Symphonion

post-3689-1173537124_thumb.jpgpost-3689-1173536962_thumb.jpgpost-3689-1173536989_thumb.jpgPicked this up in Germany on and antique hunt, we were required to purchase it along with other antiques we were wanting. Have only basic knowledge as to the history of this old music maker. It is coin operated and I have attached photos if anyone can help me with it's possible worth in todays market. Any other information would be appreciated, thanks...Eric

post-3689-1173537124_thumb.jpgpost-3689-1173536962_thumb.jpgpost-3689-1173536989_thumb.jpgPicked this up in Germany on and antique hunt, we were required to purchase it along with other antiques we were wanting. Have only basic knowledge as to the history of this old music maker. It is coin operated and I have attached photos if anyone can help me with it's possible worth in todays market. Any other information would be appreciated, thanks...Eric

This is not the site for music boxes, but I do have a suggestion for you. Since you are from Texas, there is a good-sized club for people with these sorts of antique music boxes, I think based in Houston. They occassionally set up various demonstrations of their members' treasures when there are old house tours there. Unfortunately, I do not remember their club's name....only that there were clearly some experts in the group, especially at renovation. Perhaps you could Google around for it, or ask some of the local high end antique folks, like David Lackey etc.

Out of curiosity, and in the nicest possible way, what made you ask about that on a concertina fetishists' website? I'm intrigued to know what the connection is.

Symphonium is the trade name for some of these mechanical music boxes, as well as the pre-concertina 'symphonium' invented by Wheatstone. That's why many of us now use the alternative name - 'symphonion' - for Wheatstone's instrument. So there's no real mystery why this was put here - although Eric obviously didn't bother to look around much - though I'm puzzled why this thread uses the 'onion' suffix rather than 'onium'as a title.

Edit to add: Stupidly, I didn't look at large pictures, which have symphONION emblazoned in large gold letters. Doh! I can forsee this leading to yet another version of the Konzertina/Concertina discussion.

Edited by wes williams

Picked this up in Germany on and antique hunt, we were required to purchase it along with other antiques we were wanting. Have only basic knowledge as to the history of this old music maker. It is coin operated and I have attached photos if anyone can help me with it's possible worth in todays market. Any other information would be appreciated, thanks...Eric

It's very collectable, worth maybe $10K or more.

The group you want to contact isthe MBSI (Music Box Society International) (a.k.a. Mighty Big Spenders :P )

We have a Web site, tho I don't have it handy.

Most MBSI members would buy the Symphonion and put up with the other "stuff" that you have. I'm sure you'll find a willing buyer for it, especially if it's in playing condition, as they often are (no leather bellows or pads to go bad, but springs do break).

The metal tongues of music boxes are similar to concertina reeds, but are plucked rather than blown. Tuning them is the same as a reed -- file tip or root. But yes, this is off topic.

--Mike K.

Out of curiosity, and in the nicest possible way, what made you ask about that on a concertina fetishists' website? I'm intrigued to know what the connection is.

I think you are all are looking at the wrong item in question.

I think the query is about the little statue behind the Symphonion in the photo on the left.

Isn't that a concertina the figure is holding?

Perry

Hi All,

About 30 years ago I used to frequent a marvellous pub.... The Rose tree or Holly Tree - I forget - at Cauldron Low in the Derbyshire Peaks which had one bar with a dozen or so of these machines in. These were all in working order and the landlord had a load of old pennies behind the bar which he would hand out for customers to operate the machines.

The whole pub was stuffed to the rafters with valuable antiques, much of the oak furniture used in the pub dating back to the 1600s. I would love to think that the pub is still there unchanged, but I somehow doubt it..... anyone else been there ?

Dave P

Edited by Dave Prebble

The Prince Albert at Frieth had one; there the landlord died and that was that, 'time for a revamp'. They're usually called polyphons I think. That was a brill place too; he fetched the beer up from the cellar in a jug, and it was Brakspeares at that. OOOOOOOoooh there's something sadly gone for all time, Brakspeares Old Ale. No longer with us. I played the accordian there on a couple of new years eves.

Of course if you went to the Crown at Skirmet and went in the lounge, you sat in a tatty 3 piece suite and the Landlord served you at your ease; very genteel in a scruffy sort of way. (he also fetched Brakspeares own up from the cellar the hard way)

What a fine brewery Brakspeares was

The Prince Albert at Frieth had one; there the landlord died and that was that, 'time for a revamp'. They're usually called polyphons I think. That was a brill place too; he fetched the beer up from the cellar in a jug, and it was Brakspeares at that. OOOOOOOoooh there's something sadly gone for all time, Brakspeares Old Ale. No longer with us. I played the accordian there on a couple of new years eves.

Of course if you went to the Crown at Skirmet and went in the lounge, you sat in a tatty 3 piece suite and the Landlord served you at your ease; very genteel in a scruffy sort of way. (he also fetched Brakspeares own up from the cellar the hard way)

What a fine brewery Brakspeares was

Not completely lost - see http://www.brakspear-beers.co.uk/brakspear2006_history.htm

I had a pint of Brakspear Best last week and it was very good. Not sure how it compares to the Henley stuff though.

You housed yet Dirge or just sleeping with the sheep? ;)

- W

Well it's made by Charles Wells under contract so you'd expect it to be OK, and it may be the receipe has been handed over complete too, but I bet they won't bother to make Old, or the fine mild the original used to do. I suppose it's still technically Chiltern water though.

I can get Old Speckled Hen in the local supermarket here, amazingly.

We're on to our second house, matey, take possession next week. On a clear day you can see Peru, apparently. Didn't like the first one, no workshop. And so neat Sally tidied me into a cupboard if I stood still.

Well it's made by Charles Wells under contract so you'd expect it to be OK, and it may be the receipe has been handed over complete too, but I bet they won't bother to make Old, or the fine mild the original used to do. I suppose it's still technically Chiltern water though.

Now brewed with Cotswold water by new owners Wychwood in Witney - using a lot of the original equipment and techniques (and I assume recipes) from the Henley Brewery and they claim to be working hard on matching the flavour to the original - and apparently Mr Brakspear first brewed in Witney before moving to Henley.

We're on to our second house, matey, take possession next week. On a clear day you can see Peru, apparently. Didn't like the first one, no workshop. And so neat Sally tidied me into a cupboard if I stood still.
Maybe she's trying to tell you something :lol:

You might want to contact Bobby Skinner here in New Orleans -- he's a collector, historian and restorer of antique player pianos and "mechanical orchestras," as he once explained it to me. (Luckily his collection was unharmed during the storm.) He could probably tell you quite a bit about the piece you have there.

I'll send you his e-mail address privately.

- Anthony

Dan,

Thanks for the suggestions.

Best Regards,

Eric

This is not the site for music boxes, but I do have a suggestion for you. Since you are from Texas, there is a good-sized club for people with these sorts of antique music boxes, I think based in Houston. They occassionally set up various demonstrations of their members' treasures when there are old house tours there. Unfortunately, I do not remember their club's name....only that there were clearly some experts in the group, especially at renovation. Perhaps you could Google around for it, or ask some of the local high end antique folks, like David Lackey etc.

No connection, just got lucky in my google search under forums music box.

Eric

Wes,

Thanks for the great iniformation, even though some of your group believes I have stumbled into the wrong forum, it has afforded me some of the best thoughts yet. I do believe when research is appropriate on a antiquity, no stone should be left unturned.

An Appreciative Texan,

Eric

Symphonium is the trade name for some of these mechanical music boxes, as well as the pre-concertina 'symphonium' invented by Wheatstone. That's why many of us now use the alternative name - 'symphonion' - for Wheatstone's instrument. So there's no real mystery why this was put here - although Eric obviously didn't bother to look around much - though I'm puzzled why this thread uses the 'onion' suffix rather than 'onium'as a title.

Edit to add: Stupidly, I didn't look at large pictures, which have symphONION emblazoned in large gold letters. Doh! I can forsee this leading to yet another version of the Konzertina/Concertina discussion.