Salvation Army founded today .... 2nd July 1865!

I noticed that the Salvation Army was founded today, 2nd July, back in 1865!

So do we have any idea how many Concertinas they were responsible for the building of?

Surely they were by far the largest single market for Concertinas?

Clearly, there wouldn't be nearly so many Concertinas around today, if it hadn't been for their patronage of this great little instrument.

However, with the decline in their use, in other walks of life like Music Hall, could it be said that the Sally Army actually kept them alive, or put another way, did they actually save the Concertina, the way they saved souls? ;)

Cheers

Dick

I'm sure that it was because of the Salvation Army that my late grandfather, and subsequently my dad and I, play the concertina.

Here's a picture of my grandfather Herbert Hague (1900-1987) in the early 1920's I guess. I've mentioned it before on the forum, but my grandad contributed an arrangement to the Salvation Army English Concertina, 1935 edition. Another arranger was the popular band leader Henry Hall, a keen Salvationist and concertina player

Happy Birthday SA

post-7661-0-93265600-1309636249_thumb.jpg

For your information see here for some info on the photographer, PYMM

His studios were in RIPLEY, DERBYSHIRE for a short while.

regards

Jake

Many thanks Jake, that's very interesting and helps me to better date the photo too.

Jeremy

Yes, Happy Birthday, Sally.

It looks like your grandfather had a good quality concertina, too.

My English treble has a Salvation Army Musical Instrument Division sticker on it where the maker's label would normally be. It has brass reeds, a riveted action, and four-fold bellows, lovely to play and with a sweet sound, but it's hard to imagine its holding its own on the street or other loud venue.

The SA's beliefs are far from my own, but I like the idea that I have a concertina they used.

.... but it's hard to imagine its holding its own on the street or other loud venue.

Hey Mike, I think that perhaps the streets would have been just a little quieter, back then. ;)

Photo: Manchester street, 1930s :)

Photo: Manchester street, 2000 :o

By the way, as a naturalistic pantheist myself, of course I don't believe in their imaginary friend either, but I too absolutely respect their motives & their right to their own beliefs.

Of course, I also rejoice in their choice of musical instruments, especially the fact that they were instrumental ;) in having so many Concertinas created in the first place & in the 2nd place, still around today, for so many of us to enjoy. B)

Cheers,

Dick

Edited by Ptarmigan

My English treble has a Salvation Army Musical Instrument Division sticker on it where the maker's label would normally be. It has brass reeds, a riveted action, and four-fold bellows, lovely to play and with a sweet sound, but it's hard to imagine its holding its own on the street or other loud venue.

As I've posted here before, it was the Salvation Army that "converted" me to the concertina at a very early age, because my first worship experiences at the age of 6 or 7 were in the S.A. Citadel, rather than at church. After that, I always wanted a concetina, and my love of the sea and things nautical did the rest. I've played the Anglo for decades now, because that was all I could find when I bought my first concertina, but when I recently decided to go chromatic and try a duet, what I got was by chance an ex-S.A. Crane/Triumph. Poetic justice!

By the way, back then, in the early 1950s, I never heard the Army concertina in a "loud venue." The street was the province of the brass band, as was the Sunday morning service at the Citadel, and the solo concertina came into play in small, informal meetings indoors, to accompany a spontaneous chorus or quiet hymn. So loudness was not a requirement.

Cheers,

John

Guest HallelujahAl!

Hi Guys - and many thanks for all your kind thoughts and feelings towards the SA and myself. I'm incredibly proud to maintain a tradition of playing the concertina as a Salvation Army Officer. The concertina has a fine tradition and reputation for being involved in evangelism, and I'm keen to continue that, though I fear there aren't many SA officers playing today. As far as I know I'm the only active (i.e. non-retired) officer still using a concertina generally within my ministry in the UK - though I'd be happy to hear if others are being played? The SA's use of the concertina was, I believe, particularly prompted by the Booth family's use of the intrument - it appears that nearly all of William & Catherine's children and grand-children were players. And hence it became within a very short time an exceedingly popular instrument for the Army's peculiar and unique ministry. In fact it is well understood that whereas William Booth (the Army's Founder) approved of the concertina - he was actually quite ill-disposed towards brass bands (a sentiment I entirely agree with). How on earth 'banding' ended up as the Army's primary musical mode is a complete and utter msytery to me. However, let's just say that I'm praying for a revival - a sentiment I'm sure that you'd all agree with!

:rolleyes:

One of the things I love about my interest in English and American music and dance and now the concertina is the social history that comes trailing along with the music,dancing,singing, and playing. Thanks to all in this discussion for making it all richer. As HallelujahAl!'s posting shows, it's a living tradition.