Looking for a 30b Anglo

djgheist

Greetings all,

First off I am a very new concertina player. I have been lurking here for quite sometime (a little over 5 or 6 months at my latest guestimation).

After reading, asking questions of the concertina makers and concertina shops that I could get in touch with(thanks for all of the info guys) I began to set aside cash to go ahead and purchase one of these amazing instruments.

A few days later I was at a garage sale, and low and behold they were selling a nice looking Stagi/ Bastari ripoff (or a Chinese model, not too sure really) that was in excellent shape and I purchased it for $25.00. It played nicely, no leaks, etc. However like many instruments of this kind it did have a button sticking issue. Normally the issue was quickly resolved by flicking at the button with my finger until it released of it's own accord. I had the instrument for about 4 days before I had to open it up to release a button, and wouldn't you know at that moment the hexagonal end piece that frames the buttons and holds onto the faceplate was knocked out of my hands by my dog. Though I tried to repair it myself, my attempts were futile... I didn't have the correct tools.

After much discussion and what not I had took a chance on a purchase with a music store that seemed legitimate, and in the end they never delivered an instrument to me. In fact this shop gave me a huge run around and in the end I believe that I was the victim of fraud. Luckily I was able to place a stop payment on the purchase, but even so it does leave a bitter taste in my mouth.

So here I am, without an instrument and I am looking to purchase one but my funds are limited (whose aren't)however I am flexible. preferably in the range of $500. to $800.00.

I am hoping someone here has a 30 button anglo w/ riveted action in relatively good working order (cosmetic appearance not terribly important to me, but good condition is) that they would be willing to part with for a reasonable price. Please contact me via PM if you believe you could be of assistance or believe you know someone who could be.

Thanks much

Edited by djgheist

Greetings all,

First off I am a very new concertina player. I have been lurking here for quite sometime (a little over 5 or 6 months at my latest guestimation).

After reading, asking questions of the concertina makers and concertina shops that I could get in touch with(thanks for all of the info guys) I began to set aside cash to go ahead and purchase one of these amazing instruments.

A few days later I was at a garage sale, and low and behold they were selling a nice looking Stagi/ Bastari ripoff (or a Chinese model, not too sure really) that was in excellent shape and I purchased it for $25.00. It played nicely, no leaks, etc. However like many instruments of this kind it did have a button sticking issue. Normally the issue was quickly resolved by flicking at the button with my finger until it released of it's own accord. I had the instrument for about 4 days before I had to open it up to release a button, and wouldn't you know at that moment the hexagonal end piece that frames the buttons and holds onto the faceplate was knocked out of my hands by my dog. Though I tried to repair it myself, my attempts were futile... I didn't have the correct tools.

After much discussion and what not I had took a chance on a purchase with a music store that seemed legitimate, and in the end they never delivered an instrument to me. In fact this shop gave me a huge run around and in the end I believe that I was the victim of fraud. Luckily I was able to place a stop payment on the purchase, but even so it does leave a bitter taste in my mouth.

So here I am, without an instrument and I am looking to purchase one but my funds are limited (whose aren't)however I am flexible. preferably in the range of $500. to $800.00.

I am hoping someone here has a 30 button anglo w/ riveted action in relatively good working order (cosmetic appearance not terribly important to me, but good condition is) that they would be willing to part with for a reasonable price. Please contact me via PM if you believe you could be of assistance or believe you know someone who could be.

Thanks much

You can get a new Rochelle Anglo for less than your quoted price range, and I think that it would meet your criteria. Or am I missing something about what you're hoping to find?

You can get a new Rochelle Anglo for less than your quoted price range, and I think that it would meet your criteria. Or am I missing something about what you're hoping to find?

I am unsure about the Rochelle, and am looking for an instrument that I can grow into and have with me for awhile.

The $25.00 garage sale find was sheer happenstance, but it hooked me. Sadly the action was getting hooked too, under the lip of the faceplate and caused me too much frustration to want to deal with that kind of action again.

Does the Rochelle have riveted action? does it use a reed pan or reed block?

Neither question is addressed in the information I've read elsewhere, the reed block issue isn't as important but it is relevent but the action is important.

I wish there was some kind of instrument rental available to me to tide me over until I can pick up the Herrington concertina I am saving up for.

Edited by djgheist

I am unsure about the Rochelle, and am looking for an instrument that I can grow into and have with me for awhile.

The $25.00 garage sale find was sheer happenstance, but it hooked me. Sadly the action was getting hooked too, under the lip of the faceplate and caused me too much frustration to want to deal with that kind of action again.

Neither question is addressed in the information I've read elsewhere, the reed block issue isn't as important but it is relevent but the action is important.

I wish there was some kind of instrument rental available to me to tide me over until I can pick up the Herrington concertina I am saving up for.

Everything you find for $1000 or less will have accordion-style reeds mounted on blocks. $1200 seems to be the starting-point for pan-set reed construction.

The two kinds that might be worth considering are the Rochelle and a Stagi. I think I've heard that Stagis are lighter-weight, but Rochelle is generally considered to be of superior quality (despite being cheaper). The Rochelle does feature a riveted action. I haven't used Rochelle myself, but the action on her cousin Jackie shows signs of having been designed with great care.

I may have misunderstood the original post, but I wouldn't want to make "rivetted action" an absolute requirement based on a bad experience with a cheapo Chinese or other "hexagonal instrument." If you should decide to take the vintage instrument route there are thousands of hook action Lachenals giving good service.

(You're not after an English, but how many Englishes with rivetted action are there out there, after all?)

Edited by TomB-R

Everything you find for $1000 or less will have accordion-style reeds mounted on blocks. $1200 seems to be the starting-point for pan-set reed construction.

The two kinds that might be worth considering are the Rochelle and a Stagi. I think I've heard that Stagis are lighter-weight, but Rochelle is generally considered to be of superior quality (despite being cheaper). The Rochelle does feature a riveted action. I haven't used Rochelle myself, but the action on her cousin Jackie shows signs of having been designed with great care.

I have played the Rochelle daily since the first of March and find it to be very nice to play. I also have a new Morse (In G/D) and like that even better for the richness of sound. As far as playability the two are different but both are straightforward and with nice actions. The Rochelle is rather large but for the price it is the best I tried when I was looking for a 'real' instrument to start on. BB also offers a refund when you trade up for a better concertina so it is a no-lose situation as far as I am concerned. Others may chime in differently however.

I am new to concertina but have played diatonic accordions and Chemnitzers for 30 years and I think I know what to look for in a smooth action. For my money, the Rochelle is the way to start. Good luck donw whichever road you choose. These instruments are ADDICTIVE. Dave

I may have misunderstood the original post, but I wouldn't want to make "rivetted action" an absolute requirement based on a bad experience with a cheapo Chinese or other "hexagonal instrument." If you should decide to take the vintage instrument route there are thousands of hook action Lachenals giving good service.

Agreed. But I don't believe any of the other inexpensive (under $500), non-vintage concertinas have hook action, either. The Rochelle's riveted action is far superior to anything else in its class or price range. (I think that finding a 30-button Lachenal in good playing condition in the requested price range is about as likely as hitting the jackpot in Las Vegas.)

(You're not after an English, but how many Englishes with rivetted action are there out there, after all?)

Quite a few.

Most Wheatstones, for starters. And Jacks and Jackies. And Albions and Geordies, if I remember correctly. That's not the entire list, but Stagis and cheapo Chinese Englishes don't have the riveted action.