Southeast Tionol 2009

As I had posted earlier, we will be holding our Southeast Tionol over the weekend of February 27, 28. and March 1. We have a list of confirmed instructors as follows. Paul Groff will be teaching concertina. Ivan Goff, and Michael Cooney will handle the uilleann pipe classes. Fiddle, sean nos dance, and flute to be announced as details come in.We will post a website with maps and details shortly. On the subject of concertina, we are very pleased to have Paul Groff, and are looking forward to the event. We had Tim Collins two years ago, and it was a great start to having the concertina as a part of our line up. It would be great to hear from members of this forum interested in attending. We will be having a meet and greet session on Friday night the 27th, followed by a morning and afternoon class on Saturday. A recital of the instructors on Saturday night, followed by muliple Irish trad sessions on the grounds. In years past everyone has managed to find a session that suits their tastes and abilities if playing, and many enjoyable ones to sit back and just listen. Sunday, post breakfast there will be a final class wrapping up in the early afternoon.

We are very lucky to have a person with Paul Groff's knowledge of all aspects of Irish traditional music, and ability to teach it on the anglo concertina. My first dealings with Paul were several years ago, when he had his shop in Boston. I sent a few of my students to him to purchase flutes, which were great instruments. Later I met Paul while I was attending a class in the Catskills back in 2000 or so. He stopped by Gearoid's class and played a few tunes for us, and with Gearoid. Next I heard him in concert / lectures with other great musicians such as Brian Conway playing music of Ed Reavey. Now this is all from memory , and as clouded as that may be after a few days at the Catskill's Irish Arts Week.

Edited by Lawrence Reeves

As I had posted earlier, we will be holding our Southeast Tionol over the weekend of February 27, 28. and March 1. We have a list of confirmed instructors as follows. Paul Groff will be teaching concertina. Ivan Goff, and Michael Cooney will handle the uilleann pipe classes. Fiddle, sean nos dance, and flute to be announced as details come in.We will post a website with maps and details shortly. On the subject of concertina, we are very pleased to have Paul Groff, and are looking forward to the event. We had Tim Collins two years ago, and it was a great start to having the concertina as a part of our line up. It would be great to hear from members of this forum interested in attending. We will be having a meet and greet session on Friday night the 27th, followed by a morning and afternoon class on Saturday. A recital of the instructors on Saturday night, followed by muliple Irish trad sessions on the grounds. In years past everyone has managed to find a session that suits their tastes and abilities if playing, and many enjoyable ones to sit back and just listen. Sunday, post breakfast there will be a final class wrapping up in the early afternoon.

We are very lucky to have a person with Paul Groff's knowledge of all aspects of Irish traditional music, and ability to teach it on the anglo concertina. My first dealings with Paul were several years ago, when he had his shop in Boston. I sent a few of my students to him to purchase flutes, which were great instruments. Later I met Paul while I was attending a class in the Catskills back in 2000 or so. He stopped by Gearoid's class and played a few tunes for us, and with Gearoid. Next I heard him in concert / lectures with other great musicians such as Brian Conway playing music of Ed Reavey. Now this is all from memory , and as clouded as that may be after a few days at the Catskill's Irish Arts Week.

Please give my regards to Paul Groff.Without doubt Paul is one of the great Irish Music players,he sadly did not have time to record some tracks for Anglo International, but I have heard some of his archive tracks and you have certainly chosen wisely for your Workshops.

Have a great time

Al

Hi Larre,

Thanks for inviting me. It should be a good weekend for concertinas. After not having a concert pitch concertina for a while, by February I will either have one or be able to borrow one to use in teaching, but I also will hope to bring up an old-pitch one.

Hi Alan,

You are too kind as always. Never "one of the great players," I'm still and will always be a student ... and always expect to learn from every player I meet. By the way, I got out the A.I. cd just today. Thanks to you and Graham, Fred Kilroy and many others are still sharing their music.

Hi Daniel,

I remember that concertina very well. It would be fun to hear it again. That one may turn out to have company, with other concertinas I once owned also turning up for the tionol. Looking forward to meeting you as well.

PG

Edited by Paul Groff

I am a student of Paul Groff and I would like to attend the Southeast Tiono in February. Please E-Mail all available information

and where I may register. My E-Mail address is Frankandjuli@aol.com thank you for your help. frank herbert

• 2 weeks later...

After a long silence we are up and running for registration. We are very pleased with our instructor line up and look forward to the weekend. Of course concertina players will be utilizing the skills of Paul Groff, and uilleann pipes are with Ivan Goff, and Michael Cooney. Fiddle is to be taught by Willie Kelly. Some on this forum may already be familiar with Willie's fine playing on Dympna O'Sullivan's debut recording last year. Willie is a fantastic fiddle player, and also a very fine uilleann piper.

Here is our registration and information link.

http://www.southeastpipersclub.org/seupc/i...r&Itemid=13