A familiar name

Since it's on my Information Tech class syllabus, I'm reading a (actually fascinating) book called The Victorian Internet about the invention of the telegraph...

When a very familiar name pops up from the page.

Yes, that would be Mr. Charles Wheatstone.

He really got around, didn't he?

That's "Sir" Charles to you :)

Sir Charles Wheatstone FRS* was one of the leading scientists and inventors of his age. In our little world, we think of him primarily as the inventor of the concertina, but to the rest of the world it is his scientific work which is considered the most important.

Even his work on the concertina originated with his interest in acoustics. If he hadn't also been involved in the family musical instrument business one wonders whether he would ever have developed it into a playable instrument.

* Fellow of the Royal Society: a great honour. Fellows are elected by existing members and candidates for election must have made "a substantial contribution to the improvement of natural knowledge, including mathematics, engineering science and medical science".

* Fellow of the Royal Society: a great honour. Fellows are elected by existing members and candidates for election must have made "a substantial contribution to the improvement of natural knowledge, including mathematics, engineering science and medical science".

CW, although a very sociable man in private and friends with most of the great names of European science at that time, was very shy in public. Then as now fellows were expected to give lectures on their research in the Royal Society lecture hall (which I've been in - that place oozes scientific history). Unfortunately on one occasion nerves overrcame him and he bolted just before the lecture was due to start. After that Wheatstone got his good friend Faraday to deliver his lectures for him and to this day lecturers are locked in at the RS just before their lectures to prevent them "doing a Wheatstone".

Chris

Edited to add PS: This biography is an absorbing read if you are interested.

Edited by Chris Timson

CW, although a very sociable man in private and friends with most of the great names of European science at that time, was very shy in public. Then as now fellows were expected to give lectures on their research in the Royal Society lecture hall (which I've been in - that place oozes scientific history). Unfortunately on one occasion nerves overrcame him and he bolted just before the lecture was due to start. After that Wheatstone got his good friend Faraday to deliver his lectures for him and to this day lecturers are locked in at the RS just before their lectures to prevent them "doing a Wheatstone".

Chris

Edited to add PS: This biography is an absorbing read if you are interested.

You just beat me to adding that one Chris , me being a late riser and all .

Mike