When to keep your mouth shut ?

...On one fan fic place who shall remain nameless I got my account 'blacklisted' ... coz I argued with the mod about her comments on my characterisation of her fave DW character...

Were you dissing Rose again?

Nope apparently I wrote 'Susan' in too cliched a manner...but that was my intention it was supposed to be a pastiche/parody...and the other person didn't understand this, then when I explained she wouldn't back down and I wouldn't change it. (I've checked back since and its 'mysteriously disappeared' so someone got their way.)

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are musicians, and there are instrument owners.

My girlfriend's 13 year old lad plays bass, and lights up with delight every time someone speaks to him about it, asks him a question about it, plays something with him or shows him something. He once said to me that every visit to the bass shop is a free lesson. He loves music.

But I know lots of people who own instruments who want to be seen owning them, but they have no love of the instrument and no desire to play well. Squeeze boxes in general can attract this person (the melodeon is superficially "easy") and the concertina sometimes attracts the sort of person who likes the mystique of an unusual and "difficult" instrument. These people don't want to be shown up by keener musicians.

Me, I pay good money for lessons, practise as near to every day as life allows, and I welcome absolutely any advice or tips you can give me. I want to get as good as I can before I go into my inevitable decline.

At the East Anglian Folk Festival I noticed a woman struggling with a tune on her anglo.

I kindly (I thought) went over and explained to her what button would be easier to use and make the tune easier to play.

She did not like it at all, in fact by the look she gave me, was insulted that I pointed this out to her and that she constantly used the incidental button I was pointing out.

In such a case I would be delighted if someone pointed out to me a better way of playing,I certainly would not be insulted by it. I feel I owe her an apology, but only for upsetting her.

I sometimes think you cannot win and it is better to keep your mouth shut and let them get on with it.

Al :(

Oi!

I claim first place, pleeeaaase, in the queue for your master classes for dummies: anytime, anyplace, rain, snow or fog, by river or stream, at midnight or even five minutes at the stage door would be a boon and privilege! :) :) :)

Edited by Kautilya

Having looked at all of this,I have to say that I have usually found (obviously not regarding the matter of concertina technique - I'm in no position to do that) that giving advice to a stranger which has not been sought can be a very unwelcome and intrusive thing in the recipient's eyes. You have no means of knowing what effect on them your advice, no matter how well meaning, is likely to have. Critique of any sort (never mind the fact that you may see it as advice) is quite often a difficult thing to take even from someone that you know and trust. From a stranger it's rather more unsettling, not to mention intrusive. It's really one thing to ask for advice, it's another to have it thrust upon you unsought.

Unless asked, I'd leave it well alone. (Sorry Al)

I'm surprised so many people have had negative experiences with offering advice about playing. Maybe it's because I live in a bit of a folk/trad music vacuum, but one of the reasons I was always attracted to traditional music is precisely the fact that so many people are willing to share just for the joy of spreading the music around.

Too many grumpy people. It's music, for crying out loud.

In another life, a life of "customer service".... I would often give "free" advice.. after years of banging my head at the thickness and ingratitude of some folks.. I made a sign....

Though I hid this behind my office door... the message is appropriate

Due to the numerous complaints about our free service, there will be no more free service.

Yesterday in a car park a lady was trying to reverse into a gap that was considerably wider than her car.I was sitting in my car waiting for her to do it.After some time I decided to reverse and give her double the width she was trying to get into, but she was determined to get into the gap she started with. I took the advice given to me here and did not get out and tell her how to do it ,but kept quiet. One of the cars that formed the gap started to move and finished at forty five degrees to where it started. I left the car park with her waiting for the owner to come out, but at least I had not upset her.

Thanks

Al <_<

Reminds me of about five years ago when I made a simple, homemade-type Christmas CD with a friend. She'd gotten a bit off-key at times, over time -- and I didn't want to burst her bubble and say so. So, at one point, after recording her (at a particularly bad section) and playing it back, I said, 'Does that sound off-key to you?'

'No,' she replied, confidently.

I left it as is.

(But -- that's not quite the same type of thing as sharing 'shop talk,' really.)

• 1 month later...

At the East Anglian Folk Festival I noticed a woman struggling with a tune on her anglo.

I kindly (I thought) went over and explained to her what button would be easier to use and make the tune easier to play.

She did not like it at all, in fact by the look she gave me, was insulted that I pointed this out to her and that she constantly used the incidental button I was pointing out.

In such a case I would be delighted if someone pointed out to me a better way of playing,I certainly would not be insulted by it. I feel I owe her an apology, but only for upsetting her.

I sometimes think you cannot win and it is better to keep your mouth shut and let them get on with it.

Having looked at your contributions at YT, I can't help but agree with Kautilya, Alan - Anybody who is dumb enough to deliberately turn down advice by somebody of your caliber might as well refuse a hundred+ dollar/pounds/Euro bill lying on the pavement with a note stuck to it that reads "take me!"

I just hope you'll remain as generously giving as you are, even if it not not appreciated - those who know you musically will gladly take any advice you're willing to give.

Those who don't may remain hesitant, because it's hard to tell the types apart - there are those who only believe they are in a position to advise, and there are those who can be sure of it. For someone outside the "scene," it takes a while to figure which of the above is the one approaching you...

Hope that didn't sound too corny or something - I have researched the concertina scene (as well as it reveals itself via the internet) for a little while now, and I can't help but coming back to your work over and over again - your musical breadth and versatitlity is truly amazing. Keep up!

Edited by Ruediger R. Asche

A friend of mine, who is learning fiddle with great dedication, has a very assertive personality (in the best sense of the word). At a summer school few years ago she was in the same situation as Alan's struggling concertinist, practising a tune somewhere, when a stranger passing by stopped and offered a couple of suggestions. She politely but firmly let him know that she had a teacher and that his advice was neither necessary nor welcome.

Next time she saw the man he was on stage at an evening concert. It was James Kelly... She later apologised to him, but it appears James had been more amused than offended, and they had a good chuckle over the incident.

Having looked at your contributions at YT, I can't help but agree with Kautilya, Alan - Anybody who is dumb enough to deliberately turn down advice by somebody of your caliber might as well refuse a hundred+ dollar/pounds/Euro bill lying on the pavement with a note stuck to it that reads "take me!"

I just hope you'll remain as generously giving as you are, even if it not not appreciated - those who know you musically will gladly take any advice you're willing to give.

Those who don't may remain hesitant, because it's hard to tell the types apart - there are those who only believe they are in a position to advise, and there are those who can be sure of it. For someone outside the "scene," it takes a while to figure which of the above is the one approaching you...

Hope that didn't sound too corny or something - I have researched the concertina scene (as well as it reveals itself via the internet) for a little while now, and I can't help but coming back to your work over and over again - your musical breadth and versatitlity is truly amazing. Keep up!

Crikey many thanks for your comments, but on reflection I should not have made my suggestions.

My Wife put my feet firmly on the floor when she said a few days ago

"I shall be glad when you have learnt Alice Blue Gown, You are driving me crazy" !

Your posting has pointed out to me that my fanatical practising sometimes pays off, even if a few people get fed up along the way.

I suppose many offer advice and music here, but it seems to be accepted without any problems, just shows you what a great bit of Worldwide friendship can achieve.

Al

The warmth of response has prompted me to say that I am happy to help anyone to understand my method of playing, beyond that which is available free on my tutor.The basic principle is that I play the tune on the right hand and put chords in (Where I think applicable) on the left hand. If the tune drops down to the left hand it is normally possible to include that note with a left hand chord to prevent a break in the pattern of play.For beginners ,or those interested in this style of play ,I would recommend that you purchase a chord book that lists the notes that form a chord (guitar or piano). Write down on four fullscap sheets (two for Duet or English) the layout and notes that you have left hand and right hand push and pull (for Anglo)and just see what you have got in the way of chord patterns. Some chords repeat on the push and the pull, make a note of these as they are useful for a change of direction. Make sure you make full use of the drone button, the pull C, or G I use a lot. It may be necessary to change the formation of the chord due to your layout, for example low C becomes high C.

Practice runs or scales on the push or the pull this will help you improve your speed or smooth out a tune where you require it.

Do not be scared , just ask.

Al