Bodhron

Hi,

This is kinda off topic but perhaps someone may know. Im sure many of you are multy talented session players. Im looking for an 18" tunable t bar Bodhron, a case and some tippers. Also looking for advise. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Thanks!

I think tuneable is key in the US, but strongly feel that a smaller drum is a better idea. A 16, or 14 inch drum if tuneable gives more sonic possibilities. Drums easily available in the US by Albert Alfonso, Mance Grady, or Rob Fornker are all great instruments made by top notch players. The cross bar, although a somewhat standard item, is not necessary to play the instrument. Each of these makes have tippers available, and cases are also easily obtained. I use a 16 inch Albert Alfonso, with tippers made by Alfonso, and Aaron Olwell, and my own tipper of bamboo rushes and taped together. My case by Blue Heron case company. I also play an old bodhrán I made myself ( not tuneable) about 15 years ago.

Hi,

This is kinda off topic but perhaps someone may know. Im sure many of you are multy talented session players. Im looking for an 18" tunable t bar Bodhron, a case and some tippers. Also looking for advise. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Thanks!

Bob,

A friend of mine builds them. He lives in the Chicago area. Everyone around here buys them. Check out his website: Mike Quinlan Drums Best build quality. He lays up the shells himself. Tell him Cusick sent you.

Oh and he made a Square Concertina. Gave it to me to finish. I'll post some pics - eventually. He made it years ago -

Dan

Hi,

Thanks!

Hi,

Thanks!

I have seen/heard some great 12" bodhrans with deep bodies, I'm guessing 6", these drums have a great tone, and are tuneable.

I tried to find some tuneable 12" bodhrans like the ones I had seen, and I did find some, they were a bit pricey ( but cheap compared to a tina...), unfortunately i don't have that link handy.

Recently I saw a local Irish band using one of these smaller deep bodhrans. One of the players in Lunasa also had one of these smaller bodhrans last I saw them play.

Mance Grady in Rhode Island makes tuneable bodhrans and cases. His website is here (and here). I'm no expert on the instruments myself, but he's been a craft room vendor at NEFFA (the New England Folk Festival) for the past couple of years at least, and people seem to like his work.

(edited to correct punctuation)

Edited by jdms

Hi,

Thanks!

My favorite bodhran is the top model made by Mike Vignoles in Ireland. I have had one for 15 years or so, have used it live and in recordings... it's really the best I've played - though I know there are great bodhran makers out there that I haven't tried.

Here is a link to him: http://www.irelandwoodcrafts.com/ ... Get the top model, because he does make some more inexpensive ones, but I haven't played any, so can't vouch for them. Make sure you get a tunable... living in the US.

All the best.

- John Mock