Do Any English Types Have Air-release Buttons?

I wondering in particular about the 48-key English baritone made by Guens-Wakker. Or, something like it. Do they include an air-release?

I thought that some concertinas have them (mine doesn't), but, now I'm wondering if any of them do.

It's not the most important feature but would be nice!

I thought that some concertinas have them (mine doesn't), but, now I'm wondering if any of them do.

Some don't, and some do.

Some of mine don't and some of mine do.

All my octagonal Æolas do, include my bass (cello range).

I've had edeophones both with and without, and in later years (after 1930, I think, maybe even earlier) air buttons were common on all Wheatstone models.

New ones?

If you look at the new instruments (Geuns-Wakker) pictured on the Concertina Connection web site, the amboyna baritone seems not to have an air button, but the rosewood treble does. So my guess is that they will provide an air button if you ask for it.

I believe the current Albion (Button Box) Englishes don't have air buttons, but I've heard that Rich M. is considering making that an option. You could ask him about it.

But on an English, you really shouldn't need an air button, except maybe to open the bellows prior to starting to play or to close the bellows when you put the instrument away. I find I'm quite able to tolerate brief chords at those times, when I'm using an instrument that doesn't have an air valve.

I've created an air button on my 48-button English by removing the reeds from the very highest note, which is in what I consider 'dog-whistle' range anyway.

I find this useful when I'm putting the instrument down at a session and don't want to make gratuitous noises.

A cheap and quick solution would be to pick a note that you will probably never use and take out the reeds, then you can use this button as a breather valve. My extended treble Lachenal New Model has 56 buttons, so someone in the past picked the highest note (good for calling the dog in) and made a breather button out of it.

Hi Friends,

I have never owned a concertina which had an air release button and most of the players in the bands of the 1920's & 1930's preferred not to have one. They could be a scource of leakage and you will find that if you press 3 or 4 buttons on each side (the lower notes) and open or close slowly, you wont make a sound.

Good Luck. JOHN NIXON. :rolleyes:

I've created an air button on my 48-button English by removing the reeds from the very highest note...

I hope you're keeping them in a safe place, in case you ever want to sell the instrument and the new owner would like to have them. I've seen a number of instruments where reeds were removed "to create an air button", and I always wonder what happens to such delicate marvels of craftsmanship. Forgotten in a drawer? Given to the kids to play with? But they do often disappear.

...which is in what I consider 'dog-whistle' range anyway.

I, for one, enjoy calling dogs. :)

Quite seriously, though, while I rarely use those highest notes when playing solo, I do find they give some nice options for harmony when I'm improvising against other instruments and a singer.

I would just add to the point about losing the reed that it is perfectly possible to disable the reed from sounding without removing it which is what Paul Groff did for my Aeola.

Yes, I am afraid that the highest reed is in reed heaven. It was gone when I bought the Lachenal 25 years ago. I didn't worry about it though, I was just glad I got a chance to buy a nice concertina (remember it was before the internet, you all do remember those days, don't you?) so info on concertinas for sale was not readily available.

I've created an air button on my 48-button English by removing the reeds from the very highest note...

I hope you're keeping them in a safe place, in case you ever want to sell the instrument and the new owner would like to have them.

I keep them in a compartment in my case. That way, if it's ever stolen, the thief will have a complete instrument. ;)

I believe the current Albion (Button Box) Englishes don't have air buttons, but I've heard that Rich M. is considering making that an option.

I'm pleased to report that air buttons are now standard fare on our Albion concertinas (since this past fall).

My Wheatstone english treble has an air button and I suspect that was what swung me into buying that particular one. Being an angloid, I expect to have one (although never use it when playing), and also, being a sort that is forever picking the box up to play along to a favorite tune with someone, then putting the box down, the air button jusr makes closing things a lot easier.

At a push (pun), you could take one of the highest reeds out in the push direction only to use as a closer, taking care to remember which direction you need if you want to play the note.

The only concertina in my little collection that has an air release is my G bass, it has two, one per side!!!!.

But why have air releases on a single acting bass, talk about a redundant design.

I have never missed the facility on my other instruments, a treble aeola, a miniture, and a baritone. I do just like the advice from John Nixon and use a little bellows control, it works very well.

Dave

I believe the current Albion (Button Box) Englishes don't have air buttons, but I've heard that Rich M. is considering making that an option.

I'm pleased to report that air buttons are now standard fare on our Albion concertinas (since this past fall).

:P Yeeeaaayy! So, whenever I get around to thinking about a second concertina, I'll be able to find one with an air button.

Though I sometimes LIKE to sound out a loud blast of dissonance (...um, how DO you spell 'cacauphonous'...), to make the cats go away while I'm playing, there are times when I've ended a song and I'm left with the bellows OUT, not IN. I want to start the NEXT song with them IN, so...you get the idea.

So, with the air button, I could quietly get back into the closed-bellows position and go on from there.

Not that my cats or dogs are abused. They've just learned that I am not the one to sit on, if I'm playing....so, they usually go sit on my husband, if he's around.

I'll include a link to a picture I recently got that shows my typical 'audience' on any given morning: Wendy's Concertina Fan Club

:D Cacophonous Cacophonous Cacophonous

See...I DO look things up in the dictionary.

Edited by bellowbelle

What an adoring crowd. And hey, that is SOME coffee cup. Or maybe it is just the perspective. But it looks HUGE.

Sqeeze away for your little friends, I was gonna say little furry friends but your hubby might take offense.

Hee hee hee.

Helen

And hey, that is SOME coffee cup.

:D Yup, we do only big ones, here. I use my CONCERTINA.NET Travel coffee cup -- keeps the bean juice hot a long time.

And, just since I'm on the subject of coffee (oops, sorry, I know, it was about air-release buttons...) --

I found this really great coffee that's shade-grown and organic, and is said to be more bird-friendly, since the growers don't wipe out the birds' habitats. Not that I'm selling coffee, but, this stuff is REALLY good....we like the Bird-Watcher's Blend, from Dean's Beans Dean's Beans

The taste is great. Non-organic coffee seems to bother me, anyway.

I order right from them, but, I have found this coffee in Amherst, too, at Bart's (ice cream) -- so, anyone going to the Button Box, go into Barts' and buy some beans!!!!

Oh well, another great reason to go to the Button Box. I buy through the mail from them, but it would be nice to actually play an instrument before I got it.

Helen

Now I want the bread too.

Good grief, I could go to the Button Box, gorge on playing the great instruments and then gorge on bread and coffee.

Ahhh.