What does FRETST mean in WHeatstone ledgers?

I read it as Frets T and a few lines down another is written Fret T. Not sure what it means, perhaps the pattern of the fretwork? Can it be T for Triumph?

No, not Triumph. The model number (2nd column) for #35350 is 37A, which indicates a "duet", while #35353 is a model 6, which is an English.

The "T" would seem to indicate either a fret design or the person who would be doing the fretwork. I think I recall other entries that say FRETS K. Maybe also with other initials?

I'm leaning toward the initial indicating a particular craftsman (subcontractor?) rather than a particular design, since the "T" is associated with instruments in a wide variety of sizes, even #35309, which is a 3½" miniature. (On that instrument, the SP for a model designation just means "special", which could be just about anything.)

I know that there are other entries that say 'Duet' which may be Maccann?

Yes. Wheatstone never used the Maccann name.

I'm leaning toward the initial indicating a particular craftsman (subcontractor?)....

Aha!

Page 37 in the same ledger has many instruments with the notation "FRETS BY K" and others with "FRETS BY T". So it would appear that "K" and "T" are two individuals who either designed or cut the fretwork, possibly both.

In the ledger, it calls out E 55key FRETST. Can anyone help with the meaning for FRETST?

Rod,

A photograph of the instrument could be a big help, and you don't mention if it has metal ends - which could be very significant here in that a few pages earlier it says (against the miniature 35309) "TURNED IN FRET. T." So does T signify "turned-in"?

But, if it doesn't have metal ends, I'll have to think again... :unsure:

Edited by Stephen Chambers

Aha!

Page 37 in the same ledger has many instruments with the notation "FRETS BY K" and others with "FRETS BY T". So it would appear that "K" and "T" are two individuals who either designed or cut the fretwork, possibly both.

Hmmm, maybe I should have gone back another page? :unsure:

Only it does seem rather a strange thing to be recording in the ledgers, but then again, it would have been a strange time to be trying to keep a business (that wasn't directly linked with "war-work") going - in fact the following year production of anything "non-essential" became pretty much impossible... :(

I'm assuming that the model 7x were Cranes. Mine's listed as a model 74.

Up into the 20's are English models.

30's through 41 are "Duet" (Maccann system).

50's and 60's seem to be anglos.

70's through 80 (potentially 81, but did Wheatstone make any Cranes with that many buttons?) are Crane/Triumph.

Now if only I could do as well with my Lachenal EC.

I'm sure somebody here could tell you what model it is. Maybe even an approximate age. But with no ledgers, it's hard to say more.

70's through 80 (potentially 81, but did Wheatstone make any Cranes with that many buttons?) are Crane/Triumph.

Thank you Jim. I was looking in the price lists to see about a model 74 but did not see one.

Did the SA keep records of who was assigned a particular insturment? That could be interesting :o