Another pub closes in Bradford on Avon

Last night at our English music session at the Barge Inn, Bradford on Avon, we learned that the pub was closing on Wednesday because the pub owning company had gone bust. For us, this is perhaps becoming routine, since this is the third pub that has closed or threatened closure on us this year. Somehow we've stayed a flourishing session throughout - last night being typical with 16 musicians playing (we were down to just 4 concertina players, which unusually meant that melodeons outnumbered tinas for once).

We're pretty certain that we should find a new home in time for the next session on 12th January, but I really don't want this to become a habit. I have this fear that landlords will run screaming from the building when they see us coming.

I you want to know where we'll meet next then give me a ring on 01225 863762 after Christmas, or PM me or use this contact form:-

http://www.concertina.info/questions.html

Chris

Last night at our English music session at the Barge Inn, Bradford on Avon, we learned that the pub was closing on Wednesday because the pub owning company had gone bust.

So if they've gone bust, they'll be selling off their assets, no? (Or being forced to sell them at auction?)

Why not take up a collection and buy the pub? If the market has dropped anything like that for houses and businesses in the US, you might get it for a "song".

Then you could reopen it as a "nonprofit" music-and-culture center. (In the US, that means you would be exempted from taxes. Not sure about the UK. But at least you wouldn't have the expense of supporting a company, in addition to keeping the pub cultural center itself afloat.)

;)

Last night at our English music session at the Barge Inn, Bradford on Avon, we learned that the pub was closing on Wednesday because the pub owning company had gone bust. For us, this is perhaps becoming routine, since this is the third pub that has closed or threatened closure on us this year. Somehow we've stayed a flourishing session throughout - last night being typical with 16 musicians playing (we were down to just 4 concertina players, which unusually meant that melodeons outnumbered tinas for once).

We're pretty certain that we should find a new home in time for the next session on 12th January, but I really don't want this to become a habit. I have this fear that landlords will run screaming from the building when they see us coming.

I you want to know where we'll meet next then give me a ring on 01225 863762 after Christmas, or PM me or use this contact form:-

http://www.concertina.info/questions.html

Chris

The sing around at Charlwood Sussex,which was on last night, is equally threatened.Two new Landlords in eight weeks.We understand it is now up for sale.These village pubs are being threatened and like the Post Offices are the focal point of a village. This in turn threatens the Brewery's .

Very sad,I hope you can find a new venue Chris .Some pubs are starting to welcome a full house on one night a month whereas before they were being very choosy as to letting folkies do their singing and music in the bar.

Al

We kept two great music pubs and both closed down because the pubco were greedy, licensing was too strict on music, and people just weren't coming out as much It will get worse I fear. Smoking and drink driving bans also further the demise . Sad state of affairs for taditional music.

The best places seem to be free houses with good beer , decent daytime trade and public transport and a welcoming landlord or landlady

Why not take up a collection and buy the pub? If the market has dropped anything like that for houses and businesses in the US, you might get it for a "song".

Bradford on Avon is near Bath. The price of pubs like these would have to drop a hell of a long way before it was less than, say, a quarter of a million quid. Running a pub is also genuine hard graft. It makes a nice fantasy, though. If I win the lottery ...

.Some pubs are starting to welcome a full house on one night a month whereas before they were being very choosy as to letting folkies do their singing and music in the bar.

That is my belief, which is why I am not worrying about finding a new home. We have two good prospects, one of which we know will have us, but I want to try the other one first.

Chris

I recommend sticking to your core business. That is: Playing sessions. Your group taking over & running a pub will lead only to homicide. (there are few enough concertina players as it is)

Leave running a pub to those whose core business is running pubs.

Besides, from my brief experience in England one is usually close enough to throw a stone & hit two or three (pubs).