Help! I'm bored....

LDT

I've figured out..I think ..what the problem is. I have no goal. I think I need a workshop, or and event of some kind to give me that target to aim for, and motivation. Its my lazy metality again. I don't do anything unless there is a end result.

A goal sounds like a fine idea--for instance my current goal is learning enough Christmas music to be able to do some parties or busking while I am off work during those few weeks around Christmas.

Alan

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Getting disenchanted about playing anglo concertina. Everytime I get a choice what to pick up and play I choose the melodeon. What's wrong with me? How can I enjoy playing again?

I have a few notions to suggest. In my opinion, the best way to deal with boredom is change - so you need to find ways to induce change into your concertina routine without getting away from the instrument (and so maintain the proficiency you've worked hard to attain).

First, a break of a few days might be a good thing. A few days though, not a few weeks. Once you get out of the "habit" it's easy to let days slip to weeks or even months.

Second, change your routine. Play at different times of the day and for different durations. You'll likely feel different about your playing in the morning than if you play late at night. If you've been playing once a day, change to a couple of shorter periods a few hours apart. Try learning and playing something different than your usual type of music.

Third, make a point to spend time listening to recordings of favored concertina players, but also add in some new ones if possible. If you have a chance to get out and spend time with other players that's good too. Hearing different techniques may renew your interest.

Fourth, start playing in different locations. Different rooms if possible, otherwise at least different places within the rooms you normally use. People are often unaware of how the dynamics of sound change as one moves about an enclosed (or even semi-enclosed) space. To test a space, try playing something simple on your concertina while moving around your house or apartment and listen carefully to the character of the sound as it reflects off the hard surfaces in the area. When you find a spot that sounds different (but good), set up a chair and play there.

Fifth, if you have access to a concertina in a different tuning, then switch to playing it for a time. You'll likely find that hearing familiar tunes in a different key is refreshing. If you don't have access to a different tuning, try learning some of your more familiar tunes in a different key on your instrument. It'll likely be a bit of a challenge, but your existing familiarity with the tunes will be helpful and you may find the key change puts a different “flavor” on a tune you’ve become bored with otherwise.

Edited by Bruce McCaskey