Anyone Going To Catskills Irish Week?

I have room this summer for one event, and it looks like it may be the Irish Arts Week in East Durham, N.Y. in early July. I haven't been before. Anyone else going? Share room, ride, etc? Let me know offline (or make fun of me here, or whatever).

Ken

Ken, I will almost certainly be going, have been the last two years and had a fab time both trips; but I'm flying in and have stay arrangements with another friend. Just should warn you that most of the accomodation is old (still fairly acceptable) and the 'double rooms' are tiny - you probably won't want to share in most places, trust me on that. Also try to plan on staying for the last Saturday night, as although you'll be totally musically saturated by then, you'll get to see/hear some of the very best sessions, the standard is very high, it's the teachers and performers so I myself have never deluded myself that I should play, but it's an education and a joy to hear. Hope to see you there, you'll have a great time!

Alan.

• 3 weeks later...

Here some additional news posted on the Web site by Paul Keating:

"I am also delighted to announce that Dr. Gearoid O’hAllmhurain who was invaluable in the early evolution of the Catskills Irish Arts Week will be returning as a teacher, lecturer and program adviser and will oversee a very special focus on the concertina this year.  "

Looks like it might be the year to go!

• 3 months later...

I spoke with the people organizing classes at Irish Arts Week a few days ago and thought I'd pass on some information for anyone interested.

As their website indicates, there will be a total of six concertina classes offered each day (about 90 minutes each), two basic, two intermediate and two advanced (with each class level offered both morning and afternoon). One can elect to take one class (concertina or otherwise) per day as a 'part time' student or two a day as a 'full time' student.

I'm told that the two intermediate and two advanced concertina classes are each about half full right now (classes are limited to 15 students each), and the basic classes have only a few people signed up. The class schedule may be seen here (note that the afternoon classes are listed on the bottom of the page).

It's not my intent to evangelize this mid-July event, rather just to mention that there are still several concertina class openings available and it's only two months away. I've heard many good things about Irish Arts Week from previous year attendees and I've decided to give it a try this time around.

Bruce,

Thanks for the reminder to get off my duff and register for concertina classes.

(Just did.) It sounds like it will be a glorious week.

I'll be driving from northern KY (Cincinnati area) and have room for a passenger or two. Thru Cleveland/Northern OH with a NY or Pennsylvania route possible.

Greg

Greg,

I am interested in going. I had planned on attending and then changed plans. But maybe I can change back. I love that you are driving through Cleveland. It would be great to catch a ride with you. What are you doing about lodging?

Helen

Ooooooooooooo a roommate,

This sounds promising. I was going to camp so I could ride to the workshops with Greg as I want to ride to the Catskills with him. Hence no car.

Email me offsite and let's talk. Greg I still want to ride with you to New York. May still be camping. Oh glory.

Helen

Although with the chanting starting already, should be rainfree. :lol:

(There will be no singing from me. Just so we are clear.)

Ooooooooooooo a roommate,

This sounds promising. I was going to camp so I could ride to the workshops with Greg as I want to ride to the Catskills with him. Hence no car.

Email me offsite and let's talk.

Helen,

Did you get my reply? I'm not sure if I did it right.

Yes, let's talk.

• 1 month later...

So where are folks actually staying? I will be at the Shamrock, and Micheal Reid is there also IIRC. The rest of you?

I'll probably bring a decent telescope and run a star party some night during the week. I've also offered to run a geology field trip to look at some interesting folded rocks over by the Hudson River (sort of a miniature Jura Mountains or Valley and Ridge belt). When I made these two offers over on The Session web site a while back, all the interest was in geology not astronomy, opposite of what I expected. If any of you are interested in a trip, let me know how/where to find you.

Ken

So where are folks actually staying?  I will be at the Shamrock, and Micheal Reid is there also IIRC.  The rest of you?

I'll probably bring a decent telescope and run a star party some night during the week.  I've also offered to run a geology field trip to look at some interesting folded rocks over by the Hudson River (sort of a miniature Jura Mountains or Valley and Ridge belt).  When I made these two offers over on The Session web site a while back, all the interest was in geology not astronomy, opposite of what I expected.  If any of you are interested in a trip, let me know how/where to find you.

Ken

Ken,

If you can drag me away from a night of music I wouldn't mind doing some stargazing.. I will have my AP130 with me should the mood strike me. Irish Music under the stars ;).

I am not sure where you will be able to find me... I am staying at the Shamrock House in the Bording House.. but anyone who has spent much time at Irish Arts Week before should know that you don't spend much time in your room :).

I am thinking of Taking Father Charlie's Beginner Class and I will be taking one of Billy McComiskey's box classes (Not that I am really ready for it, but he gave me permission too so...) so you might check for me there.

--

Bill

Ken,

I like star gazing and geology. I'm camping at Lynch's Pot o' Gold. I will be the one who is bent over and aching in the morning! Oh yes, I'll have the Carroll concertina. Looking forward!

Greg J

Hi Britt,

I'm planning to come down for the week and camp and it would be great to meet up again. Never been before and I haven't registered for the concertina workshops since they are Anglo and I'm an EC. Having said that I had a great workshop at the Comhaltas in Ottawa with Frank Edgely, translating his class on ornamentation to the EC was fun and not too difficult.

I have been told that although the workshops are the focus of the Arts Week that the fringe sessions that go on are alone worth the visit. Any comments?

Ken, I would love to stargaze. I only have a passing interest in astronomy but it would be great to get a guided tour :D

Hi Robin, I am also an EC player who is heading to the Catskills for Irish Week, or at least some of it if depending on work, but I am taking a fiddle class. It is a shame that there never seem to be any EC workshops around North America. Maybe we should call the EC a new name depending on which type of music we are playing, like jazz concertina or contra concertina or ?irish? concertina. Maybe if we did that there would be more workshops. They do have a PA workshop at the Catskills this year. Hope to see some of you all there. You should be easy to spot. Mike