Wood Ended Anglo In Hawaii:bad Idea?

Hello folks

I'm off to Hawaii for a week in June on my Honeymoon. I don't want to leave home without one so I am planning on bringing my wood ended Geuns/Wakker Anglo. I live in San Francisco where there is some humidity already. Should I be worried about the humidity in Hawaii having detrimental effects on my instrument, the concertina?

Thanks,

Richard

Lucky guy...hawaii is wonderful.

If remember serves, it's pretty dry in most parts. Along the beach in Honolulu, some hotels have outdoor lobbies, with all the computers and cash registers exposed to the elements. If it's dry enough for them, it's probably dry enough for your nice concertina.

I was in hawaii once. The first night, wandering to the beach in Wakikii, I passed a highrise -- and from a balcony way up high, I could hear a fiddler playing Angelina Baker. It was a genuinely surreal experience.

Should I be worried about the humidity in Hawaii having detrimental effects on my instrument, the concertina?

That depends upon where in Hawaii you'll be staying. The humidity isn't a problem in most places there, and in some it's incredibly dry. I wouldn't recommend that you stay the week around Mount Waialeale. The annual rainfall there often exceeds 600 inches....

In most instances, lack of humidity is a larger problem for most instruments including the concertina, but also unless you were to be there for a long period, it should hardly matter. Also you say Hawaii, but it is not all of one piece. Much of the big island is very dry as far as rain while some parts (such as Hilo) and some islands are quite wet.

Actually, Hawaii contains every climactic zone on the planet except Arctic. So yeah, it's kinda hard to generalize. We all think of it as a tropical paradise, but that's only part of the picture. (Of course, I'd still like to go there....)

I just wonder, between being on your honeymoon and being in Hawaii, how much time you're going to have left for playing!

:)

Steven

Richard - congratulations on your upcoming marriage and honeymoon. Hawaii should be a great experience as well as a fine place to make some music. Will we see you this summer at the NHICS in Oregon? It'll be good to hear how your trip went.