hand writing score recognition?

m3838

For future reference, if you download a thing called PrimoPDF (free) it converts pdfs into jpegs. It 'cons' the pdf file into believing it is being printed but actually saves it as a jpeg. Once in a while it's really useful thing, and easy enough for a not very interested person (me) to cope with. My computer 'sees' the program as another printer; you send it 'to print' on the Primopdf 'printer' and create a more useable file.

I have a nice arrangement for EC but it is not allowing me to attach the pdf files. Do you have another address I can send to from my personal internet account?

rss

Hi

You have been unable to post files several times. It may be because you have reached the limit of what is allowed.

Cheers Graham

A year or two ago I tried out a number of music scanning programs. I wasn't all that impressed - the error level I experienced was high with all of them. I found I actually got better results from neatly hand-written music than I did from a properly printed score.

I've just tried PhotoScore. I've been impressed by the results from properly printed scores, but it still seems to struggle with handwritten music. I've tested it with scans from "Northern Frisk" and "John of the Greeny Cheshire Way", both of which are published books which reproduce good-quality handwritten scores, but got a lot of errors.

There are two versions. Only PhotoScore Ultimate claims to deal with handwritten as well as printed music. It allows for about a dozen different writing styles, and it is possible to customise these to try to match the source material. Possibly after more experimentation with scanning resolution and styles I might get better results. It is also possible to edit the software's output to correct errors. For the sort of music I am interested in, ie mainly short single-line folk tunes, it's probably easier for me to quickly transcribe it into ABC rather than fiddle with this. However for longer and/or more complicated scores then it might be worth persevering until you can find the optimum settings, and if you are writing out the music yourself you might be able to adapt your handwriting to suit the software's requirements. It seems to me that it could potentially be useful, provided you're prepared to put the work in. It's quite expensive though at £199

There is also PhotoScore Lite which has fewer features and which won't deal with handwritten scores at all. However I got very good results from scanning a printed score. This is a lot cheaper at only £24.

If you want to scan simple tunes from clearly-printed scores then it's worth looking at the Lite version. If you want something more complex or to scan handwritten scores then try the Ultimate version, but make very sure it can achieve the results you want before forking out.

Thanks everybody. I got my answers.

It seems it's easier for me to just re-type the score in Amadeus and listen to it played for some mistakes.

As for scanning, nowadays my Canon Photoshot gives me better resolution and quicker turn-around than scanner. To think of it, I haven't been using my scanner for few years by now.

Personally I'm looking for a software doing recognition of printed score.

Could anyone indicate me a good one (and a free one if this can be found) ?

I'm looking for this this to transpose some pieces I'd like to play to more convenient keys

(by transforming it to .mid or other format, editing it to change the key signature and print back)

David

I type new music into Noteworthy (version 2).

http://www.noteworthysoftware.com

It's not free ($49 when I last looked) but you can enter simple tunes in a few minutes, transpose to any key (while playing back in the same key or a different one - useful for transposing instruments), play at any speed and export to MIDI format.

There is a free player so others can hear your tunes.

The program size is fairly small and the tune files are tiny.

I type new music into Noteworthy (version 2).

http://www.noteworthysoftware.com

It's not free ($49 when I last looked) but you can enter simple tunes in a few minutes, transpose to any key (while playing back in the same key or a different one - useful for transposing instruments), play at any speed and export to MIDI format.

There is a free player so others can hear your tunes.

The program size is fairly small and the tune files are tiny.

Me too. It's my favourite music software programme and cheap, too, compared to many other similar software programmes such as Sibelius or Mozart.

Chris

Personally I'm looking for a software doing recognition of printed score.

Could anyone indicate me a good one (and a free one if this can be found) ?

I'm looking for this this to transpose some pieces I'd like to play to more convenient keys

(by transforming it to .mid or other format, editing it to change the key signature and print back)

David

The Photoscore Midi Lite I mentioned a few posts above seemed to be quite good at scanning from a written score, although it struggled with handwritten ones. it seems to be fairly limited in what you can then do with it, but it will save as a MIDI file so you could then import that into other software to manipulate. It's not free but it's fairly cheap at the moment (half-price offer).

Chart showing Photoscore version features