you might as well try taking all the shoes out (one by one obviously!!) and slide the ciggy paper gently between the reed and the shoe. It's a bit dull, but worth it. Also I've found it useful to have a an aerosol of compressed air out to flush out any other slivers of wood and other detritus. (I wouldn't use perfumed hairspray unless you're that way inclined!) Seems to fix most cases of stuck and buzzy reeds in my experience. If not....Consult an expert. On no account remove the reed from its frame. That way madness lies!

Good luck Ralphie.

I always carry a little box with relevant screwdrivers, spare springs (They tend to break on old instruments.) Some Bias Binding tape for emergency bellow repairs, and a tube of copydex glue, Oh, a can of Talcum powder to help dry the glue. Not an ideal scenario, but that kit has got me out of many a hole in the middle of nowhere! (and it has to be Blue Rizla...They're the thinnest!)

Edited by Ralph Jordan

On reflection after the other responses, I think I may have been a bit hard there. Usually such problems are small and easily remedied, with some of the likely solutions already mentioned. Still... not quite always.

But I would say that if they are easily fixed -- e.g., by better seating of the reed frames in their slots in the reed pan, which seems likely, -- then it should be possible to fix them with very little effort before you put down your money. In fact, you should be able to do it yourself (with the cooperation of the seller), which is not a bad idea, since (assuming you do buy the instrument) you will likely need to do it more than once in the future as the concertina adjusts to changes in environment or simply to being played regularly.

And if, as Daniel suggests, the recent restorer is willing to make the necessary adjustments, see if (s)he will at least let you watch how it's done.