Spouse Vs Concertina

They do have a mellower sound Bill and are quieter than steel reeds,but I do not think that is the answer.I have not heard you play Bill ,but must assume, that as a beginner you are following a usual trend,so may I suggest the following and if I miss anything out others will suggest those points I have missed.

Firstly ,you have been given good advice about your concertina,if it is out of tune you cannot expect anybody to enjoy whatever you are playing.Secondly ,many beginners have difficulty with pull notes and tend to drag the note longer than the push.This to a listener sounds dreadfull and you should work on this aspect of your playing.Try playing a note no longer than a half to one second in length,this will benifit you on faster passages for the future.Finally try recording yourself,what do you think you sound like?

With a new instrument it can take up to 18months for someone to really want to sit down and listen to one playing and I have great respect for those who do get on stage before this time.

Al

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

she views it as "the sound of a cat getting beaten with a stick."

Does anyone else have a similar problem?

Bill, not only does a friend in the office next to me often tell me to stop strangling that cat, but my sister-in-law's cat gave me the oddest look when it first heard my concertina and then ran away in terror and wasn't seen for two days. Perhaps there is something about cats and concertinas. If your wife is a cat lover, perhaps the sound really is too painful to bear.

On the other hand, I have to admit that people who have heard me play have been known to disappear for days, and some of them were dog lovers! :(

Jeff Myers