I've Been Spending Again

Pete Dunk

Gorgeous! Serial #?

Congratulations!

Greg

The serial no. is 31381 which dates it to 5th Feb. 1927 so it's from the golden period.

What's the story then?

I got chatting to a forum member on here who does repairing/tuning and sells the occasional instrument, I visited it a while ago when it was in a much sorrier state. It now has new pads/valves/bushings, tuned to concert pitch and the ends have been buffed and lacquered. The price was right too and compared to some of the silly money asked by dealers and retailers these days, a real bargain.

Well, you´ll never get rich that way but maybe a little bit happier!

Congratulations to this beautiful instrument - I am sure it´s going to be a pleasure to play maybe you can drop a little note...

Oh, a tenor-treble must be nice, I´d love to have some deeper notes too...

Greetings

Christian

I would expect you would have to pay anything up to £3,000 for a metal-ended T/T Aeloa like this in good condition, if you were buying it from a dealer. Chris Algar currently sells wooden-ended 48 key treble Aeloas for around £2,300-£2,500 compared to £1800 for a wooden-ended 48 key treble Edeophone, so you obviously got a good deal here. My partner Rosie bought a lovely mid 1920's metal-ended T/T Aeloa, like yours, complete with original leather case, many years ago from a certain Stephen Chambers, when he was living in London, for just a few hundred pounds! How times (and values) have changed. Mary Humphreys, English concertina player and singer and one half of the duo with Anahata, bought a lovely T/T Aeola last year from Steve Dickenson who had fully overhauled it. I don't know what she paid for it but she described it to me as her pension! I know a chap who has a collection of concertinas (he does play them all) including 6 Jeffries Anglos. Now, that's what I'd call a pension!!

Chris

Well, you´ll never get rich that way but maybe a little bit happier!

Congratulations to this beautiful instrument - I am sure it´s going to be a pleasure to play maybe you can drop a little note...

Oh, a tenor-treble must be nice, I´d love to have some deeper notes too...

Greetings

Christian

Well Christian, if you're really serious and can't go to the price of an Aeola, this New Model Lachenal is still available:

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=7567

Edited by John Adey