Bellows

Barry J

I don't know if more is better smile.gif the cubic capacity of the bellows and how air tight they are will have as much say in the performance of the instrument, as will how you use the air button. My Anglo ( a small instrument 5.5in across it's end face measuring from a flat edge to opposite flat edge) has 7 fold bellows and I find it easier to play fluidly on than my previous instrument which was a 6 fold but I have also played 6 fold concertinas with a larger diameter ( so increased cc) than mine and had no problems. biggrin.gif

Edited by anlej

I've seen different makes and models of concertina specified with different number of bellow folds.

What are the pro's and con's of numbers of folds - is more better and why ?

Note that Chris Sherburn plays an anglo with a 4-fold bellows.

If your bellows is leaky (hopefully not on a brand new instrument), you'll "need" more bellows folds, but a tighter bellows might help your playing more than extra folds. In addition to the tightness of the bellows, a lot depends on your personal playing style. If you try to play legato style, with few bellows reversals, you might like to have an "extra" fold or two. And if you play "English style", with lots of notes sounding at once, you'll appreciate a bellows with greater air capacity.

From a different perspective, a bellows with fewer folds can be better than a private instructor in teaching you how to control the bellows and use the air button. Necessity is the mother of invention learning. :)

Aside from the number of folds, another factor worth considering is the "stiffness" of the bellows. Some players like a stiffer bellows, others like a more flexible one.

I have English concertinas with 4, 5, and 6 folds, more folds on the baritone and tenor-treble where a bit more air is needed for the lower reeds. The louder instruments also use more air than the softer ones. I haven't noticed a big difference in playability.

If an Anglo player wishes to play a style of music in which lack of bellows capacity frequently becomes a significant obstacle I guess they will always hanker for an extra fold (or two)?

My C/G has 6 folds and my G/D has 7, both are fine. However my baritone anglo has only 6 folds, and I find that's not enough - those big reeds take a lot of air, and it needs careful use of the air button and perhaps rearranging how I play a tune if I'm not to find myself running out.

My baritone has 10 folds which is probably over kill. I still have to know how to work the air button while in the midst of a tune, and playing at long extension is clumsy; however I never get into a position where I am stressing the bellows by trying to eke out just a little more note.