71 Key Lachenal Maccan

Dirge

I'm selling a 71 key Lachenal; it's a fine instrument of good tone and light action. I bought it at long range only to find afterwards that it does not have the low B and Bb that 71's usually have on the right hand. (dopey!) Because of this it doesn't offer any gains over my existing instruments so I am selling it on. It's bass goes down to F as usual for an instrument of this size.

It is currently under Mike Acott's care in Ipswich, England; he has known the instrument for some years it seems and can take a credit for how well it plays; it was a coldly logical yet difficult decision not to keep it; it's a nice thing.

It's the stretched lozenge shape of the larger new models; this is comfortable to play and seems to keep the size down. The plating is wearing on the ends as they often do. The buttons are ivory and slightly larger than usual, which I liked; the spacing is pretty standard. The bellows are original, not rebound, and light and supple. The concertina is number 836 which puts it very early in the Maccan duet series, perhaps about 1890; I think it likely that this was made just before the edeophone came out so would have been an absolute top of the range 'box when it was made. I certainly think it is top notch. Percy Honri is pictured with similar instruments in his earlier pictures and the Horniman has an example, but somewhat later.

Mike has given it a once over (it didn't need much). There's no box with it. Price? A very reasonable £2150 to you sir (and if your opinion of its quality matches mine, that IS reasonable). Ring Mike on 01473 743080

Please hurry up and buy it because I have my eye on something else and I had enough trouble convincing She Who Must Be Obeyed that a third concertina was a reasonable idea...(Does anyone read Ryder Haggard these days?)

Pictures:Bass side viewTreble side

Edited by Dirge

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
And even now it could be yours...

How does a fiver a week grab you? :unsure:

That's a cheeky offer, Pete! At that rate, the repayment time would be approx. 6.5 years and no doubt Dirge would seek some interest on those terms. Mind you, if you went out busking with it and put any money earned towards the repayments, you might be able to pay it off a bit quicker. ;)

Chris

And even now it could be yours...

How does a fiver a week grab you? :unsure:

That's a cheeky offer, Pete! At that rate, the repayment time would be approx. 6.5 years and no doubt Dirge would seek some interest on those terms. Mind you, if you went out busking with it and put any money earned towards the repayments, you might be able to pay it off a bit quicker. ;)

Chris

Well it's not doing anyone any good at the moment, which is a waste and a shame, so I'd at least consider any proposal, but Chris is right; your version's a rather too long term settlement...

Dirge, me old mate, me old pal, me old mucker; as you well know I'd love to have a stab at playing duet but that will have to wait for some time I fear, financial circumstances forbid.

T'was simply a rueful backward glance at another nice looking 'tina I can't afford. :(

The price seems very reasonable indeed, compared with the Ab/Bb Jeffries currently for sale at the Button Box. That one can be yours for $13.000.00 !

There's no rational here, you simply cannot compare prices of the different concertina systems. They each have their own pricing structure which isn't remotely connected with any form of logic other than market forces. :rolleyes:

The price seems very reasonable indeed, compared with the Ab/Bb Jeffries currently for sale at the Button Box. That one can be yours for $13.000.00 !

There's no rational here, you simply cannot compare prices of the different concertina systems. They each have their own pricing structure which isn't remotely connected with any form of logic other than market forces. :rolleyes:

Chris Algar told me that Anglos had gone through the roof but the English was holding its price. Just as well that's what I wanted, thought I! Of course, I could have done with an extra 500 knicker but as a beginner right at the start of a recession, I had to be a bit sensible (and my wife would have had parts of me for garters had I been too carefree with the wallet).

Ian

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Still for sale.

Not sure the moderators will allow you to sell a still on this site.... :o

Happy to assist in sampling the results though ;) ;) ;)

(Has to be an improvement on 45 South)

MC

You can legally distill your own here in NZ, so selling stills is fine...

I wish someone would buy the concertina though. I need the money to buy a concertina.

Still for sale.

MC

I wish someone would buy the concertina though. I need the money to buy a concertina.

So, what would you buy ? (configuration-wise, that is) I have to live vicariously at the moment as business went off a cliff. (still working on the electric car though)

Jack

Still for sale.

MC

So, what would you buy ? (configuration-wise, that is) I have to live vicariously at the moment as business went off a cliff. (still working on the electric car though)

Jack

Oh never anything but a Maccan. I've got my name on another smashing instrument but complementary to what I have now, rather than doubling up as this one does.

Editted to add: Nearly missed that. Electric car???

Edited by Dirge