concertina and accordion

ido

in the more-subtle-than-a-railroad-train department:

here is classical CBA player lidia kaminska playing astor piazzola....

I like it. But it's an ensemble, not a solo. Makes me think of the recent discussion regarding early concertina recordings, where "solo" seemed to mean "with piano".

here she is playing chopin

Lot's of talk. I didn't hear enough playing to form an opinion.

here is Kanako Kato of Tokyo playing a nice compact free-bass cba...

Nice stuff, but makes me wonder what the same pieces/arrangements would sound like played on a duet concertina (with adequate range). I think that in general I just prefer the sound of the concertina. Often (though not always) "wet" tuning to me just sounds soggy.

of course, this would be more my own kind of thing. you can hear her switch it from "wet" to "dry" in the middle of the waltz,...

Yep, all normal concertinas lack "stops" for selecting different voices. That's a feature I myself don't particularly miss, though I do have a Crane duet with damaged reeds that I've considered having converted into a MIDI-concertina. That would be "stops" with a vengeance! :ph34r:

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[The central concept in much of Scandinavian traditional music is melody, with second -- in some genres virtually equal -- priority given to harmony. Chords are largely optional, or even undesirable] yes, i know....that is one of the things i like about it along with its modal/minor aspects, same with traditional irish music, which is also traditionally, melody music, though you wouldn't know it from the current fad for chords in irish concertina playing...and i'm sure there are neat things being done with scandinavian on anglo and/or bisonoric box....but chords or multiple voicing wouldn't be my only reason for calling PA or CBA the more "can do everything" instrument. again, there's that issue on anglo concertina of not having all notes in both directions with the aesthetic/expressive choices that come along with that.....sooner or letter, the locked-in push-pull phrasing begins to get really annoying from an artistic standpoint, at least in this quarter....

my favorite scandinavian accordion player/composer can also play folk-dance music on bisonoric box beautifully, but her principal instrument is cba....

here's some melodic scandinavian composed music on cba, with still photo:

here she and fellow dryads are playing scandinavian folk on bisonoric box:

but on the other hand, here she is playing scandinavian folk-dance music on cba:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8--FQM8rwGM&p=3A1B662920DCDC8D&playnext=1&index=16

and here she demonstrates the "converter" cba, first a folk waltz using typical accordion chord basses, then a more composed piece using free basses....

[The central concept in much of Scandinavian traditional music is melody, with second -- in some genres virtually equal -- priority given to harmony. Chords are largely optional, or even undesirable] yes, i know....that is one of the things i like about it along with its modal/minor aspects, same with traditional irish music, which is also traditionally, melody music, though you wouldn't know it from the current fad for chords in irish concertina playing...and i'm sure there are neat things being done with scandinavian on anglo and/or bisonoric box....but chords or multiple voicing wouldn't be my only reason for calling PA or CBA the more "can do everything" instrument. again, there's that issue on anglo concertina of not having all notes in both directions with the aesthetic/expressive choices that come along with that.....sooner or letter, the locked-in push-pull phrasing begins to get really annoying from an artistic standpoint, at least in this quarter....

my favorite scandinavian accordion player/composer can also play folk-dance music on bisonoric box beautifully, but her principal instrument is cba....

here's some melodic scandinavian composed music on cba, with still photo:

here she and fellow dryads are playing scandinavian folk on bisonoric box:

but on the other hand, here she is playing scandinavian folk-dance music on cba:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8--FQM8rwGM&p=3A1B662920DCDC8D&playnext=1&index=16

and here she demonstrates the "converter" cba, first a folk waltz using typical accordion chord basses, then a more composed piece using free basses....

Thanks for sharing these links. I hadn't thought of looking for her on YouTube, yet! I have a couple of Maria Kaleniemi's CDs and she's a favorite of mine, too.