Playing At Sessions

Kelteglow

I sometimes have problems reproducing a tune I know well at sessions.I can start the tune but offten loose the thread when other players join in.Is it because I can't here what I am playing or that I then change from leading the tune to following the other players.Sorry it's a bit deep.I would be interested to know other players theory's. All the best Bob.

My first thought is that you need to play more with others. This is hard at first and only gets easier by doing.

My second thought is that it depends on the session. Some sessionistas hear a new player start off tentatively and, in trying to help them, they might clean up the rhythm, pickup the tempo, and in effect, take the lead. The new player may be relived that this has happened but it leaves the new player following.

In our sessions, my rule---not always followed, but mostly---is that we try to respect the new players tempo and the mood they are trying to create. Nothing wrong with helping keep the rhythm smooth, but staying slow, if thats where they started is only fair. Maybe on the third time around we will kick it up to speed. I think what you discribe is one of the primary issues that can keep new players from sticking their neck out....chop, chop.

randy

Hallo Bob,

Reproducing a tune you know at sessions all comes with practice.Most will say unless you are taking the lead that if you can hear yourself then you are too loud.If you are too loud , not playing correctly or speeding up the tune,you may get told off or in Dave Prebble's case throw the person speeding up the tune in the Manchester Ship Canal.

A simple way to overcome your difficulties is to record the session then play it full blast at home and try and play along.You can adjust the sound to see if you are doing it OK.

With new tune learning try and find the basic tune without the twiddles,these can be added as you gain confidence. Gradually it will all come together and like me you can look back in horror at some of the sessions you attended and even now at the last George Session, a member of this site slapped my wrist for stamping my foot so loudly whilst playing a new march, I have just composed and it nearly shook him off his stool.His remark was that I had bought an army of soldiers with me to enhance the tune. My excuse was that it was noisy in the pub being almost full of Italians.

So much to learn

Al

........ even now at the last George Session, a member of this site slapped my wrist for stamping my foot so loudly whilst playing a new march, I have just composed and it nearly shook him off his stool. His remark was that I had bought an army of soldiers with me to enhance the tune. My excuse was that it was noisy in the pub being almost full of Italians.

So much to learn.

Al

Well, someone had to put their foot down, Alan! ;)

Chris

PS Nice tune, by the way and very appropriate, given the month we are in.

Hallo Bob,

Reproducing a tune you know at sessions all comes with practice.Most will say unless you are taking the lead that if you can hear yourself then you are too loud.If you are too loud , not playing correctly or speeding up the tune,you may get told off or in Dave Prebble's case throw the person speeding up the tune in the Manchester Ship Canal.

Al

I say Alan !!

Give a bloke a fair chance. The Lithium and Amitriptyline combined with Anger Management therapy at last seem to be having some effect. I'll have you know, I ain't broken anyone's fingers with my trusty pliers for nearly six weeks now.

I do get annoyed when I start a tune and it gets hijacked and speeded up by the company. This is often due to the fact that once several folks have joined in, it can be hard to hear the originator playing across the barroom and it only takes one person with a loud instrument at the other end to wind it up a bit and the rest then tend to follow. Ok life ain't perfect.

I reserve the 'red mist rage' for the occasions where a less experienced player plucks up the courage to start a tune at a speed they feel comfortable with, and gets over-ruled by some clever pillock who wants to play it at twice the speed. That is pure ignorance and bloody bad manners. I remember well just how patient folks were with me when I started playing many moons ago. I must have been pretty horrendous ... and had a loud concertina.

A good foot stamper can at times be a boon to keeping a steady tempo. One session I go to, the fiddler stamps both feet together and is as steady as a clock. Tends to raise a lot of dust from the pub carpet ... reminds me of the old ad about the hoover that ' beats as it sweeps as it plays hornpipes'

Take it steady owd lad B)

Dave

ps Manor Royal - ace tune mate !

Most will say unless you are taking the lead that if you can hear yourself then you are too loud.

Oddly enough, I'm not one of them. I spend a lot of time encouraging new players to play loud enough to hear themselves. A classic failing of the new player is playing very quietly so as not to offend other players with the wrong notes he or she is sure they are about to play. But when you play too quietly to hear yourself (remember, we're talking about new players here) you are sure not only to be playing wrong notes but not knowing when you've played the right notes! I frequently say in such circumstances, "the beginning of wisdom is playing loud enough to hear yourself".

is that we try to respect the new players tempo and the mood they are trying to create.

I would have said that is good manners whatever the experience of the player.

Chris

Edited by Chris Timson

SNIP, SNIP, SNIP

Dave

Awww, now come on, don't keep us in suspenders, what is this ace tune "Manor Royal??? Do tell.

The glorious GOOGLE tells me it's an industrial zone in Crawley!!

Jake

SNIP, SNIP, SNIP

Dave

Awww, now come on, don't keep us in suspenders, what is this ace tune "Manor Royal??? Do tell.

The glorious GOOGLE tells me it's an industrial zone in Crawley!!

Jake

You are correct Jake it is a Triumphant March and Manor Royal a nearby Industrial Estate sounded like a good name for it.

I have recorded it in C so all you with CG boxes can have a go at it.There are a couple of chords that need sorting however that have been pointed out to me.

Sad thing is Jake I do not know how to post it .

Al

I do get annoyed when I start a tune and it gets hijacked and speeded up by the company. This is often due to the fact that once several folks have joined in, it can be hard to hear the originator playing across the barroom and it only takes one person with a loud instrument at the other end to wind it up a bit and the rest then tend to follow. Ok life ain't perfect.

Me too!

I reserve the 'red mist rage' for the occasions where a less experienced player plucks up the courage to start a tune at a speed they feel comfortable with, and gets over-ruled by some clever pillock who wants to play it at twice the speed. That is pure ignorance and bloody bad manners. I remember well just how patient folks were with me when I started playing many moons ago. I must have been pretty horrendous ... and had a loud concertina.

Me too!

A good foot stamper can at times be a boon to keeping a steady tempo.

Yes, but not so heavily as to cause the floorboards to vibrate beneath my stool to the extent that I can feel myself bouncing up and down in time to the tempo as well. It really puts me off my stroke, don'tcha know.

... reminds me of the old ad about the hoover that ' beats as it sweeps as it plays hornpipes'

That wouldn't be 'Hoover The Dog' by any chance?

Chris