Read's Reeds In Toronto

The following item on ebay here says that the instrument was restored by Read's Reeds in Toronto> I have never heard of them, which is not surprising since there's an ocean in between, but if they are a reputable restorer I would like to list them in the FAQ. Anyone have any info?

TIA

Chris

That's me. I've been repairing, restoring and tuning some concertinas. Mostly on instruments I own and sell. I'm only doing a few instruments at present but people seem happy with the work so I thought it was time to let people know I'm there. I used the name as a supplier I deal with will only sell to companies. In Canada , as far as I know, there is only Frank Edgely doing it other than me (he did a beautiful job on a George Case I bought a few years back). I think he is concentrating more on making than repairing so it looks like there is room for me at the Eastern end of Ontario! Incidentally, Frank has been excellent with advice and support as has Chris Algar over in the UK.

I'm hoping to step up activity in this area in the future, particularly for other people.

I hope this clears things up.

As I recall, there used to be a woman in YYZ who did concertina repair/restoration, but I heard she gave it up when she found herself yelling at her baby when the curious kid started getting into her work.

Paul, do you know Ian Robb and others in the folk or Morris communities? They ought to know who I'm talking about. Seems to me it could be worthwhile finding her and talking to her.

There were two. One was Ian's wife Val (they are good friends and lent me their tuning bellows to model mine on). The other was Margo Kearney. Margo has now moved to London Ontario and is currently happy never to tune a concertina again (although she still has the wherewithal - I tried to buy it!) . Incidentally, that baby was probably her daughter , Shona, who helped me build the tuning bellows and also does excellent metal button repairs!

Regarding the morris community, I am with the Toronto Morris Men as is at least one other regular on the C.Net!

Edited by Paul Read

The other was Margo Kearney.

Yep, Margo's the one I was thinking of.

Incidentally, that baby was probably her daughter , Shona, who helped me build the tuning bellows and also does excellent metal button repairs!

Undoubtedly the one. How old is Shona now? It's been enough years that I don't remember how many.

Shona's in her late twenties, but I'm not sure how old exactly (should one ask a lady??). She is a jewellery maker (goldsmith) and also makes rapper swords if anyone's looking.

Shona dances on Toronto Women's Sword (with my wife). Both teams will be in the UK in July.