How Much Is A Jeffries Worth?

This is the great thing about this site,a question is asked about the value of a concertina and we finish with a Dutch invasion and a history lesson.

Keep it up ,it`s wonderful,but at the moment do not mention football.

Al

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I understand that what Americans call their "War of Independence" or "Revolutionary War", the British call "the unpleasantness with the Colonies." ;)

Yeah, and what many folks in this country refer to as the Civil War is called by some in the South The War of Northern Aggression or The War for Northern Imperialism. I grew up in Georgia, so it's fun to taunt all the Yankees up here with those. :lol:

Henk, what is the negative connotation of Double Dutch? Over here that refers to a style of team jumproping where two people stand about 15 feet apart holding two ropes between them, then twirl the ropes in opposite directions while another person jumps over them both in the middle, often with complicated choreography. It's quite impressive, actually.

As for the Pennsylvania Dutch, many of them (at least in eastern PA, where most of them are) don't use that term any more. It's mostly used by people outside that community. They generally refer to themselves as Pennsylvania German. It eliminates some of the confusion.

:)

Steven

There's another USA term: Pennsylvania Dutch. This term is used to describe a group of people who settled in the Pennsylvania area in the early part of our country's history. But actually the proper term should have been Pennsylvania Deutsch because these settlers were German immigrants.

Maybe "Dutch" is how they pronounced it in their dialect? For that matter, when did Dutch and Deutsch diverge? I would guess that the similar names for "our language" implies a common origin. Any linguist-historians in the crowd?

But the really interesting thing is that there's another ethnic group in Pennsylvania who are descended from Dutch immigrants, and for some reason they are known as "Pennsylvania German". Not sure why, but maybe it's to insult the Pennsylvanians, implying they can't tell the difference between Dutch and German?

As for the Pennsylvania Dutch, many of them (at least in eastern PA, where most of them are) don't use that term any more. It's mostly used by people outside that community. They generally refer to themselves as Pennsylvania German. It eliminates some of the confusion.

I'm one of those from eastern PA, and I'd definitely say Pennsylvania German -- and leave "Dutch" for the tourist traps on Route 30... I guess it has positive connotations for the tourists, though!

-Andy

Yeah, and what many folks in this country refer to as the Civil War  is called by some in the South The War of Northern Aggression or The War for Northern Imperialism.  I grew up in Georgia, so it's fun to taunt all the Yankees up here with those.  :lol:

Careful there. You can be taunted, too, y'know.

How about "The War You Lost", for starters? ;)

On the third hand,
Is this the secret of your playing style, Jim? :)

Nice thought, but I'm still looking for that third end.

Maybe when my number comes up with Colin I can get him to make me a "trio" concertina? :unsure:

Here's a term my father used in his role of carpenter: a Dutchman was a small piece of wood used to fill the space when the board in hand was not long enough. Therefore, something to fill the need. Perhaps Dutch reliability has something to do with it. :)

"Chinese auction" ... is a term I made up, in order to make a pun.

Jim,

Next time you make something up like that, you had better Google it first , just to make sure somebody didn't get there before you ! (11,500 results):

"A Chinese Auction is an event at which you bid for items with small tickets that have a predetermined dollar value. ... "

Here's a term my father used in his role of carpenter: a Dutchman was a small piece of wood used to fill the space when the board in hand was not long enough. Therefore, something to fill the need. Perhaps Dutch reliability has something to do with it.

Or fingers in dykes ?

"Chinese auction" ... is a term I made up, in order to make a pun.
Next time you make something up like that, you had better Google it first , just to make sure somebody didn't get there before you ! (11,500 results):

"A Chinese Auction is an event at which you bid for items with small tickets that have a predetermined dollar value. ... "

Interesting.

I didn't Google, but I did go to www.dictionary.com, which listed "Dutch auction", but didn't recognize "Chinese auction".

"Dutch treat": "An outing, as for dinner or a movie, in which all persons pay their own expenses." That latter should be very popular with feminists who think it's demeaning for a man to pay the expenses of the woman who accompanies him.

I think "Dutch treat" did come from some kind of put-down, even if it's not necessarily viewed that way nowadays. It's as if someone "treats" you to lunch, but then expects you to pay your half. Playing off the idea that Dutch are stingy. Of course agreeing to "go Dutch" beforehand is a completely different thing.

How about "Dutch uncle": "one who admonishes sternly and bluntly." And then there's Dutch elm disease...

Can anybody out there help me? I am considering selling my Jeffries anglo which is in perfect playing condition as I am considering downgrading to a lesser model. I paid a high price for it a couple of years ago as it was and still is in perfect condition. I am wondering what it would be worth now if I should put it on the market? No photo available at the moment. 30 buttons C/G 7 fold bellows.

Thanks to all of you who have replied to my question of 'How much is a Jeffries worth?' Can I take it that it should reach £3000 to £4000. Hugo.

Thanks to all of you who have replied to my question of 'How much is a Jeffries worth?' Can I take it that it should reach £3000 to £4000. Hugo.

It might, but I wouldn't want to depend on it, especially not the £4000.

"Should" is not a word I would use.

Henk, what is the negative connotation of Double Dutch? Over here that refers to a style of team jumproping where two people stand about 15 feet apart holding two ropes between them, then twirl the ropes in opposite directions while another person jumps over them both in the middle, often with complicated choreography. It's quite impressive, actually.

Steven

I could not find it in Websters (and that's how I found the incredible DOUBLE DIPPER). As far as I remember it means that a person does not means what he says (In The Netherlands we say: he speaks with a split tongue).

Any way I started a search in Google, but found too much results. One of the first hits is interesting for Dutch as well as English speaking persons.

The jumproping that you describe was very popular in The Netherlands about 50 years ago.