Midsummer Night's Dream

A while back a friend's daughter saw me playing the (English) concertina and asked if she could try. She spent the rest of the evening working out a couple of tunes, so I loaned her a leaky old Lachenal. She found it difficult to work with, but didn't lose her enthusiasm, so when I got my Jackies, she got one of them and once more started practicing seriously.

On Wednesday I got to see her school theater's production of Shakespeare's Midsummer Night's Dream... in Swedish. Agnes played Puck. She also played a traditional Swedish flute... and the concertina! :)

A middle school cast (Agnes is 15), but the performing was professional quality. I was pleased and proud! (Quite rightly, so was the director.)

... Agnes has given me permission to post a couple of pictures I took.

post-4-1085218819.jpg

Edited by JimLucas

:) Wow, that would be an interesting show. Think I'd have to try it in English, though!

Congrats to Agnes!

My daughter played the part of Christopher in the comedy 'On The Razzle' this past semester at UMASS. It was a pretty big role, and it all went well. The show was hilarious...AND...

I HEARD ACCORDION MUSIC PLAYED BEFORE THE SHOW! A recording, not live, but, HEY!!!! That's something.

(Anyway, my daughter thought the theatre was fun but she prefers her (UMASS) band 'family' over the drama guild.)

I think the concertina would be so perfect for the stage...Agnes, do some more!

I had fun writing little plays that my daughter and I performed (years ago) and I used the accordion for 'leit-motif' intros of the puppets and so on, and composed short songs. I think I had more fun with it than my daughter, Rainy, did, but...

...when I have a grandkid, I think I'll do some and use the concertina!

Edited by bellowbelle

• 5 years later...
And here's a closeup of Agnes with the concertina.

... That's right, the hair was not done specially for the play. :)

....... (She also plays in a punk band.)

Is that a jack or a jackie?

Jackie.

(As I said in my first post in that thread. ;))

It is a real treat to see a teenager using her hands for something other than texting! Hey - good selling point for the concertina: with both hands needed for playing, you can't operate an iPod! :lol:

So how long will it be before somebody (one of us?) produces a "concertina" app? :ph34r:

It is a real treat to see a teenager using her hands for something other than texting!

My oath! I don't see many girls who don't have mobile phones, iPods, or some other portable device. When I read the title of this post, I thought that you were talking about Mendelssohn. :) Quite interesting though, seeing a girl that plays a concertina; not many of them around here sorry. I thought that the concertina was becoming extinct in Australia. :D

Congratulations to Agnes! It's good to see another teenage girl playing English Concertina and acting in a Shakespearean play! Both very good things.

I must say though, iPods are not a wholly bad thing. I one myself and use it very much for learning music. And yes, I've been known to play the concertina and fiddle with the earbuds lodged firmly in my head (I was practicing a piece along with a recording to see if I could play it up to speed).

I won't even start on texting.......

But at any rate, Agnes looks like a great person, the kind we need a lot more of.

PS I admire the hair. ;) Wish I was that brave sometimes.

It is a real treat to see a teenager using her hands for something other than texting! Hey - good selling point for the concertina: with both hands needed for playing, you can't operate an iPod! :lol:

So how long will it be before somebody (one of us?) produces a "concertina" app? :ph34r:

Not yet, perhaps, but have you seen the

?

That's brilliant! I asked a while back on another forum if anyone had a similar thing for concertina Must be only a matter of time before the button layout is on the screen and you can play in any range tenor, baritone, bass etc.

Hi Michael

Like this one:

http://www.id-werbeagentur.com/concertina/

Thanks

Leo :)

That's brilliant! I asked a while back on another forum if anyone had a similar thing for concertina Must be only a matter of time before the button layout is on the screen and you can play in any range tenor, baritone, bass etc.

For it to be like a real concertina, wouldn't you need an iPhone for each hand? :unsure:

I think someone heard

3QuarterSet 1.0 Preview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEx6npjpnPE&fmt=18

3QuarterSet Anglo Concertina Demo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufcGFEt4HfE&fmt=18

Thanks

Leo :o

• 2 weeks later...

I think someone heard

3QuarterSet 1.0 Preview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEx6npjpnPE&fmt=18

3QuarterSet Anglo Concertina Demo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufcGFEt4HfE&fmt=18

Thanks

Leo :o

And now: "Concertina" - Anglo Concertina for the iPhone/iPod Touch