Maintenance?

Ptarmigan

Hello,

I'm wondering what the GOLDEN RULES are when it comes to looking after your Concertina?

I read on another thread, how it was a bad idea to have your Concertina nestling in foam, in it's case, because the fibres would play merry heck with the reeds! Which set me wondering about what else I might be doing wrong, without knowing it! :blink:

Now I recently sent my Concertina away to receive a long overdue 5,000 tune service & I know that it was in a bit of a state.

So what I'm looking for is a basic list of Do's & Don'ts when it comes to keeping your Concertina in the best condition, so that when my baby returns, I can take much better care of it from now on?

Perhaps such a list has already been set up on this site, in which case, please direct me to it?

If not, I think it might be a valuable addition, especially for beginners.

Cheers

Dick

Well, seeing as no one else has replied - I'll venture:

1) Play it regularly.

2) Keep it dry.

3) Keep an eye on the bellows for wear and build up of dust and detritus in the creases.

4) Play it regularly!

I think there's other stuff about storing it tightly closed and horizontal etc. but maybe that's counsel of perfection?

How's that for starters?

Warning: Pregnant women, the elderly and children under 10 should avoid prolonged exposure to Happy Fun Concertina.

Caution: Happy Fun Concertina may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds.

Happy Fun Concertina Contains a liquid core, which, if exposed due to rupture, should not be touched, inhaled, or looked at.

Do not use Happy Fun Concertina on concrete.

Discontinue use of Happy Fun Concertina if any of the following occurs: Itching, Vertigo, Dizziness, Tingling in extremities, Loss of balance or coordination, Slurred speech, Temporary blindness, Profuse sweating, or Heart palpitations.

If Happy Fun Concertina begins to smoke, get away immediately. Seek shelter and cover head.

Happy Fun Concertina may stick to certain types of skin.

When not in use, Happy Fun Concertina should be returned to its special container and kept under refrigeration. Failure to do so relieves the makers of Happy Fun Concertina, Wacky Products Incorporated, and its parent company Global Chemical Unlimited, of any and all liability.

Ingredients of Happy Fun Concertina include an unknown glowing substance which fell to Earth, presumably from outer space.

Happy Fun Concertina has been shipped to our troops in Saudi Arabia and is also being dropped by our warplanes on Iraq.

Do not taunt Happy Fun Concertina.

(Shamelessly stolen from a Saturday Night Live fake commercial for Happy Fun Ball)

Well, seeing as no one else has replied - I'll venture:

1) Play it regularly.

2) Keep it dry.

3) Keep an eye on the bellows for wear and build up of dust and detritus in the creases.

4) Play it regularly!

I think there's other stuff about storing it tightly closed and horizontal etc. but maybe that's counsel of perfection?

How's that for starters?

Thanks Tom, or is it Billy? ;)

Well that's a start. I've read about keeping the bellows tightly closed, when you are not playing it .... Why?

I've also read that it is not a good idea to keep it in one of those old hexagonal C cases, because of it having to sit vertically instead of horizontally ... is this true?

When I sent mine off to be serviced recently, there was about 16 years of grime on 40% of the outside surface of the fretwork! :(

So how should you keep the metal work clean.

Should you simply wipe with a dry duster regularly, or should you be using a metal polish on it?

If you do do that though, how do you avoid the excess dribbling inside?

As for the wooden surfaces, should you be firing a tin of Pledge at the wood regularly, or just dusting?

How's best to treat the leather of the Bellows? Should I be reaching for some black shoepolish on a regular basis?

Should you open them up regularly & stick the nozzle of a Hoover inside to suck out all the dust, :lol: or just gently brush out the creases of the bellows?

I would like to think that the next time I have to send off my Concertina for a service, it'll look a little more loved & respectable.

Cheers

Dick

I've always wondered - when somebody (you trust) on the opposite side of the room in a session asks to borrow your concertina, is it better to pass it over by hand, and risk dropping it in the transition, or to roll it across the floor (see below).

Last time I went for the second option I got some filthy looks!

I think there's other stuff about storing it ... horizontal etc. but maybe that's counsel of perfection?

I've also read that it is not a good idea to keep it in one of those old hexagonal C cases, because of it having to sit vertically instead of horizontally ... is this true?

Both of these are pretty much saying the same thing: don't let it sit for long periods in a vertical position, that is with the ends on the top and bottom. This is only true of instruments with reed pans parallel to the ends, not the German or Italian or Chinese jobs with "harmonicas" inside them. The reason is that the leather flap valves that keep air from flowing through the silent reed that is paired with any reed that is playing will hang away from the reed pan and warp in that position, losing their effectiveness as valves. This won't cause the other reed to sound (air is going through it the wrong way for that), but it will cause you to lose air, decreasing the efficiency with which you can play.

The reason is that the leather flap valves that keep air from flowing through the silent reed that is paired with any reed that is playing will hang away from the reed pan and warp in that position, losing their effectiveness as valves. This won't cause the other reed to sound (air is going through it the wrong way for that), but it will cause you to lose air, decreasing the efficiency with which you can play.

I've also heard that a valve flap that fails to close, not only robs airflow from its partner reed, but also short-circuits the vibrations of its partner and robs it acoustically. Meaning that even tho you squeeze harder to supply the extra airflow, the reed will still sound weak, maybe off-pitch, maybe like a strangled goose.

Anyway, the advice is the same about what position to store your instrument in.

For those of us with "harmonicas" inside, we should probably find out what direction the reed banks run in, and store our instruments on whatever side lets the reed plates run vertically. Or just store them on one end, exactly how you should not store vintage instruments.

With plastic valves, I doubt it makes any difference anyway.

Every time you play your tina, you probably help return the valves to their original positioning. And if you practice 12 hours a day, however your store your box has only half as much effect :P --Mike K.

I think there's other stuff about storing it ... horizontal etc. but maybe that's counsel of perfection?

Both of these are pretty much saying the same thing: don't let it sit for long periods in a vertical position, that is with the ends on the top and bottom. This is only true of instruments with reed pans parallel to the ends, not the German or Italian or Chinese jobs with "harmonicas" inside them. The reason is that the leather flap valves that keep air from flowing through the silent reed that is paired with any reed that is playing will hang away from the reed pan and warp in that position, losing their effectiveness as valves. This won't cause the other reed to sound (air is going through it the wrong way for that), but it will cause you to lose air, decreasing the efficiency with which you can play.

Thanks David, that makes good sense .... one mystery solved for me.

It's far more satisfying I think, to know why I should do a thing. ;)

I grew up in the 50s, when children were expected to be seen .... but not heard.

So, back in those far off days, if you were told to do something, you just did it, with no questions asked!

If you did have the nerve/cheek to ask why, you were usually fobbed off with the classic .... BECAUSE! :(

Cheers

Dick

I've read about keeping the bellows tightly closed, when you are not playing it .... Why?

The idea is that it stops the bellows from expanding and getting used to being in a slightly open position, thus reducing the amount of air available when you play. My own experience with very well made bellows (e.g. from the Dippers) is that this is a good idea at first, but after a year or so when the bellows are really well played in it is much less of an issue. However it is always a good idea to keep your concertina in a hard case when you're not playing it for a couple of reasons:- it helps smooth out temperature and humidity changes and it protects it from the more clumsy members of the human race. Plus, of course, it keeps the bellows compressed.

Danny, when you bowl your concertina to another person, do you prefer overarm or underarm? :o

Chris

Danny, when you bowl your concertina to another person, do you prefer overarm or underarm? :o

Doesn't matter, but a bit of side-spin can liven up any session.

I guess you could have someone roll it to you and hit it with a bat. But that just wouldn't be cricket now would it. :rolleyes:

DISCLAIMER: The poster is solely responsible for the above comments. They are strictly for entertainment purposes only. The opinions expressed here do not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of the owners, sponsers, members or stockholders of this forum. DO NOT try this at home with your concertina, or anyone elses for that matter, especially if the owner is also holding a bat.

matthew_king_cricket_bat_370x400.jpg

Edited by drbones

Doesn't matter, but a bit of side-spin can liven up any session.

I guess you could have someone roll it to you and hit it with a bat. But that just wouldn't be cricket now would it. :rolleyes:

DISCLAIMER: The poster is solely responsible for the above comments. They are strictly for entertainment purposes only. The opinions expressed here do not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of the owners, sponsers, members or stockholders of this forum. DO NOT try this at home with your concertina, or anyone elses for that matter, especially if the owner is also holding a bat.

If an anglo concertina is hit with a cricket bat in a forest, does it make a noise?

concertina-cricket.jpg

Patrick

I was going to get upset at that picture, but then I noticed it was one of those massproduced 20 button elcheapos.

And then I wasn't upset anymore.

Edit to Add: You know how you can tell that's a fauxtoshop?

The catcher would have a bat, too, if it was really a 20 button elcheapo being pitched.

Edited by wntrmute

I was going to get upset at that picture, but then I noticed it was one of those massproduced 20 button elcheapos.

And then I wasn't upset anymore.

The catcher would have a bat, too, if it was really a 20 button elcheapo being pitched.

WOW! Just last night I was replacing the rubber tubing between the buttons and the pivot arms on one exactly like that one. It's a Renelli made in Italy by, I believe, the same people who now make Stagis.

As for it making a noise in the forest, that only works if no one's around to hear it, which brings the question, "Who's hitting it?" Maybe a tree falling on it would produce the same effect. I guess it'll remain a moot point. Where can I buy a cricket bat? Mind you, I've got nothin' against insects, but I never did like those noisy little bastaris!

Edited by drbones

actually you can tell its photoshopped coz there is no shadow under the concertina and the lighting doesn't match...

edit: sorry I'm a bit of a geek :rolleyes:

Edited by LDT

actually you can tell its photoshopped coz there is no shadow under the concertina and the lighting doesn't match...

OK miss smarty pants, Maybe the lighting looks off due to the high speed at which the concertina is traveling away from the camera which would produce the Doppler effect slowing the light waves as it moves away and making it appear darker.

Also how come the batter and catcher don't have shadows. Maybe they're vampires.

Sorry I had to get all scientific on ya. :P

OK miss smarty pants, Maybe the lighting looks off due to the high speed at which the concertina is traveling away from the camera which would produce the Doppler effect slowing the light waves as it moves away and making it appear darker.

Also how come the batter and catcher don't have shadows. Maybe they're vampires.

Sorry I had to get all scientific on ya. :P

How did you know my nickname? ;)

Nearly there though almost convinced me it was real. lol! :)

The batter does have a shadow buts its light and stretched and the catcher's shadow is behind the bump in the ground ;)

I know next to nothing about concertina's but graphics is something I can comment on but no one asks me about :( ... Photoshopping is my job and hobby. :)

but now I'm going way off topic...sorry. *reminds self not to be a graphics bore.*

Edited by LDT