Slower Downer

Bob Norris

I remember seing a free utility that slows music down but keeps its pitch. Anybody remember seeing that?

Hi Bob,

I use Amazing slow downer, for the first two tunes of a cd

I use a combination of the tune-o-tron on C.net and the session.org, and insert the Q: field

happy playing

Dirk

Even the simple Windows Media Player (on board of most PC's) can slow down (to 0.5) and speed up (to 2.0) <_<

post-37-1206685476_thumb.jpg

Hi,

Slower Downer does it but its $49.00 Audacity also does it but it changes the pitch as it S L O W S down.

Slower Downer does it but its $49.00 Audacity also does it but it changes the pitch as it S L O W S down.

Yes, you have to pay to geta fully working version of the Amazing Slowdowner, the demo version is limited ie the first track on a CD or the first xx second of a wav/mp3 file.

Audacity has 3 different functions, change pitch - change speed (does both pitch and tempo) and change tempo - which is the one you want for slow down at same pitch

Chris

I second the recommendation of Transcribe!, available for both Mac and Windows. I use it on an 8-year-old Mac. Well worth the price. You can assess that for yourself during the 30-day free trial period.

I also have a Windows laptop, and I occasionally use the slow-down feature of Windows Media Player on it. It's OK in a pinch but doesn't handle things like "rewinding" or "looping" gracefully. Also, it can't slow down WAV files.

Roni Amazing Slow Downer. Cost $40. to download 4 years ago. I use it on an average of an hour on every other day.

Over 4 years; 720 hours = 5.5 cents /hour

Learning tool help provided: Priceless

Question: How many years do I have to use it before they start paying me?

I will admit that there are many services for free to be found. But only if your time is worth the searching and the free product delivers the essential features you need. Hardly anyone has enough practice time.

One perspective.

Greg

I remember seing a free utility that slows music down but keeps its pitch. Anybody remember seeing that?

Audacity. It runs on Linux, Mac and if you must - Windows. Audacity home page.

audacity-macosx.png

For the Mac (OSX) users, there is a free and very, very flexible solution.

I will not spend time describing it here, but if anybody wants, feel free to ask :).

/Henrik

Roni Amazing Slow Downer. Cost $40. to download 4 years ago. I use it on an average of an hour on every other day.

Over 4 years; 720 hours = 5.5 cents /hour

Learning tool help provided: Priceless

Question: How many years do I have to use it before they start paying me?

I will admit that there are many services for free to be found. But only if your time is worth the searching and the free product delivers the essential features you need. Hardly anyone has enough practice time.

One perspective.

Greg

You are correct. I bought it today. You see,, I can record our pipe music, then play by ear (choose pleasing notes ;) and then speed it up. Priceless

Good for you! I have not only found it to be an excellent product for my needs but disovered the support is good too. No problem when we switched to XP.

Roni was there to answer my questions and help with the reinstallation.

Nice to find a product that does everything as advertised.

Best of luck in your musical endeavors.

Greg

Good for you! I have not only found it to be an excellent product for my needs but disovered the support is good too. No problem when we switched to XP.

Roni was there to answer my questions and help with the reinstallation.

Nice to find a product that does everything as advertised.

Best of luck in your musical endeavors.

Greg

Thanks,

Works really well. Ive got half a tune off already. I do have a problem however. When I start the program I get an error message: "This program has encountered an error and must close" as usual with windows if you don't click the "ok" you can continue using the program just fine. Anyone else had this happen? I emailed support nothing back yet.

There is a plug-in module for Audacity (its modular ;) ) that maintains the pitch when you slow it down. Its late now - I'll look it up tomorrow and post it later. Oh and Audacity is quite stable and the plug-in is free too.

I am a great fan and advocate for the program "Transcribe" by Seventh String Software, been using it to learn tunes from recording for many many years:

http://www.seventhstring.com

Versions available for Mac, Windows, and Linux. Its not free, but worth the very reasonable price.

I've posted information on how I use the program to learn tunes at:

http://www.tradlessons.com/?page_id=135

Michael

Edited by eskin