Jones 36-k On Ebay

Anglo-Irishman

Saw this neat looking little Jones from an Italian seller (the description is GB/I bilingual). I've requested the proffered pics of innards and reeds.

What I don't like is the white patches on some corners of the bellows. The seller says it was restored recently - do these patches hint at a rather slap-dash restoration?

And, assuming everything is as it seems - what is a Jones 36-k worth these days? (Serial number is 14127 - what age would that be?)

Cheers,

John

I've requested the proffered pics of innards and reeds.

John,

I expect it will have Jones' broad reeds, though they could be of steel or brass. Jones advertised that the steel ones "never break, never go out of tune", but most people would consider them pretty unresponsive. :(

What I don't like is the white patches on some corners of the bellows. The seller says it was restored recently - do these patches hint at a rather slap-dash restoration?

I see the seller states that the "Restoration has been made by Anders Trabjerg in Galway", in which case (knowing him as I do) I would expect it to have been carefully done, but Anders has now told me that, though he tuned the instrument and carried out internal repairs, it was not he (but the seller) who put those white leather corners on the bellows.

Anders is a great (and powerful) box player. You should check out these clips of him playing for set dancers on YouTube: on his 3-voice C#/D grey Paolo Soprani, and on his 8-voice Baldoni, Bartoli.

Edited by Stephen Chambers

not to be a pain, but there are 26 buttons not 36.

and hence worth quite bit less...........

OK, OK! So I made a typo! :o

26 is obviously worth less than 36 - now, if only I knew what a 36-k was worth, and then the differnce in Euros per button ... :(

Cheers,

John

John,

I expect it will have Jones' broad reeds, though they could be of steel or brass. Jones advertised that the steel ones "never break, never go out of tune", but most people would consider them pretty unresponsive. :(

Stephen,

The photos reveal steel reeds in brass frames - and a clean and tidy looking action.

What precisely do you mean by "unresponsive"? Slow to speak? Little dynamic variation? ...?

Cheers,

John

Edited by Anglo-Irishman

Stephen,

What precisely do you mean by "unresponsive"? Slow to speak? Little dynamic variation? ...?

John,

Yes, all of that.

Hm!

So my Stagi is responsive, then! The only problem I have with response is the bottom C. When I try to play it by itself and loud, it stalls. With another note, or a teeny bit of air valve, is starts all right, and keeps sounding.

Am I right in assuming that, back in the "vintage" years, a 28-k Jones would not have been a top-of-the-line concertina?

Cheers,

John

Hm!

So my Stagi is responsive, then! The only problem I have with response is the bottom C. When I try to play it by itself and loud, it stalls. With another note, or a teeny bit of air valve, is starts all right, and keeps sounding.

John

Typical symptoms of reed tongue set too low. Try gently lifting the tongue to bend it upwards slightly. Make small adjustment then test, them more adjustment if necessary.

John,

I'd agree with Theo's analysis on that issue.

Am I right in assuming that, back in the "vintage" years, a 26-k Jones would not have been a top-of-the-line concertina?

Yes.