Tom Tolly's Hornpipe

michael sam wild

Thanks Leo the Fiddler's tune index is superb. It also calls it Tom Fowler's

I've just Googled it and found an old thread on Melodeon Net and it was on the Lewes Folk Tunes site too with a computerised tune of it which brought it back instantly. That and ABc should capture it again.

I now seem to remember the woman who played it saying it was Joshua Jackso's book and that Flag and Bone dance team from Harrogate use it. Funny what jogs the memory innit?

I've just Googled it and found an old thread on Melodeon Net and it was on the Lewes Folk Tunes site too with a computerised tune of it which brought it back instantly. That and ABc should capture it again.

I now seem to remember the woman who played it saying it was Joshua Jackso's book and that Flag and Bone dance team from Harrogate use it. Funny what jogs the memory innit?

I think you're stealing my tune book... :D

I have this ABC notation, which is named Tom tolley's hornpipe, but cross refers to Tom Fowler's hornpipe

X: 7937

T:Tom Tolleys Hornpipe

B:Joshua Jackson ms (Geoff Bowen)

O:England

N:Tom Fowlers in Winder, but 8-bar 2nd part

R:Hornpipe

M:2/4

K:G

(Bc)|\

(dc)(BA) (Gg)(fg)| Te4 d4| cdcB ABAG| F4E4|\

(DE)(FG) A2B2| (c3d/e/)d2 c2| BAGA D2F2| G6::

d2|\

g2bg e2ag| Tf4d4| g2ag e2ag| f4 d2ef|\

gddd gddd| gdgd gddd|

(g3f) (ed)(cB)| ABAG F3E|\

DEFG A2B2| c3d/e/ d2c2| BAGA D2F2| G6 :|

hope this helps,

John Wild

Tom Fowler's Hornpipe and Tom Tolley's Hornpipe share the same 'A' part but the 'B' parts are slightly different. I have added versions of both to the Tune-O-Tron along with another nice Northumbrian hornpipe called Bielbie's Hornpipe. Tom Tolley's Hornpipe seems to be very popular at sessions in the West of England, as I am sure Chris Timpson will confirm. The duo Anahata and Mary Humphries play a nice version of Tom Fowler's Hornpipe preceded by The Harlequin Air, on their second CD Floating Verses.

Chris

Here's Tom Fowler's Hornpipe from the Winder MS.

Brian Peters plays this version on anglo.

X:1

T:Tom Fowlers Hornpipe

R:Hornpipe

M:4/4

L:1/8

O:England

A:Lancashire

B:Winder collection

K:G

Bc|\

dcBA Ggfg | e4 d4 | \

cdcB ABAG | F4 E4 | \

DEFG A2B2 | c2de d2c2 |

BAGA D2F2 | G6::\

d2|\

g2bg e2ag | f4 d2ef |

g3f edcB | ABAG F3E |\

DEFG A2B2 | c2de d2c2 | \

BAGA D2F2 | G6 :|

Thanks everybody This is great. It's also in Barry Callaghan's Hardcore English but until I heard it I didn't know what a good one it was. I can't read the dots quick enough to recognise a good tune so rely on hearing them in some form, then I can bumble through with dots and ABc

Just when I get it , I'll probably be told 'that's been done to death'!

It felt 'old' to me after listening to Magnetic North's version on Barry Callaghan's CD; so I went to John Offord's ' John of the Green ye Cheshire Way' (my edition is 1985 but I read he has a new one out 2008). It's the same tune in G. Called Tom Tullie's Hornpipe. But he gave no dates, I'll go on the Web. Also I read somewhere it was in O'Neill's as a set dance -Tom Tully's- but I can't find it in my books. Has anyone got the earlies written record?

Could it be an old 3/2 Hornpipe?.. anybody got any info?

Mike

I've also found it on a record by Phoenix from Stroud area , Firebird Music (Rod Stradling and pals) so it's leading me into some interesting territory.

The comment on 3/2 was because some of those old hornpipes mutated into 4/4 time in the 1700s.

I also wonder whether it was a 'Stage' hornpipe from the era of sailor's hornpipes . Tom Tolly sounds a bit stagey like Jackie Tar.

All info gratefully received.

It's a pity the older Offord book doesn't give sources.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

The Flag and Bone Gang do indeed use the version of this tune (and others) from Joshua Jackson's book. They also use tunes from "The Fiddler of Helperby". Both these tune collections are from villages close by Harrogate. If you interested further see http://www.crimple.demon.co.uk/fabmeds.htm. Chas