Artistic display of knitting designs

Just in case you thought the heading has no relationship to the concertina at all, it has often been mentioned that Iris Bishop is well known outside the sphere of the concertina world for her designs of knitting machine patterns - ie as a textile artist (to the extent that the story has been told before that when she and Martyn Wyndham-Read were on tour abroad some people saw her name and turned up expecting to see examples of her knitting work).

Well, if any of you wanted to know more about her other area of expertise, at the end of this month there will be display at Farnham Maltings in Surrey entitled "Four Artists in Search of an Exhibition", on Saturday and Sunday 26th and 27th November . The displaying artists will be Iris, Danni Wyndham-Read (wife of Martyn Wyndham-Read), Lawrence Heath (local folk promoter in Surrey, running Electric Voices concerts, Music Institute Folk Club in Guildford and GBH Ceilidhs in Godalming), and Mary Kent (whose artwork graces the cover of Martyn's most recent CD).

Details of the venue for the display are here

http://www.farnhamma...on.aspx?cat=art

Edited by Irene S

I've liked Martyn's songs and Iris' duet playing very much ever since I heard them (as yet only via CD, sadly)...

Not being able to visit the exhibition, I nevertheless thank you for that widening piece of information (based on which I can at least do some internet research)!

Just the kind of things (people, in fact) that make (or keep) the world a better one, little by little.. :)

I've liked Martyn's songs and Iris' duet playing very much ever since I heard them (as yet only via CD, sadly)...

Not being able to visit the exhibition, I nevertheless thank you for that widening piece of information (based on which I can at least do some internet research)!

Just the kind of things (people, in fact) that make (or keep) the world a better one, little by little.. :)

:)

You'd have enjoyed Friday night down here then Mr Sailor, as they were our guests at the folk club in Guildford. A lovely night. I hope you get the chance to see and hear them live at some point. Herewith a copy of the publicity postcard for the event. (There are two cards - each having an example of the work of one of the four artists on each side).

post-6811-0-48581300-1320587781_thumb.jpg

Just in case you thought the heading has no relationship to the concertina at all, it has often been mentioned that Iris Bishop is well known outside the sphere of the concertina world for her designs of knitting machine patterns - ie as a textile artist

Does Iris produce designs inspired by concertinas?

For example fretwork patterns may make a good design - well only for concertina afficionados perhaps B) .

I have seen sweaters with concertinas fashioned into the knitting at various festivals too.

Herewith a copy of the publicity postcard for the event. (There are two cards - each having an example of the work of one of the four artists on each side).

Nice postcard.

Unfortunately, the web page for the exhibit omits "textiles" from the list of media represented.

That should be corrected.