Mayfair Anglo on Ebay

drbones

Ok! I saw THIS on Ebay. Not too pretty. According to some info I came across on this site, "Wheatstone concertinas from the 1950s through early 1970s do not generally match the quality of the pre-war Wheatstones".

So, would it be worth investing the 700 bucks?

Thank you in advance for your input.

I do not think that you will waste your money. I think that it will be a good investment as a beginner to intermediate instrument.

The 1950's Wheatstone anglo's may not have the same quality of excellence as the pre-war concertinas but you will still find many excellent concertinas from that era...especially if they have the dove-tailed reedpans. I own two 40 button Wheatstone anglo's and they are definitely worth the investment. I believe that it is safe to say that one must approach each post war Wheatstone concertina with a case by case approach. One can not dismiss them all as bad.

And re Mayfairs in general: a Mayfair is not a normal Wheatstone concertina. They were made with accordion reeds in an attempt by Wheatstone to make a "low-end" concertina. I don't know whether the action etc. is as well-made as on a "regular" Wheatstone of the same period, but the sound will be quite different due to the use of accordion reeds.

Watch it!! Read Paul Groff's thread on this concertina.

Dan has it right. Ben Otto's comments are reasonable re: the "non-Mayfair Wheatstone" concertinas of the 1950s and 1960s, but the Mayfairs are not as well-made as those -- and actually not as well-made as some modern "accordion-style-reeded concertinas."

Having said that, Mayfairs really can play pretty well and don't sound too bad. This wooden-ended anglo with f-holes had a warm, slightly boxed-in but strong and reedy sound that wasn't half bad for a student instrument. Before it acquired its current bad karma, a wonderful Irish musician (mostly known as a brilliant whistle player in New England) borrowed it from me as her first concertina, and *her* friend Micheal O'Raghallaigh told her it would be fine for her to learn on.... I don't know its current condition but if still in the condition as when I last saw it, I reckon it might be worth half as much as a new Morse Ceili.

Good luck and caveat emptor. My (amateur) reading of US law informs me that "you can't get title -- legal ownership -- from a thief." Any real lawyers here may be able to clarify or correct that, or explain any exceptions.

PG

Edited by Paul Groff