Beginnings...

LDT

Not yet...(I know ships and machines are 'female' but)I think its a 'male' concertina though. ;)

Plus people think I'm odd enough getting a concertina...naming it too...might be a step too far. lol!

oh you gotta have a name! or else me and clemmy will feel sad!

;)

Well I was thinking of calling it Scotty (well it seemed the nearest male name to Scarlatti ;) cue Star Trek jokes)

Not yet...(I know ships and machines are 'female' but)I think its a 'male' concertina though. ;)

LDT,

I beg to differ. Musical instruments seem to be definitely female. At least, when I take one on my knee and squeeze it or stroke it, my wife gets jealous. She really hates the autoharp, because I hug it. :lol:

Cheers,

John

Oh my ones male...it prefers it when I slouch on the sofa to play and its a bit lazy I have to 'nag' it to work....but once it knows what its doing its fine. ;)

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Hogmanay pub night in the West Highlands, 1981 - itinerant musicians lighting up the night. Among them, Wendy Stewart, one of Scotland's top clarseach players, also doing a great job on English concertina. Not long after, I ran across a 1915 Wheatstone in Glasgow for £100. That was the beginning. :D

I beg to differ. Musical instruments seem to be definitely female. At least, when I take one on my knee and squeeze it or stroke it, my wife gets jealous. She really hates the autoharp, because I hug it. :lol:

Oh my ones male...it prefers it when I slouch on the sofa to play and its a bit lazy I have to 'nag' it to work....but once it knows what its doing its fine. ;)

Hm! Yours sounds pretty male, all right!

Maybe instruments are always the opposite sex to the player?

;)

Cheers,

John

(anybody else sad enough to name their instrument? :) )

Yup. My fiddle is named Titania (after the queen of the fairies in A Midsummer's Night Dream), my concertina is named Linda (After a friend who passed on just before I got the 'tina), my Mom's 'cello is maned Celeste, and her violin is Linny.

My Dulcimer has yet to be named, as does my second best violin, but my first half-size violin is affectionately known as "Tiny" among her friends. ;)

(anybody else sad enough to name their instrument? :) )

Well... All named by my girlfriend:

My first fiddle is a german one loud and sharp like a razor blade. Definitely, a she: 'Sheila'. My second - nowadays, actually the most played - is a french one with a beatiful deep and round sond, and much easier to play than the another one ;) : Thus, he's named 'Robert'.

About the squeezeboxes, my Rochelle is named 'Tina' :rolleyes: and my B/C melodeon, 'Thomas'.

Don't ask me why, but all the names make sense to me...

Cheers

I got given an old east german concertina when I was aged 4, and most of the bands around me at that time were melodeon dominated. Anyway, two years of listening to bands later, I'm playing young collins on it aged 6. At christmas that year I found I had been spoilt and 'treated' (i was 6) to a 30 key G/D gremlin. Which I learnt many tunes on.

Until that is someone gave me a melodeon when I was 8, and I decided it was easier to play as there was buttons on the left hand end that play chords. Not knowing anything bout music theory at this time I decided this was the better option for me. Until I came to University on the folk degree in 2006 and brushed up on my knowledge of chords and had the pleasure of sitting around playing tunes everyday. I've really got back into the concertina (anglo) since then and now have two really nice boxes and a restoration project lachenal on the go.

I should really spend more time looking through the threads on here as I haven't been on the site for ages! Oops...... as for naming my instruments- I don't but I play a Norman and a Marcus!

Well growing up in a Sicilian, German, Polish mixed community (back when you could legally close a street for a block party and there where no illegal substances and kids listened to their parents[mostly :rolleyes: ]). I got to liking the sound from squeeze boxes.

Than I got into English Country Dancing and Contra and the bug bit deeper. Than about four years ago I played one for a bit that a friend had and well let's just say I am glad that it did bite as the road of life has taken a few turns since than.

I own a Rochelle that is simply called "Rochelle". A Lachenal 20b C/G that is called "Gabby" and my son is learning on. the many and various other instrument in the house (we have a very musical bend in the family, more due to the wife than me). There is a chinese nightmare 30b english that is simply the CN and a 48 button english lachenal that I am restoring and fitting new bellows to and having fits with the bent arm pivots not wanting to function just right but learning and having fun.

The other instruments are varied from the free reed family and my wifes love of strings and brass (low end of the brass family, euphie and bari).

Love the sound and find the craftsmanship and design to be very intriguing.

Michael

• 1 month later...
I'm being nosey again ;P

SO what made you want to learn the concertina? Who inspired you? Did you have any goals when you started?

Hi LDT,

Well, once al our family were camping, and it came that a music group(Irish music) had turned up for the weekend. My Dad and I ended up having a long look at all the instruments. We ended up becoming part of the group. So, in a later 3 years, we turned up there. I was with the keyboard but hadn't been practising much, so didn't bring it along, and that's where I met a nice friend, and a few others. I got introduced to the concertina by some of those people. A few months after, after reading about them and everything, I begged my father, "I want one'. I got one 1 week before my 14th birthday, all the way from America. Anyway, so I've come a long way, over 8 months. I don't have any actual fav conc. players but I've heard a fair few. The things that I like most of all is about the concrtina is: portable, smaller then most other instruments, love the sound, lots of people playing it(shouldn't be too hard to find anyone around the place: Northern N.S.W., Australia), and lots more other likings about it.

In matter of fact actually, there's a session on today(Friday), it's the same group that I was first introduced to the concertina, and it goes all weekend again. Looking forward to it, just packing the car now actually, got to go, anyway,

have a great weekend... and keep squeezing.

Kind Regards,

Patrick ;) :)

P.S. forgot... my main goal, was to play any traditional music I laid my eyes on, including old Australian music, ex. click go the shears, waltzing matilda. I was once more goaling to become famous, but having lots of conc. playing people to talk to, it changes.Actually, could you give me a copy or at least a link for the click go the shears music. I did a google search and all of them were not free. needed to pay for them.

Edited by Patrick King

Saw one, wanted one, bought one.

I only had a month left in England, and didn't have time to go looking for a good version of something I knew nothing about, so hey ho, bought it from Hobgoblin, and it arrived a week before I left, in a lovely big parcel full of polystyrene maggots. Brilliant!

Got a starter book at the same time, learned the notes, then had to put it away for 2 months because of unappreciative guests - Ukrainian teenagers can be as scornful as any other teenagers about that there trad stuff! :rolleyes:

Started again last October, when I discovered the Irish session. To be honest though, I'm not sure it did me much good. I mean the people are lovely, but there aren't very many of them, so there's nowhere to hide! It's also more of a public performance than the English sessions I went to, and that is really hard if you lack confidence on your instrument. It's very, very Irish too, and mostly very, very fast, so a lot of the time I feel like a bit of a lemon sitting there!

It doesn't have a proper name, or a gender, it's just my liddle black baby, and I love it. B)

P.S. forgot... my main goal, was to play any traditional music I laid my eyes on, including old Australian music, ex. click go the shears, waltzing matilda. I was once more goaling to become famous, but having lots of conc. playing people to talk to, it changes.Actually, could you give me a copy or at least a link for the click go the shears music. I did a google search and all of them were not free. needed to pay for them.

Hi Patrick,

Try this:

http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:ZTsiU...;cd=2&gl=uk

I remember Stan Hugill discussing "Strike the Bell" and "Click go the Shears", and saying that it was the same tune. Seems to be confirmed by the footnotes on this link.

Good luck!

Peter.

I saw this thread a few weeks ago, and since then have given it some thought, but I still don't know the answer! I really can't remember any Damascus moment when I knew I simply had to learn this strange instrument - no memory of being amazed by someone playing one.

The only thing which might have caused it was spending three weeks lugging a guitar around on a busking holiday, and taking it on trains for the rehearsals. After that I was always slightly envious of anybody who played something small and easily transported. So it could have been a penny whistle or a harmonica. But no, I went for the expensive option...

I'm being nosey again ;P

SO what made you want to learn the concertina? Who inspired you? Did you have any goals when you started?

That's easy, I walked into a pub on the main street of Miltown Malbay in 1978 & saw the guys from Stockstons Wing playing a session .... so yes, the first Anglo player I ever saw was Noel Hill. I bought my first wee Anglo, not long after that.