38 key Jeffries

Fiona

Hi

I'm new here so please be gentle! I helped clear out my mum's garage at the weekend and have come across a 38 key Jeffries. My knowledge of concertinas is restricted to the last hour on the internet and realising that a Jeffries is a highly sought after piece of kit! It's general condition is fair and is in need of restoration ( 2 or 3 buttons missing) but since I am not an expert I cant tell what key it is (due to being partially deaf!). Obviously I would require some assistance in valuing/confirming identity of the concertina. It is in a wooden hexagonal box which I am unsure if it is the original or whether Great Uncle Donald had it made for the squeezebox. It has C Jeffries etched on the right hand side between the top and 2nd row. The bellows are green/gold pattern.

If there's any further info that anyone requires or any advice for cleaning up the metal end plates.

I am located in central belt Scotland.

Many thanks

'Til I see a single picture, this stinks SCAM

Yes, you know what a Jeffries is but you don't know anybody who can tell wich key is it in... and no a 30k, no, is a 38 key! OMG, the f****ng prize of the lottery !

Thanks.

Fer

PD: I don't believe a single word.

Edited by Fergus_fiddler

Yes, you know what a Jeffries is but you don't know anybody who can tell wich key is it in... and no a 30k, no, is a 38 key! OMG, the f****ng prize of the lottery !

You may be right, or you may be wrong, but before you "scream" accusations, you should investigate.

The usual procedure is to ask for pictures and more information, then evaluate the response (or lack of response).

'Cause if you're wrong, no apology will be adequate.

You may be right, or you may be wrong, but before you "scream" accusations, you should investigate.

The usual procedure is to ask for pictures and more information, then evaluate the response (or lack of response).

OK. For the sake of politeness, I've to remember:

1) Not to be honest & say out loud what I'm thinking

2) Not to post after Monday's session :rolleyes:

Anyway, I still think it stinks scam. If I'm wrong, better then for both the seller and the buyer (not only for the seller)

Cheers,

Fer

I think that was thoroughly unnecessary, Fiona, and I for one am a bit embarrassed. Sorry about that.

I'd suggest you take it to a pro restorer for an opinion; you've worked out that it's worth a lot so you can see it's worth investing the time in selling it carefully. Concertina folk are very friendly and helpful, by and large (and possibly despite your initial impression)

I can't advise who to go to in your neck of the woods; I know Theo at 'The Box Shop' , somewhere near Scotland, is sound from personal experience but there must be someone closer to you. Someone else will hopefully suggest someone.

It may be simpler to sell to a dealer anyway; you get a little less but, because the dealer will sell at a higher price than you would get privately anyway you may not lose a huge amount, and it might be worth it for the ease of transaction.

I helped clear out my mum's garage at the weekend and have come across a 38 key Jeffries. My knowledge of concertinas is restricted to the last hour on the internet and realising that a Jeffries is a highly sought after piece of kit! It's general condition is fair and is in need of restoration ( 2 or 3 buttons missing) but since I am not an expert I cant tell what key it is (due to being partially deaf!). Obviously I would require some assistance in valuing/confirming identity of the concertina. It is in a wooden hexagonal box which I am unsure if it is the original or whether Great Uncle Donald had it made for the squeezebox. It has C Jeffries etched on the right hand side between the top and 2nd row. The bellows are green/gold pattern.

If there's any further info that anyone requires or any advice for cleaning up the metal end plates.

Some photos would be helpful.

As for cleaning the metal ends, I would suggest you not try. If there are buttons missing, then it surely needs a general overhaul, and there are things far more important than how nice the metal looks.

OK. For the sake of politeness, I've to remember:

1) Not to be honest & say out loud what I'm thinking

2) Not to post after Monday's session :rolleyes:

Anyway, I still think it stinks scam. If I'm wrong, better then for both the seller and the buyer (not only for the seller)

Cheers,

Fer

Hi Fer

No it's not a scam. It is genuine. I will be posting photos tonight as it was late last night when I found this site and flash photography did not do it justice.

I must say I do feel a bit hurt that people have jumped on the 'scam' bandwagon. I do have my mother's interests to protect so I'd like to ensure I get the best advice/price for it.

Regards

Fiona

I must say I do feel a bit hurt that people have jumped on the 'scam' bandwagon.

I for one think that Fer was a bit too quick to shout "scam". I don't see why someone who has found a concertina in a loft or garage should be expected to know of someone who could tell them what key it's in. The provision of a photo is no guarantee, as scammers often copy photos from genuine sales.

The trouble is that, as you've already identified, Jeffries concertinas are highly valued and are therefore the instrument of choice for scammers, and unfortunately there are quite a few of them about. All too often someone on this forum will point out an instrument for sale on Ebay which turns out to be a scam, and more often or not it is a Jeffries which is being offered. This makes people cautious, perhaps overcautious, when something like this turns up. And we all dream of finding a top-quality instrument in a loft or garage ourselves, so we can be a bit cynical when it happens to someone else.

The advice you have already been given is sound. Don't attempt any repairs or cleaning yourself, you could do more harm than good. Take your time to get the instrument assessed and valued by a competent repairer or dealer - the average high street music shop, even one which deals in accordions, probably won't know much about concertinas. You can find the details of a number of dealers and repairers on the Concertina FAQ www.concertina.info/ maintained by Chris Timson who is a regular poster on here.

Someone has already mentioned Theo Gibb, who is based in Gateshead and is a repairer and dealer, mainly in melodeons but also in concertinas, while Chris Algar in Stoke on Trent is probably the best-known concertina dealer. Both have good reputations.

When it comes to selling, many people are now distrustful of buying on Ebay, simply because of the number of scams. As a seller, you also need to be careful of being scammed by a bogus purchaser. This buy-and-sell forum is probably better, and if successful you are expected to make a donation to the upkeep of the website. Even here, as you've already found, people will be cautious of the possibility of a scam - that's just the reality of dealing on the internet. It may be easier for you to sell to a dealer, but of course you won't get the best price as they have to make their own profit when they sell it on.

Or, as someone else has suggested, try learning to play it yourself.

Good luck.

Hi Fer

No it's not a scam. It is genuine. I will be posting photos tonight as it was late last night when I found this site and flash photography did not do it justice.

I must say I do feel a bit hurt that people have jumped on the 'scam' bandwagon. I do have my mother's interests to protect so I'd like to ensure I get the best advice/price for it.

Regards

Fiona

Hi Fiona

Maybe I was a bit impulsive (sp?) but the post seemed to me as the arquetipycal ebay scam ad - and even more coming from a new member with only 1 post -. Please accept my apologies. I really hope you make a good deal...

Cheers,

Fer

PD: Edited for to post it:

http://www.hobgoblin.com/local/shbigpic.php?Code=47MA047

The main reason because one has to be very careful when the word 'Jeffries' appears...

Edited by Fergus_fiddler

Hi

I've managed to take some decent photos although natural daylight has disappeared in a rather rainy Glasgow.

Hope this manages to allay people's fears that it is not a scam!! :rolleyes:

Cheers

Fiona

post-7913-1248196586_thumb.jpg

post-7913-1248196601_thumb.jpg

post-7913-1248196616_thumb.jpg

post-7913-1248196633_thumb.jpg

post-7913-1248196648_thumb.jpg

Thanks for posting the pictures. I agree with others that your best bet is to have the instrument and its condition evaluated by a professional before selling (or to sell it to a dealer such as Chris Algar if he's interested and you're willing to accept a wholesale price).

Daniel

Hi

I've managed to take some decent photos although natural daylight has disappeared in a rather rainy Glasgow.

Hope this manages to allay people's fears that it is not a scam!! :rolleyes:

Cheers

Fiona

It certainly appears to be in need of restoration, but it could be worth spending quite a bit of money on. You need to consider whether to spend that money yourself in order to get the best price when you sell, or sell it in its existing condition. Obviously you'll get a much lower price, but some purchasers may actually prefer to get the restoration done to their own requirements by a repairer they trust.

Again, it's something to take advice on from a reputable dealer or repairer.

It certainly appears to be in need of restoration, but it could be worth spending quite a bit of money on. You need to consider whether to spend that money yourself in order to get the best price when you sell, or sell it in its existing condition. Obviously you'll get a much lower price, but some purchasers may actually prefer to get the restoration done to their own requirements by a repairer they trust.

Again, it's something to take advice on from a reputable dealer or repairer.

Thanks for all your posts. They have certainly given me food for thought and given that the instrument is in need of restoration work, it may be the route that I take and sell it on once it's been restored.

As an addendum to how we found it in the garage....it only recently went into the garage for safe-keeping from a destructive 4yo nephew! It has been in our family for at least 72 years - my mother's age - and in our house for 25-30 years. My mother was prepared to send it to the dump at the weekend but I rescued it and thought we might get £50 for it!!

We are mighty glad it didnt end up in a Highland landfill site!

Thanks to everyone.

Fiona

PS - Once it's sold we will give a donation to this website.

My mother was prepared to send it to the dump at the weekend but I rescued it and thought we might get £50 for it!!

Well, that was a close call - having helped to clear out my father-in-law's cellar a few years ago, I know how easy it is to fill skiploads of 'junk' without looking too closely.

To me this looks like a bit of a unique animal - a 37 button Jeffries, if I'm not mistaken? Anyone seen something like this before?

Fiona, congratulations on your find and on sharing photos with us. You deserve our thanks for saving it from the garbage heap!

-David