Anyone Know What This Is..?

Chris Ghent

The Jedcertina has been mentioned here a few times before. A search on the name turns up five Topics.

Basically, it's an attempt to imitate a piano-keyboard layout in the buttons of a concertina. My personal opinion is that musically it's a total failure. The range is too limited, and the "flow" of musical phrases is more like a "slosh". I had one once, and sold it for next to nothing. I had lost interest in it even as a curiosity.

By the way, if I were thinking of bidding (I'm not), I would request a photo of the left-hand end. I'm not suggesting suspicion, just reasonable care. I suspect that it's in fairly good shape, because I doubt that it was ever played much.

And intereting "history" note: Lachenal had separate runs of serial nos. for anglos, Englishes, and duet. This Jedcertina's serial no. seems to be from the "anglo" run.

And interesting "history" note:  Lachenal had separate runs of serial nos. for anglos, Englishes, and duet.  This Jedcertina's serial no. seems to be from the "anglo" run.

All JEDcertinas seem to have "anglo" run numbers - they were a late addition to the Lachenal range. They've been reported with numbers around 99xxx, but its suspected that this is a misread and the initial 1 is hidden behind fretwork. Mostly they are around 199xxx up, like this one.

Edited by wes williams