Non-professionals tunes, etc.

Hello,

Is there anyone else here who likes to play simple things on a concertina?

I enjoy just doing the best I can playing religious songs, Suzuki tunes, and various other simple tunes that involve one or two notes. I think the concertina is a pretty instrument without all the fancy playing that so many play who are really good at it. I find the English Concertina to be more up my alley. :) Although I do play harmonica (by ear only - it does not even attract me any more since I got the concertina as I am not very good at playing only one note on a harmonica which makes it rather discordant or whatever it is called - maybe circus music) - I far prefer the concertina now.

Anyone else rather like me here?

Thanks,

Regie

p.s. I even like piano music with only 2 or 3 notes played in the right hand. Four and five notes on a piano sound rather muddled???? to me and I like the simpler stuff on it generally.

Edited by Regie

Hello,

I enjoy just doing the best I can playing religious songs, Suzuki tunes, and various other simple tunes that involve one or two notes. I think the concertina is a pretty instrument without all the fancy playing that so many play who are really good at it. I find the English Concertina to be more up my alley. :) Although I do play harmonica (by ear only - it does not even attract me any more since I got the concertina as I am not very good at playing only one note on a harmonica which makes it rather discordant or whatever it is called - maybe circus music) - I far prefer the concertina now.

Thanks,

Regie

p.s. I even like piano music with only 2 or 3 notes played in the right hand. Four and five notes on a piano sound rather muddled???? to me and I like the simpler stuff on it generally.

Hi Regie,

:huh: I don't know about tunes/songs with only 2-3 notes in them, or based on.

I'd rather songs/tunes with a large various number of notes in it. They are more challenging. Talking about challenging, I've started to get better at my playing. Other than just playing simple melodies, I like to put low notes in or just chords every now and then.

Regards,

Patrick

Although most of the tunes I have posted have been with accompaniment,I have always enjoyed playing old standards on the concertina as if I were playing solo trumpet,clarinet or sax. I now play in duet with Mike Ainscough who is an X Jazz guitarist and we have a nice set of tunes

Blue Moon,Love is the Sweetest Thing,I can't give you anything but love baby and My Blue Heaven. I play mostly single notes with the odd addition.

Time permitting we will play them at Bradfield.

Al

Although most of the tunes I have posted have been with accompaniment,I have always enjoyed playing old standards on the concertina as if I were playing solo trumpet,clarinet or sax. I now play in duet with Mike Ainscough who is an X Jazz guitarist and we have a nice set of tunes

Blue Moon,Love is the Sweetest Thing,I can't give you anything but love baby and My Blue Heaven. I play mostly single notes with the odd addition.

Time permitting we will play them at Bradfield.

Al

I look forward to the CD, Al. <_<

Chris

Since I am a beginner on EC, I collected a few not so difficult but beautiful tunes:

Easy tunes

Lullaby tunes

Thankyou for those.

As a beginner(who used to play the clarinet) I'm finding that playing lots of tunes from the '100 solos for clarinet' genre very useful for finding my way round the keyboard, only a few go down to F. I've also been trying to play some simple hymns to get used to playing more than one note at once but its very difficult when you're only used to reading one line of music.

i like fancy things, i must admit.

although some of my favorite songs in the world are simple things--kids melodies, commercial jingles, etc.--i think i am one of those people you decry, :P

Thanks to all who answered me. Although I am pretty sure you were joking, I do not decry your playing complicated music. We've just all got different tastes for music. However, the last time I ate some of my music :) it tasted funny since the dog had been chewing on it before me. :)

Thanks again and have a good day and everyone else here too.

Regie

[quote name='Regie' date='Jun 24 2009, 01:22 PM' post='96754']
Hello,

I enjoy just doing the best I can playing religious songs, Suzuki tunes, and various other simple tunes that involve one or two notes.  I think the concertina is a pretty instrument without all the fancy playing that so many play who are really good at it.  I find the English Concertina to be more up my alley.  :)  Although I do play harmonica (by ear only - it does not even attract me any more since I got the concertina as I am not very good at playing only one note on a harmonica which makes it rather discordant or whatever it is called - maybe circus music) - I far prefer the concertina now.

Thanks,
Regie
p.s.  I even like piano music with only 2 or 3 notes played in the right hand.  Four and five notes on a piano sound rather muddled???? to me and I like the simpler stuff on it generally.
[/quote]

I do not know any tunes with only one or two notes. So do you play the same note over and over? <_<

I love simple, nicely and relatively slowly paced jigs and reels, although most people I know would find that stuff boring. Ah well :(

so where does kevin burke fit into that? :rolleyes:

i like fancy things, i must admit.

although some of my favorite songs in the world are simple things--kids melodies, commercial jingles, etc.--i think i am one of those people you decry, :P

Thanks to all who answered me. Although I am pretty sure you were joking, I do not decry your playing complicated music. We've just all got different tastes for music. However, the last time I ate some of my music :) it tasted funny since the dog had been chewing on it before me. :)

Thanks again and have a good day and everyone else here too.

Regie

hahah. seems like you're pretty--your dog has the same taste in music as you do, :lol:.

i was agreeing with you, but i had to fess up as my own worst enemy, :rolleyes:.

EDIT:

it is supposed to read "seems like you're pretty lucky--...."

Edited by david_boveri

I do not know any tunes with only one or two notes. So do you play the same note over and over? <_<

Well,

L. v. Beethoven tried that once. He confined himself to 2 notes for a start, but after a bar or two, he relented, and the piece turned out quite well after all. :rolleyes: "Für Elise" became quite popular.

Or did you mean 2 or 3 notes played simultaneously in the right hand, Regie? That would make more sense because, as an EC player, you've effectively only got one hand, albeit with 6-8 fingers. :lol:

Cheers,

John

Or did you mean 2 or 3 notes played simultaneously in the right hand, Regie? That would make more sense because, as an EC player, you've effectively only got one hand, albeit with 6-8 fingers. :lol:

I once heard a Bulgarian ballad sung, in which the variations in pitch were quite subtle and the total range was about a quarter of a tone (yes, half a semitone). But I don't think that would work on a concertina in standard tuning. :ph34r:

Well,

L. v. Beethoven tried that once. He confined himself to 2 notes for a start, but after a bar or two, he relented, and the piece turned out quite well after all. :rolleyes: "Für Elise" became quite popular...

Cheers,

John

:D Is "When The Saints Go Marching In" like that? Or is the limit 2 or 3 notes? :lol: