*KLAXXON* Newb Alert *KLAXXON*

I! am a newb! You've dealt with our type before... asking inane, poorly researched questions... Commenting on things out of our depth... Being the bane of forums everywhere...

So yeah... heres another one...

"HI"

I'm Ray and I recently purchased a chinese 'no-name' 30 button anglo from the MOAOAS (mother of all online auction sources). I've been inside it and corrected a stuck reed. It seems to be Jefferies on the left and Lachenal on the right (???) or possibly just really bad reeds... (I'm betting the latter).

So that covers my equipment. What I'd like to ask are two things:

What would the saged (aged?) on the forum suggest for an 'intermediate' instrument that doesn't cost as much as a car. (I'm guess that will be answered with 'as much as you can comfortably afford... curse you, common sense!).

The other would be are there any anglo players in the Southern Indiana area that would like to get together and talk shop/discuss resources available in the area?

I humbly and gratefully accept any and all responses to this missive.

Regards,

Ray D.

Hey Ray

So ya dun got a Chinese MOTS from MOAOAS. At least you've learned partially what to not like. It's a start, not necessarily a mistake. The current recommended starting price is around $350US for a Rochelle as a starting Anglo Concertina and there is a bit of a price jump to around $2000US for a new good one that will last a long time and play well, with almost nothing in between. Antique would be anybody's guess on upwards of ??? Not quite car prices needed, maybe bicycle.

Two questions come to mind. Do you think "New" or "Antique", and what type of music do you play?

A good place to start for new would be the list of current makers here: http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php...ost&p=88438

Leo

The other would be are there any anglo players in the Southern Indiana area that would like to get together and talk shop/discuss resources available in the area?

I humbly and gratefully accept any and all responses to this missive.

Regards,

Ray D.

Ray, how far south in Indiana are you? The Bloomington crowd includes some very accomplished anglo players, though one plays a D/A (G. Larsen) and one (Mr. Williamson) plays a G/D, if memory serves, so the fingering for common-key fiddle tunes (for example) varies from a C/G, if that is what you have. If you are closer to Louisville or Cincinnati, then others here can give you contacts.

As for new, no need to be self-conscious about it. We all were once. Me, I'm old now.

Ken

sometimes a Hoosier (= resident of Indiana, for you non-Yankees)

Hey, thanks for the replies.

Leo: I did a little research as well. The rochelle is around 350 (not a car), The button box has one at 800 (which is somewhere higher than I'd like to be but if needs must...), and then there are the quality instruments around 2k (car level (for us fiscally under-nourished folks)). I can't see getting to the 2k ones for quite awhile or even if I'd want to given the number of hobbies clammoring for love at the moment. I was just wondering if anyone out there had a pointer in that direction. I'd like to consider "New" and as for music? Right now, anything I can lay my hands on. I've a 'tutor' called 'THE ANGLO CONCERTINA DEMYSTIFIED by Bertram Levy '

The Chinese item was for testing the waters and also for "tinkerability". if I really muck it up I'm only out 100 bucks. But as yet, I haven't done anything too irreversible.

Ken: Thanks for the tips, I am indeed in the Bloomington area. Unfortunately yes, the insturment I have is a G/C. I guess I should have done a little more research before I lept.

Appreciate you checking in!

Regards,

Ray D.

As for new, no need to be self-conscious about it. We all were once. Me, I'm old now.

I first read that as, "I'm old new."
:D

's OK, I'm newly old and still trying to get used to it. :lol: :blink:

The rochelle is around 350 (not a car), The button box has one at

800 (which is somewhere higher than I'd like to be but if needs must...)

You mean the Stagi 30-button anglo for around $800? It's not much of a step up from the Rochelle, if any...some people think it's a step down. It looks nicer, though. Unless you get lucky buying a used "hybrid" such as a weathered Morse or Tedrow, or a vintage Lachenal that needs a bit of fixup, there's really nothing between the price of a Rochelle and a $1500 box that's worth it. I'm using "hybrid" as it is often used here, a concertina with accordion reeds, but mounted flat on a reed pan and with traditional style action, unlike the larger and clunkier Stagi, Scarlatti, Rochelle, etc. The AC Norman boxes are the cheapest "hybrids," I think. Hobgoblin sells them for about $1600 as a "Sherwood": http://www.hobgoblin.com/local/cartconc.htm

Wim Wakker has announced a Clover, anglo, which is supposed to cost considerably less than the current "hybrids" but with similar quality (made in China to reduce costs), but it's already over a year late appearing.

I agree with almost all of this, except for one relatively small thing. I don't think that Andrew Norman has any association with the Hobgoblin Sherwood concertinas.

Daniel

The rochelle is around 350 (not a car), The button box has one at

800 (which is somewhere higher than I'd like to be but if needs must...)

You mean the Stagi 30-button anglo for around $800? It's not much of a step up from the Rochelle, if any...some people think it's a step down. It looks nicer, though. Unless you get lucky buying a used "hybrid" such as a weathered Morse or Tedrow, or a vintage Lachenal that needs a bit of fixup, there's really nothing between the price of a Rochelle and a $1500 box that's worth it. I'm using "hybrid" as it is often used here, a concertina with accordion reeds, but mounted flat on a reed pan and with traditional style action, unlike the larger and clunkier Stagi, Scarlatti, Rochelle, etc. The AC Norman boxes are the cheapest "hybrids," I think. Hobgoblin sells them for about $1600 as a "Sherwood": http://www.hobgoblin.com/local/cartconc.htm

Wim Wakker has announced a Clover, anglo, which is supposed to cost considerably less than the current "hybrids" but with similar quality (made in China to reduce costs), but it's already over a year late appearing.

What would the saged (aged?) on the forum suggest for an 'intermediate' instrument that doesn't cost as much as a car.

What kind of car?
:unsure:

Though I make no claims to being saged or aged, I wondered the same thing...... There are all sorts of cars, the Yugo that you somehow end up being given for free which starts looking attractive when one is 17 and wants a car but prefers spending money on concertinas instead, and there's, say, a Lexus or something which en would be afraid to touch, much less drive.

True story, my mom chose to drive the '81 VW Rabbit and get a cello instead of a new car and no cello. Priorities, priorities.....gotta have 'em in the right order.

Well, to give you an idea. We have a Ford Aveo and a growing collection of musical instruments (as was stated earlier: "fiscally under nourished")... ;)

Ray D.

I agree with almost all of this, except for one relatively small thing. I don't think that Andrew Norman has any association with the Hobgoblin Sherwood concertinas.

You're right, I got it mixed up with the Ashdown, which Hobgoblin used to sell, and was made by Norman. If I recall correctly (this time!), someone once posted here that an ex-employee of Norman makes the Sherwood.

Also, Herrington lists their standard 30-button anglo at $1500, although that price could be out of date.

Edited by Boney

Hey, thanks for the replies.

Ken: Thanks for the tips, I am indeed in the Bloomington area. Unfortunately yes, the insturment I have is a G/C. I guess I should have done a little more research before I lept.

Appreciate you checking in!

Regards,

Ray D.

Ray,

I don't recall where the sessions are in Bloomington now. Go to www.thesession.org, click on Sessions tab, type in "Indiana" in the state search box, and one of the results will be the current location (all the old, expired ones are on there also, so check the comments). If you show up (sans box, it takes some acclimation to join in with them, as you will see) some week to listen, odds are Grey or Matt may be there. I'd wait for a pause or when they aren't playing, and say hello. Even if you aren't interested in playing Irish music, Grey in particular can tell you a lot about concertina, having started himself in the early 1970s. They will also know if anyone else there plays anglo.

Ken

Ray,

If you have occasion to head southeast toward Cincinnati you should give me a heads up and we can arrange a meeting. I'm always willing to talk concertinas and often have a vintage instrument or two for sale. Certainly an opportunity for you to try a few different concertinas.

Carroll Concertinas is nearby and we can arrange a tour of the shop for you.

Good luck on your concertina adventure.

Greg

Hey again,

Ken: Logged into thesessions.org and the Spoon is going to become a regular haunt from now on...

Greg: Have family on her side out that way. Will be there in about 2 weeks and also in a month for a week. I'd love to see what you're talking about. The only thing that will be heartbreaking is the the unbearable lightness of my wallet... ;)

Regards,

Ray D.

You're right, I got it mixed up with the Ashdown, which Hobgoblin used to sell, and was made by Norman. If I recall correctly (this time!), someone once posted here that an ex-employee of Norman makes the Sherwood.

Also, Herrington lists their standard 30-button anglo at $1500, although that price could be out of date.

I've had a Hobgoblin Sherwood C/G for a couple of years and really enjoyed learning to play on it. It has a nice fast action and a bright sound from the steel accordion reeds. It cost £999 & I would definitely recommend it.

Ray,

I bought a Rochell without ever even having seen a concertina in real life. Loved it and played well enough to know I wanted a better instrument. I was fortunate to be able to buy a quality baritone from Bob Tedrow. Here's what I learned and can say about the Rochell.

Sounded pretty decent, looks ugly, and the bellows are really stiff. Sound decent is good, looks ugly is not important for a beginner, and stiff bellows; well two out of three ain't bad.

I also got my cost back when I traded up, which was a real plus if you deal with a seller that offers that option.

I would say that the Rochell is the way to go if you don't want to spend any more.

NNY

What the heck ... always looking for a good excuse to post a pic.

post-6804-1243989780_thumb.jpg

post-6804-1243989792_thumb.jpg

Edited by NoNaYet