Your Top Ten Concertina Cds

i would say these are my faves:

noel hill's "irish concertina 2"

mary mcnamara's "blackberry blossom"

tim collins and brian mcnamara's "reed only"

noel hill and tony linnane's album

and here's where it gets a little hazy, cuz a friend of mine burned a whole bunch of re-released cd's from the 70's for me, so i'll just list the players as they appear in the artist section in itunes:

elizabeth crotty

john kelly

bernard o'Sullivan & tommy mcmahon

i havent bought it yet, but i highly recommend brian peters' album anglophilia. he plays this on one of the tracks:

. brian is a great player and never disappoints.

In no particular order, and not all solo cd's

Edel Fox & Ronan O'Flaherty - Selftitled

Kate McNamara - Are you the concertinaplayer?

Jason O'Rourke - The Bunch of Keys

Dymphna O'Sullivan - Bean Chairdin

Nomos - I won't be afraid anymore

Mary Macnamara - Traditional music from ....

Noel Hill & Tony McMahon - In Knocknagree

Andy Morrow & Tony O'Connell - Selftitled

Padraig Rynne - Bye a while

Various artists - The Clare Set

Snorre

I don't have that many concertina CDs (yet), maybe four, but now that this thread has surfaced, my favorite for background listening or inspiration would be Jody Kruskal's Naked Concertina album. A "Duet" approach to arranging for the Anglo.

--Mike K.

Another mention for Alistair Anderson's 'Airplay', lovely stuff.

Nobody's mentioned the fine EC playing of Robert Harbron yet on various CDs, so I'll flag them up with pleasure.

Probably the best of the lot for concertina-ey goodness is his collaboration with accordionist Tim Van Eyken One Sunday Afternoon, but either of the Dr Faustus CDs, or the English Acoustic Collective CD, or the recent 'Station House' CD with Nancy Kerr & James Fagan, all hit the spot for me.

A lot of them, but specially:

Terry Bingham. Simple irish tunes at a peaceful speed. I find it a charming album.

Nomos - Set you free. I was hearing this album when I first meet my wife. Obviously, soppy reasons - although Vallely is a very fine player -.

Cheers,

Fer

Just got Brain Peters' "Anglophilia" and enjoyed that a lot.

Dave Townsend's "Concertina Landscape" is very good.

On the compilation front "Anglo International" is superb and good value for three cds.

On a different angle I've made a couple of compilation cds from legitimate downloads, makers websites etc, which I enjoy.

Guest Peter Laban

It's that time of year again in West Clare and there are at least two new releases underway that would warrant consideration on this thread. wink_by_SoS_Cosmo.gif

Guest Peter Laban

OK fair enough.

Tom Carey agreed, when put under pressure, to do a recording. Sessions have taken place recently and the CD is all finished and ready to fly.

Kitty Hayes' daughter has produced a CD of recordings taken from Kitty's final cocnert appearances, mainly those in Bantry House at the Masters of Tradition festival and Kitty's Tribute concert in Glór in Ennis which took place in august and november 2007 respectively. The CD is a monument and final farewell to the good woman herself. Kitty is joined opn the CD by Dympna O'Sullivan, Martin Hayes & Denis Cahill, and the 'band' including Eoin O Neill, Josephine Marsh, Mick Kinsella and myself. All proceeds are going to Seanoiri Laictin Naoifa, the daycare group for senior citizens in the Miltown Malbay/Mullagh area of West Clare (Kitty felt she was too young to join that group but a lot of her friends 'take the bus' during the week and we played for a few sets and general entertainment there on many occasions over time).

A little birdie told me there will be a special launch of both CDs on the evening of the Concertina recital during the Willie Clancy week.

Oidreacht an Chláir has, like they did last year, produced a double CD with recordings taken from concerts that took place at the previous Willie Clancy week (all music on the official program of the school is being recorded for archive). Proceeds of the sale of these will go towards the establishment of AOC's local archive and teaching facilities (it's premises have just been renovated). Concertinaplayers appearing on these CDs are: Dympna O Sullivan, Jacqueline McCarthy & Tom Carey, Katie O'Sullivan and Hugh Healy. Many other players of other instruments and singers appear as well of course, providing a good cross section of music as it can be found during the Week Willie.

OAC has also produced, again as a fundraiser, a calendar for 2010 which features a (photographic) tribute to deceased Clare musicians. OAC items will appear for sale at the Willie week and (from next week or so) at www.oac.ie

Edited by Peter Laban

OK fair enough.

Tom Carey agreed, when put under pressure, to do a recording. Sessions have taken place recently and the CD is all finished and ready to fly.

Kitty Hayes' daughter has produced a CD of recordings taken from Kitty's final cocnert appearances, mainly those in Bantry House at the Masters of Tradition festival and Kitty's Tribute concert in Glór in Ennis which took place in august and november 2007 respectively. The CD is a monument and final farewell to the good woman herself. Kitty is joined opn the CD by Dympna O'Sullivan, Martin Hayes & Denis Cahill, and the 'band' including Eoin O Neill, Josephine Marsh, Mick Kinsella and myself. All proceeds are going to Seanoiri Laictin Naoifa, the daycare group for senior citizens in the Miltown Malbay/Mullagh area of West Clare (Kitty felt she was too young to join that group but a lot of her friends 'take the bus' during the week and we played for a few sets and general entertainment there on many occasions over time).

A little birdie told me there will be a special launch of both CDs on the evening of the Concertina recital during the Willie Clancy week.

Oidreacht an Chláir has, like they did last year, produced a double CD with recordings taken from concerts that took place at the previous Willie Clancy week (all music on the official program of the school is being recorded for archive). Proceeds of the sale of these will go towards the establishment of AOC's local archive and teaching facilities (it's premises have just been renovated). Concertinaplayers appearing on these CDs are: Dympna O Sullivan, Jacqueline McCarthy & Tom Carey, Katie O'Sullivan and Hugh Healy. Many other players of other instruments and singers appear as well of course, providing a good cross section of music as it can be found during the Week Willie.

OAC has also produced, again as a fundraiser, a calendar for 2010 which features a (photographic) tribute to deceased Clare musicians. OAC items will appear for sale at the Willie week and (from next week or so) at www.oac.ie

Thanks Peter.

Dave Townsend's Portrait of a Concertina CD seems to back in print! I recently picked up a copy from Amazon UK and it's in the online Saydisc catalogue. It's a great recording.

Daniel

Good news, Daniel. This is an excellent CD, and I can't believe that it's 20+ years since it was first issued.

Also in the Saydisc catalogue is "A Celtic Christmas":

http://www.saydisc.com/

I have not heard this CD, but recall that Dave Townsend joined Robin Huw Bowen (Welsh Triple Harp) on some of the tracks :) . Also, Dave T. compliled the album.

Regards,

Peter.