What is special about this?

Theo

Theo,

The large "button" rivet to fasten the reed tongue to the shoe is unusual to me. I've only seen them occasionally, I suppose as replacements. That is not to say they are rare in early instruments, just uncommon to my experience.

At $750. USD I don't find that a terribly outrageous price although once the reconditioning costs and tuning expenses are added....

The bidding was spirited at the last minute. Perhaps two fascinated competitors threw caution and good fiscal sense to the wind.

Greg

Edited by Greg Jowaisas

Brass reeds coming back into fashion ?

I think that's possible. On occasion this past week as I was playing my brass reeded very early Wheatstone (for my own enjoyment, but so as not to bother other people, so I had deliberately taken my quietest instrument) people commented on its beauty and the gentle music I was making with it. One or two asked where to get one and expressed interest in taking up EC.

It was an outrageous price for the cheapest model that Louis Lachenal built for Wheatstone's, there were plenty of much better quality ones made, with better brass reeds than those rivetted ones... :huh:

That's what I thought too. The price is about what I would expect to see for the same concertina fully restored with new pads and valves and tuned.

Brass reeds coming back into fashion ?

I think that's possible. On occasion this past week as I was playing my brass reeded very early Wheatstone (for my own enjoyment, but so as not to bother other people, so I had deliberately taken my quietest instrument) people commented on its beauty and the gentle music I was making with it. One or two asked where to get one and expressed interest in taking up EC.

I certainly play my brass-reeded wheatstone (8461) more than any of the steel reeded ones, as it's my main practice instrument around the house. It has a sweet tone.