Help! I'm bored....

LDT

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Getting disenchanted about playing anglo concertina. Everytime I get a choice what to pick up and play I choose the melodeon. What's wrong with me? How can I enjoy playing again?

Well; I don't think anything's wrong. I don't play any of mine, but they are there, ready and waiting, in case I feel the urge (or someone offers a large sum of money, or TV appearance!). I also have a large CD collection, but haven't played a single one since mid June.

I suspect you feel that your concertina playing has levelled off, whereas you are full of enthusiasm for melodeon, which is a still new instrument for you. Don't worry - the time will come when you reach a plateau with the melodeon, but by then you'll be thinking "I wonder how that tune would go on concertina" and you'll find new ideas and a new enthusiasm for that.

I've been cycling between various instruments like this for 40 years. Sometimes I'll hardly touch one for months on end, then something I've been doing on a different instrument will trigger an idea, which triggers another, and then I can't put it down. Sometimes you want to see if a trick you've learned on concertina can also be applied to melodeon (or vice versa). Sometimes it's simply a matter of trying out a tune on both instruments to see which goes best.

I find this is good because I'm always learning something new on at least one instrument, and when that one hits a plateau I'm ready to turn to another and start learning more on that (you never stop learning). So I'm never bored with music, although I might get bored with a particular instrument for a while.

Getting disenchanted about playing anglo concertina. Everytime I get a choice what to pick up and play I choose the melodeon. What's wrong with me? How can I enjoy playing again?

Are you disappointed with your new Anglo ? Does the intrument live up to your expectations ?

I've been cycling between various instruments like this for 40 years. Sometimes I'll hardly touch one for months on end, then something I've been doing on a different instrument will trigger an idea, which triggers another, and then I can't put it down. Sometimes you want to see if a trick you've learned on concertina can also be applied to melodeon (or vice versa). Sometimes it's simply a matter of trying out a tune on both instruments to see which goes best.

I find this is good because I'm always learning something new on at least one instrument, and when that one hits a plateau I'm ready to turn to another and start learning more on that (you never stop learning). So I'm never bored with music, although I might get bored with a particular instrument for a while.

Took the words right out of my mouth - even the "40 years" bit!

So obviously this is a know syndrome, and you've got it, LDT. I describe myself as a "Phase Person". I get the notion to really brush up on one particular instrument, and neglect the others for days, weeks, sometimes months. The Phase is over when I've got to where I can realistically expect to get.

When I dust off the neglected instruments again, I never find that I'm back to square one with them. On the contrary, I've usually learned something about music in general that benefits them, too. Each Phase leaves me a better all-round musician! Like the man says, you never stop learning. When you do, you're dead. :o

So don't worry! Enjoy your melodeon - the concertina will be waiting for you when the melodion Phase is over, and you'll be competent on two instruments. ;)

Cheers,

John

The gents above have it about right; to that I'd add that, in my case, I began to find that there are tunes and songs that just sound better on one instrument than the other. The full, rich bellow of Erica the melodeon is great for some tunes , but there are times when the "high lonesome" sound that Victoria, Mr. Tedrows creation, can make is just what the tune wants.

I'm sure your ear is educated enough to find what you like about your machines.

Have fun!

RB

Well; I don't think anything's wrong. I don't play any of mine, but they are there, ready and waiting, in case I feel the urge (or someone offers a large sum of money, or TV appearance!). I also have a large CD collection, but haven't played a single one since mid June.

Well, Peter, this begs the question;in that case, just what do you do with your spare time in between waking and sleeping, apart from eating? How can a such good player like you let such a wonderful collection of Anglos (and a duet and an EC) gather dust? BTW I can always offer your CD collection a good home! ;)

Chris

What everybody else said really (although I can only claim 30 years).

I'm playing a lot of low whistle just at the moment, so doubt triggered by seeing Michael McGoldrick play a storming concert the previous weekend, and I'm really enjoying that as ever (but then I know I'd always be hard-pressed to decide between the low whistle and the EC if I could only take one instrument to the mythical desert island).

I've got some gigs coming up so will need to get back onto the EC fairly soon, but I'm not particularly concerned that I'm not playing it much in the interim. I've been juggling several instruments for years, added EC about 5 years ago, and still seem to be managing to keep all the balls up in the air ....

So, LDT, don't worry about the 'switching' of your attention between instruments, it's pretty much just a natural part of what happens when you do play several instruments. Something will crop up, either a tune or a gig or a session or whatever, that takes you back to the concertina; and you may well find that the time away has helped in a subliminal way, increasing your knowledge of the music even if not working on the muscle-memory and specific technical aspects of playing concertina.

It's also one of the bonuses of playing music for pleasure, not money - you have that choice as an amateur in a way that you don't as a professional, where you've got to go and play one instrument while your heart would rather you were playing another.

I also have a large CD collection, but haven't played a single one since mid June.

I haven't played any 'cd's but then that's coz I put them straight on my mp3 player. lol!

Are you disappointed with your new Anglo ? Does the intrument live up to your expectations ?

nothing wrong with that except a few notes that sometimes buzz (but never consistantly...odd....I think I just need to play it more). Its just me that's the problem.

So, LDT, don't worry about the 'switching' of your attention between instruments, it's pretty much just a natural part of what happens when you do play several instruments. Something will crop up, either a tune or a gig or a session or whatever, that takes you back to the concertina; and you may well find that the time away has helped in a subliminal way, increasing your knowledge of the music even if not working on the muscle-memory and specific technical aspects of playing concertina.

I'm just worried I'll forget how to play if I leave it too long.

I'm coming back to playing the fiddle after not playing it for more than three or four times, for perhaps an hour total, the past four or five years. I am very happy now that I didn't sell it when I thought I'd never pick it up again. My tone and intonation have both improved- perhaps because I have the sound of a fixed pitch instrument in my brain now?

I agree with what everybody has said about phases and plateaus.

I pretty much agree with everyone else's experiences so far.

Myself I played EC for about 20 years, then about 9 years ago I went over to the melodeon for about 4 years - picked up the EC a couple of times in that time. My main interest is Scandinavian folk music, and I explored the repertoire of the melodeon playing areas of Sweden in that time. Then after going to a great festival in Sweden I felt inspired by the slängpolskas and polskas of Skåne, Småland, Jämtland, Härjedalen and western Sweden, which I realised would work well on the EC. From that day I've been playing mostly EC (and occasional Swedish zither, willow flute and härjedalspipa) - the melodeon helped me acquire a greater understanding and appreciation for the style of music as well as teaching me something about its interpretation, especially for dance. I'm branching out more into song accompaniment too using the EC (like with my recently acquired baritone).

I say, just let your fancy take you in whatever musical direction - you may well find that you encounter just one thing that sparks your interest and reawakens your AC playing. And enjoy the journey for the journey's sake.

I understand your feelings. I play a number of instruments and am always learning another. I started with mouth organ and whistle when I was about 6 years old and I'm 70 this year. I've often been advised by 'experts' to stick to one and get really good- but that's not why I play. I can hold my own on melodeon in most sessions or as a solo performer and singer but the Anglo gives me more pleasure in other situations. and both inform each other as do fiddle and flute etc.

I think the thing is to love the music and want to get it out. The instrument is just that , a vehicle for the spirit. I often am happiest with my voice, lilting or whistling or singing nonsense whilst beating out a rhythm on my body (they can't touch you for it!)

The pleasures and frustrations of developing the technical and other skills allow you to reach some degree of 'mastery' of the craft of making music but it's the music that matters. I know some great technicians who can't really play good music and vice versa. .

My advice is to get out and play where you can at the level that is acceptable to others. Just put the conc on a shelf , not in a box and it will look at you , then one day you will pick it up when the time and mood is right. I tend not to sell instruments off unless I'm desperate for the money for a new one!

All the best.

My main interest is Scandinavian folk music, and I explored the repertoire of the melodeon playing areas of Sweden in that time. Then after going to a great festival in Sweden I felt inspired by the slängpolskas and polskas of Skåne, Småland, Jämtland, Härjedalen and western Sweden, which I realised would work well on the EC.

Ah, Scandi music is just the business on the EC - sounds gorgeous, challenging but satisfying to play, and somehow the EC is just tonally and mechanically made for it. Maybe I will get the Wheatstone out tonight after all, now you've said that, Ben Paley's 'Swedish Fiddle Music' book here I come ...

Ah, Scandi music is just the business on the EC - sounds gorgeous, challenging but satisfying to play, and somehow the EC is just tonally and mechanically made for it. Maybe I will get the Wheatstone out tonight after all, now you've said that, Ben Paley's 'Swedish Fiddle Music' book here I come ...

And there's plenty more really good music in the "Svenska Låtar" collection covering most of the provinces, as well as some great websites with music and song. Send me a PM if you'd like details etc. Ben Paley's book is very good.

Steve

Well, Peter, this begs the question;in that case, just what do you do with your spare time in between waking and sleeping, apart from eating? How can a such good player like you let such a wonderful collection of Anglos (and a duet and an EC) gather dust? BTW I can always offer your CD collection a good home! ;)

Well; while I was racing my bike (1996-2006), I hardly touched the instruments.

Here's a clue:

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1540989

It gets me away from the computer, but then the photos from the previous week need to be input by midnight of the following Tuesday, to be eligible for the weekly competition (I've had two wins, so far!). It feels a bit like a full-time job, since I've done little else for the past two and a half days! Long hours on the computer ..... aaaargh!!

I was concertina-spotting while I was away, but didn't see any (probably looking in the wrong places).

Regards,

Peter. :)

My trouble is I've been caught up in a new (well, a couple of years now) interest in sound recording. I'm beginning to get that into proportion and finding my interest in concertina and performing again - but now I have a rather neat little recording studio. What comes around ...

Chris

And there's plenty more really good music in the "Svenska Låtar" collection covering most of the provinces, as well as some great websites with music and song. Send me a PM if you'd like details etc. Ben Paley's book is very good.

Steve

I didn't send a PM as I suspect more people than I would be interested in the answer. The Ben Paley book is unavailable as far as I can tell. What other resources for concertina friendly Scandi music could you point me to?

Randall