More Advice For Another Newbie....

hello nice people

being somewhat new to (and overwhelmed by!) forums i thought i'd ask a question that i can't seem to find the answer to -- so apologies if its already been answered!

Like my friend LDT i am considering the Rochelle, but was also considering a specific stagi - the Stagi-W-15-MS 30 button Anglo Chromatic Concertina, and am wondering if anyone could give me tips on which would be the better buy.

thank you! :)

Welcome to the forum! Hope we don't disappoint.

The Rochelle is a good starting instrument, especially for the money. It's a long time since I've played around with a Stagi so I don't feel qualified to give you a comparison. I'd say you are wise to be looking at 30 button instruments, though.

Cheers,

Chris

I've tried Stagis and own a Rochelle, and I prefer the feel of the Rochelle just in terms of the feel of the instrument. This issue has been discussed before, and I think the general consensus was that while the quality of the Rochelle is fairly consistent Stagis can vary a whole lot between individual instruments; with some being very good for the price and others being kind of cruddy. There are so-called 'turbo' Stagis, where a maker/repairer has gone through and tweaked the instrument up with some improvements that bring the quality up to a higher and more consistent level.

My two cents, YMMV.

I can only answer half the question, as I have not played a Stagi. I started on a Rochelle, and am expecting a Tedrow baritone in about two weeks. I decided to keep the Rochelle for, as Bob T put it, a campfire concertina. I have completely enjoyed playing it, even if it isn't very pretty.

NNY

that's three for the rochelle then. :)

has no one played the stagi w-15-ms? that in itself seems to be a bit of an anti-recommendation

I'd say you are wise to be looking at 30 button instruments, though.

Cheers,

Chris

yeah i thought it would be unwise to go smaller, especially as (if possible!) i dont want to be limited to the two keys. but i guess that depends what tunes you're playing and what sharps/flats are available...

I own a Stagi W-15 and a Jackie (the English equivalent of the Rochelle). I acquired the Stagi from someone who in turn acquired from the Button Box, so my guess is that it has been adjusted. The action is quite stiff and its sound in the treble range is squeaky. I prefer the tone as well as the action of the Jackie. However, the Stagi looks nice.

hello nice people

being somewhat new to (and overwhelmed by!) forums i thought i'd ask a question that i can't seem to find the answer to -- so apologies if its already been answered!

Like my friend LDT i am considering the Rochelle, but was also considering a specific stagi - the Stagi-W-15-MS 30 button Anglo Chromatic Concertina, and am wondering if anyone could give me tips on which would be the better buy.

thank you! :)

I have owned both (actually owned the 30-button Stagi W15-LN model) in the recent past and much preferred the Stagi to the Rochelle. Rochelle had the better sound, but it was terribly difficult to play due to very stiff bellows. The stiffness never worked out even after several months of near-daily playing. I've heard others comment on the Rochelle's stiffness also, but I cannot tell you if this is a common or rare issue. Rochelle is a good buy for the money compared to the Stagi, but if it is more difficult to play, then the cheaper price was not a bargain. Stagi looks and size also much preferred over the Rochelle. I sold my Rochelle and kept my Stagi till I could upgrade from it. No regrets, though my opinion is probably the minority view. Best of luck whatever your decision.

Edited by CaryK

Catty,

I like the quote at the bottom of your entry. Is that a pesonal statment, or a quote from someone else? If a quote, I would like to know from whom.

randy

I don't remember where I saw it...but it sure fit what I was doing when I was employed as a musician in a long term care facility. I just googled and came up with this: Troubador's Creed

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/archiv.../t-1517396.html

Catty,

I like the quote at the bottom of your entry. Is that a pesonal statment, or a quote from someone else? If a quote, I would like to know from whom.

randy

I don't remember where I saw it...but it sure fit what I was doing when I was employed as a musician in a long term care facility. I just googled and came up with this: Troubador's Creed

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/archiv.../t-1517396.html

It dose seems to have a sintax problem in this part of the phrase.

"celebrate to best of it."

What do you make of that? Should it be "celebrate THE best of it"?