Sign in to follow this  
premo

Other Concertina Makers

I have had a chance to look at some historical trade directories and have come across the following unfamiliar concertina makers.

Nottingham 1885-86 W.Winrow and sons, accordeon, flutina and concertina manufacturers 19 Hollow Stone.

Sussex 1858 Philip Jewell Instrument maker 7 Bond St Brighton 'concertinas for the millions' new harmonium concertina for sacred music.

Leicester 1876 Adam John Cater, broad reed accordion and concertina maker and dealer in musical instruments 145 Wharf Street (listed in 1890 as repairer only).

Derby 1855 George Wakely accordion and concertina maker.

These are names that I have never seen mentioned in connection with concertinas. Were they actually making our favourite instrument or doing what is still done on e-bay and calling everything with bellows a 'concertina'?

I think a lot of these companies bought Lachenals, and possibly others, then sold them with theirown labels on.

Lachenal did a lot of this. My first concertina, which carried the Lachenal steel reed trade-mark, was labelled as made by Raven's Music Shop of Vauxhall Steps.

Chris

Nottingham 1885-86 W.Winrow and sons, accordeon, flutina and concertina manufacturers 19 Hollow Stone

There were a group of accordion/flutina makers/importers in this area, roughly 1840-1900. Neil Wayne has researched them: WILLIAM WINROW, JABEZ GREGORY, M HOWSON, EDGAR HORNE, Frederick Daft, George Wakeley, Samuel Chettle, J or I Sampson, William H Selby.

Sussex 1858 Philip Jewell Instrument maker 7 Bond St Brighton 'concertinas for the millions' new harmonium concertina for sacred music.

Jewel gained a patent:

1861, Improvements in Concertinas,No.2152

- which shows a German instrument in diagrams - the button rows are parallel to one of the sides.

I have no further info on Adam John Cater and George Wakely

Regarding design and manufacture, Philip Jewell leads to a Davis, maker. In addition to his patent, Jewell wrote an Anglo tutor tailored to his layout, Instructions for Playing Davis's New Patent Chromatic German Concertina. London: The Music Publishing Company, 1862.

I have documented only one Davis concertina in existence.

Has anyone ever seen one?