Recent big Auction ... with lots of Concertinas?

Ptarmigan

I met a friend today who said he had noticed that at a recent auction, in one of the big auction houses, there had been a lot of Concertinas up for grabs!

Did anyone hear anything about this?

Does anyone know which auction this was?

I'm just wondering if it might be possible to still find details about it on the Net & maybe even a few photos!

Cheers

Dick

I met a friend today who said he had noticed that at a recent auction, in one of the big auction houses, there had been a lot of Concertinas up for grabs!

I'm just wondering if it might be possible to still find details about it on the Net & maybe even a few photos!

Cheers

Dick

2 weeks ago Bonhams in London had an auction with around 8 concertinas - including a Jeffries duet, Wheatstone English metal ended treble, and a large McCann duet (if I recall correctly).

Steve

There was also a sale at Gardiner Houlgate down near Bath on 20th March with a few concertinas including a John Crabb and a C Jeffries. Only a couple of pictures on their website and they told me that the Jeffries was "pretty ropey as the bellows are shot" No idea of the keys, no idea of the reed condition and too far away for me to inspect, so a total cost to the buyer of £4221 seems quite healthy in the current economic climate.

New bellows, complete overhaul and on the market with a dealers profit for £6000 plus? Still seems a better deal than the recent eBay C Jeffries junior duet

Alex

Photos here and here and here.

Searching past sales at www.bonhams.com will show several results in their London sale on 11 March.

The prices they realised seem quite reasonable to me. Noticed that the Jeffries duet was not described as a duet and the two very basic wooden anglos didn't sell. There were far more violins for sale and it amazed me to see that some silver-tipped violin bows, on their own, fetched more than some quality violins. At that price, I'd frame the bow rather than use it!

Chris

Photos here and here and here.

Searching past sales at www.bonhams.com will show several results in their London sale on 11 March.

The prices they realised seem quite reasonable to me. Noticed that the Jeffries duet was not described as a duet and the two very basic wooden anglos didn't sell. There were far more violins for sale and it amazed me to see that some silver-tipped violin bows, on their own, fetched more than some quality violins. At that price, I'd frame the bow rather than use it!

Chris

Hi. Mitchells held an auction today (Friday) which included an amboyna ended Aeola baritone requiring quite a lot of attention to the woodwork. This went for £3200 plus buyers commission of 20%. Include the cost of repairs and retuning - quite a tidy sum.

Link here http://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/a-c....88-c-c3e79b34ad

Pete

everything in moderation, including moderation....

Cheers

Dick

2 weeks ago Bonhams in London had an auction with around 8 concertinas - including a Jeffries duet, Wheatstone English metal ended treble, and a large McCann duet (if I recall correctly).

Steve

With a bit of fiddling under sales and then date 'up to March 11' you should get that auction of musical instruments and then try concertina in the search box.

(it is still there unlike ebay! - but Bonhams do not always show specific item but a generic photo.............usually a cluster of metal ended superdoopers e.g.

http://www.bonhams.com/cgi-bin/public.sh/p...SaleSectionNo=1

Here is url with some photos for April 9 Oxford auction (hopefully it works)

http://www.bonhams.com/cgi-bin/public.sh/p...SaleSectionNo=1