Call of the Wild

Bill N

There was a thread a week or two ago about domestic animal reactions to concertina playing, but I experienced an interesting variation while on a canoe trip in eastern Ontario (Canada) this weekend. We were camped by ourselves on an island in the Depot Lake chain, and amongst the wildlife we encountered were several pairs of loons. Early yesterday morning I took advantage of the seclusion by sitting on a rock and working on a new tune on my camping concertina (a Rochelle). After several minutes of puzzling through "Double Sledder Lad", I looked up to see a veritable flotilla of eight loons paddling towards me. They stopped about two meters offshore, and appeared to be giving me the once over while making odd chuckling sounds. After I stopped playing, the four pairs swam off in different directions. I wonder what I was saying in "loon"?

There was a thread a week or two ago about domestic animal reactions to concertina playing, but I experienced an interesting variation while on a canoe trip in eastern Ontario (Canada) this weekend. We were camped by ourselves on an island in the Depot Lake chain, and amongst the wildlife we encountered were several pairs of loons. Early yesterday morning I took advantage of the seclusion by sitting on a rock and working on a new tune on my camping concertina (a Rochelle). After several minutes of puzzling through "Double Sledder Lad", I looked up to see a veritable flotilla of eight loons paddling towards me. They stopped about two meters offshore, and appeared to be giving me the once over while making odd chuckling sounds. After I stopped playing, the four pairs swam off in different directions. I wonder what I was saying in "loon"?

Maybe they were trying to tell you that you must be loony to be playing the concertina?

Of course, in Canada that's worth money.
;)

When I first moved to Scotland, I stayed on a farm and one summer evening, I was playing concertina outside whilst my wife practised step dancing. After a short while, she suggested I turned round - there were the cows all lined up against the fence, mesmerised.

I tested the reaction later in the evening when the cows were all busy at the far end of the field. As soon as I started playing, they all rushed over to the fence again to hear. I don't hesitate much when I say they were the best audience I've ever had. They didn't put a lot of money in the hat though

Alex West