My New Toy!

Turns out the software sampler synth I'm experimenting with has a scripting language that allows you to do pretty much anything with MIDI data. The AMC-30 concertina puts out a constant velocity for each note and then modulates the volume with MIDI volume control messages. This makes it difficult to use it with any sort of synth that switches between samples based on the note velocity.

Today's experiment was to see if I can capture the volume messages and translate them into the next note velocity rather than using the constant value sent by the AMC-30. I also pass through and remap the volume messages. This allows me to play the multi-velocity sampled accordions and vastly extends the versatility of the instrument.

Pretty cool. I also was able to confirm that all this works on my laptop!

I'll try and post something with the new, more expressive setup in the next few days.

Edited by eskin

They are a stodgy lot around here sometimes - fancy nobody replying to something as novel as this! I'm also interested in pushing the instrument way beyond the pale - click on some of the links at bottom below. I'm using Cubase. Good luck, Michael!

Very good playing. Is it English you play?

I just don't get the meaning of "pushing way beyond the pale". Are you after copmposing disarrayed Shnidtke-esque music or just thinking of applying concertina to where it's unthinkable (and what that may be?)?

But one thing: MIDI instrument sounds exactly like MIDI instrument. There is no breath to it, I'm very puzzled by the fact of their popularity. Could that be a desire to have more than one paid for?

I also, btw, don't believe that you don't care if your music is liked by the audience, as you state on the website. Why would one say it, then publish the music, then ask people to listen to it? Is that sort of cover from critisizm, just in case? Nothing to hide from, the playing is very good.

That's the kind of music and style I'm learning to play, and is quite an inspiration for me.

So thank you ( and I really hope you do care that I liked it).

I just don't get the meaning of "pushing way beyond the pale". Are you after copmposing disarrayed Shnidtke-esque music or just thinking of applying concertina to where it's unthinkable (and what that may be?)?

But one thing: MIDI instrument sounds exactly like MIDI instrument. There is no breath to it, I'm very puzzled by the fact of their popularity. Could that be a desire to have more than one paid for?

Simpleton...........! Incapable of seeing beyond your own limitations and yet incapable of demonstrating ones own capabilitities!!!!!!! Who are you? Lets see what you can do......... opinionated tosser!

They are a stodgy lot around here sometimes - fancy nobody replying to something as novel as this! I'm also interested in pushing the instrument way beyond the pale - click on some of the links at bottom below. I'm using Cubase. Good luck, Michael!

Very good playing. Is it English you play?

I also, btw, don't believe that you don't care if your music is liked by the audience, as you state on the website. Why would one say it, then publish the music, then ask people to listen to it? Is that sort of cover from critisizm, just in case? Nothing to hide from, the playing is very good.

That's the kind of music and style I'm learning to play, and is quite an inspiration for me.

So thank you ( and I really hope you do care that I liked it).

i agree, there is nothing wrong with wanting your audience to like your music! in fact, many musicians view playing music as a two way conversation. it is always a different experience playing for someone that knows what's up and someone who does not. i always play better for my grandma because i know she wont be tricked by cheap tricks like most other people i play for, who cant tell a jig from a reel or a concertina from a clarinet.

wanting to be liked and wanting your art to be liked are very healthy things.

and i agree, the music is nice, why wouldnt someone like it? i think saying stuff like that is apologizing for the music, and it does not need to be apologized for.

my real response to the thread is below in a separate post.

Simpleton...........! Incapable of seeing beyond your own limitations and yet incapable of demonstrating ones own capabilitities!!!!!!! Who are you? Lets see what you can do......... opinionated tosser!

huh?

Edited by david_boveri

Simpleton...........! ......... opinionated tosser!

FWIW - In my experience descending into the language of personal attack tends to undermine your arguments rather than enhance them. People tend to just read the insults rather than the substance of your posts. :(

Michael,

You got a new toy! Wahhhhhhh I want a new toy... now I feel better.

Have you figured out how to get the dynamics to feel life like? If so, can you post a file of that?

I have not yet heard a convincing midi live/real time performance that "has breath" ( to almost quote m3838 ). Without that feeling right, the soul, the voice of the concertina is lost to my ears.

Hi Jody,

That is my goal, to have both the ability to play non-traditional sounds using a MIDI module, and using PC based sampling software, high-quality multi-sampled acoustic concertina and button accordion sounds. I'm happy with the progress so far and should be able to post something more realistic in a month or so...

Cheers,

Michael