23 replies to this topic

#19 gcoover

gcoover

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 06:46 PM

Well, if some folks can't view some of the "Nancy" videos on YouTube, I guess they'll just have to learn to play the tune themselves!

In the spirit of the OP (that's me) and the spirit of Christmas, here's Tom Clough's wonderful Northumbrian pipe tune "Nancy" with button numbering and directions for Anglo - and you can play the whole thing, including all the variations, on just one row.

Of course, anyone else who can read music notation on whatever type of concertina can also play along.

Thanks to Pete for his Christmas gift of the abc's!

Gary

Attached Files

#20 Wolf Molkentin

Wolf Molkentin

Ineluctable Opinionmaker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2667 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 07:31 PM

Gary - my understanding was and is not that watching a video would anyone spare the effort of learning a tune (how should that happen?), but to get an impression of a respective style or some inspiration.

However - thank you for frequently and generously sharing your work here!

Best wishes - Wolf

PS: and yes, "Nancy" is a wonderful tune - has lead me to resume my practising it again and again today...

#21 Don Taylor

Don Taylor

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1116 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 03:24 PM

Here is a pipe version by Chris Ormston that includes a picture of Tom Clough with Nancy, his wife. The tune Nancy begins at about 1:39 in. Very interesting video and musical history of the Clough family.

https://youtu.be/5j2Z161Rzg4

#22 Bubo

Bubo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 09:31 PM

I just purchased Christmas Concertina and have started learning a few tunes. It's both challenging and wonderful, but I have a little question. Are the tunes in this book written in a different style from how one would play Irish music on the concertina (which is what I usually do), and what would that style be called? Hope this makes sense ... 

#23 gcoover

gcoover

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 04:37 PM

Hi Bubo,

Thanks for getting the book and hope you enjoy working through it! If you want to play in the single-note Irish style then you can approximate that by playing only the melody, but all the tunes in Christmas Concertina are arranged in what would be called the "harmonic style" to take advantage of the Anglo keyboard and it's ability to play full accompaniments for a nice big church organ sound.

Not sure how these same tunes would sound with Irish ornaments - but I'd love to hear it!

Gary

#24 Bubo

Bubo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 07:44 AM

Gary - the arrangements are really wonderful. I've become more familiar with them now and I really like the organ sound! And thank you for the clarification.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Christmas, Anglo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users