Kitty's Wedding on C/G Anglo

jlfinkels

I'm trying to learn Kitty's Wedding on my C/G Anglo and having problems with figuring out the fingerings. There are a few points where I seem to need to jump a finger between 2 buttons and know that it is not good practice, but I can't figure out a way that seems right. Would someone knowledgable be able to help with fingerings for the first few measures? I have similar problems with other tunes and think if I can get some help with one I can apply it to others.

Thanks for any help offered!

--jeff

Kitty's Wedding- first few measures:

The first two measures are fairly straight-forward. I follow what is loosely referred to as the Noel Hill method - Playing Across the Rows. I am playing a Jeffries fingering, which has two C# on the RH accidental row. There should be no need to jump.

On the first measure you have the (F#, E) D press on the G row - the only time I use the low D press on the G row is for that opening chord. Then I use the RH B draw and after that the RH D draw because the next note is a LH A on the C row- and because I like the phrasing better than the D press here. If you did use the LH D press then the next note would be the LH A draw to avoid that jump- still following?

After that it's straightforward but then it gets tricky because you're dropping below the low D.

I use the draw D on the C row and stay on the C row until that tricky low A. Here, taking a tip from Azalin, I use the low A draw on the G row, played with my LH little finger. Otherwise, to use the low A on the accidental row, you'd have to move your hand and use the bird finger. People do it both ways - and being able to chose either method would be a positive down the road. Take your time, play it smoothly and don't worry about the tempo.

I hope this helps. It's the way it works best for me. If it's not helpful, perhaps you could be specific regarding the difficult part.

Here's the abc of the first few measures I'm working on.

fe|d2Bd A2FA|BAFA D2 ED|B,DA,D DFBF|AFDF E2

Sorry for not being more specific in the problems I'm having. I think David has covered it perfectly, but I'll try to explain it in case others have simiilar problems. I'm likely making beginners mistakes and there's so many concertina teachers to choose from in my area (not!) that I haven't had a lesson yet.

I think the biggest problem I am causig myself is always trying to use the D push (button }15{ on the Carroll diagram) instead of the D pull {22}. It's funny how I got the low A part right but was making the simple part so difficult. David's paper mentioned above was a great help, but the real trick is figuring out when to venture off the "first choice" buttons, but I guess that will come in time.

August and the NHICS in Cincinatti won't come soon enough. Thanks!

--jeff

Edited by jlfinkels

Nice one David. I think this weekends isometric excercise will be |B,DA,B,| which is how I play it on the fiddle.

Snorre

edited for bad ABC....

Edited by Snorre

Trying to be analytical about it here goes. I use a pulled A on the G row in the second part to give added punch to the d without having to jump buttons.

d2Bd A2FA BAFA D2 ED B,DA,D DFBF AFDF E2fe d2Bd A2FA BAFA D2 ED B,DA,D DFBF AFEF D2:

button 2 1d 1 41 1141 3 23 4 34 3 4414 1434 2 11 1 12 1 41 1141 3 23 4 3 4 3 4414 1424 4

row C GC C GC C G C G CG CGCG C GG G C C GC C C G C GGCG CGCG G

afed bafd Adfd edBd DFAd FAde fdgf e2fg afed bafd Adfd edBd DFAd FAdf eABc d2:

button 2111 2211 3111 1112 3412 4121 1111 1 11 2111 2211 3111 1112 4412 4121 2112 1

row G G C CGC GC G G G C G C GC G C A G