Valentin Osipov

SteveS

And, a short biography of the man, himself.

Valentine Osipov is a virtuoso - soloist, performer on concertina and xylophone. He was born in the year 1930, in the family of circus artists, in Tashkent. His artistic life has lasted more then half a century. From the age of 6 he began to do his first steps on the stage, playing on some eccentric instruments, in due course he mastered such instruments like the concertina, accordion and xylophone. After that Valentine Osipov finished a specialized music school in Frunze and became a professional performer.

Valentine Osipov is now the soloist of many concert organizations in Moscow and Sank-Petersburg, he constantly leads a concert activity, takes part in the best performances of different ensembles of Russia. Also he is a welcome guest abroad.

Nowadays Valentine Osipov is the most popular performer in play on english concertina and xylophone. He is a diplomant of many competitions between variety artists.

From the year 1992 Valentine Osipov is in cultural cooperation with the Song and Dance Company "Skomorokhi". He was on tour with the folk group in Germany, France, Denmark.

Chris

"and his hands never left his wrists" !

No, seriously, his little fingers never leave the support position. This is incredible playing. Thanks for guiding us to these videos, they have made my day.

Geoff.

Edited by Geoff Wooff

No, seriously, his little fingers never leave the support position. This is incredible playing. Thanks for guiding us to these videos, they have made my day.

Geoff.

And made my day, too! And notice, also, how far his thumbs protrude beyond the thumb straps, well past his thumb nails. I find the most comforable position for me is with my thumbs positioned so that about half to two-thirds of my thumb nail is protruding, and that is more than many English players I have observed. BTW, his playing shares some similarities with the late Tommy Elliott.

Chris

Geoff.

And made my day, too! And notice, also, how far his thumbs protrude beyond the thumb straps, well past his thumb nails. I find the most comforable position for me is with my thumbs positioned so that about half to two-thirds of my thumb nail is protruding, and that is more than many English players I have observed. BTW, his playing shares some similarities with the late Tommy Elliott.

Chris

Would the variance in thumb protrusion be anything to do with digit lengths ? I am an "all the way in" player, with my thumb's end joint sticking out of a very slack strap.

Geoff.