Wanted Low-end Concertina For Sailor

RustyBits

My friend Bennett is interested in learning the concertina, but will be out sailing for 6 months. . . I'm thinking that a Stagi or the like would be a good choice. It will get him interested and it won't be a tragedy if it gets wrecked.

Any of you have one for sale??

Not yet...I expect to unload some or all of my Italian concertinas in the next year, but they need work and/or tuning, and since I've learned how to do that myself I want to get it done first. But you'll find one from somebody here.

Hi Lisa

I have been taking chances with buying a few Scholer (East German) 20 buttton concertinas on e bay. Some can be very playable and portable and not to precious as long as you don't pay too much. It is also the kind of instrument that many begin on and realize they want more, then move up to a better instrument. I think something like that would be perfect for a boat ride. I also like how some of the marbalized plastic veneered models look. One could imagine oneself blasting off into outer space inside one of them! VERY MID-TWENTIETH CENTURY!

I would have the e bay seller call you up and play all the notes over the phone, then if they sound ok and not to weezy don't pay more than $50-$100 US dollars for it.

Richard

Hi Lisa

I have been taking chances with buying a few Scholer (East German) 20 buttton concertinas on e bay. Some can be very playable and portable and not to precious as long as you don't pay too much. It is also the kind of instrument that many begin on and realize they want more, then move up to a better instrument. I think something like that would be perfect for a boat ride. I also like how some of the marbalized plastic veneered models look. One could imagine oneself blasting off into outer space inside one of them! VERY MID-TWENTIETH CENTURY!

I would have the e bay seller call you up and play all the notes over the phone, then if they sound ok and not to weezy don't pay more than $50-$100 US dollars for it.

Richard

Very good advice!

I have a English Stagi Trinity model 48 button tenor available. I learned to play on it before moving up to a Lachenal New Model. I still think the Stagi has a good action and tone even in comparision to the New Model.

The concertina is in almost new condition. The hard case has one minor dent.