Northeast Concertina Workshop 2008

Richard Morse

The Button Box invites all concertina players to come to its annual Northeast Concertina Workshop on Saturday April 19th in Sunderland MA. The day-long series of 22 classes over the three workshop periods are geared toward players of varied skill levels on Anglo, English and Duet system concertinas. This year's staff notables include Micheál Ó Raghallaigh, John Roberts, Richard Carlin, Ian Robb... who will also perform in the evening concert.

A great learning and social event not to be missed! We hope to be seeing many of you there.

-- Rich --

For the beginner classes, would a 20 button Anglo be sufficient?
That depends on which beginners class, who's teaching it, and what keys your box plays in. In past years a 20-button C/G was suitable for most of the beginning Irish and repertoire classes, and a bit less suitable for the singing-with classes.

Let me know what keys your box is in and which classes you're most interested in and I'll check with the staffers and let you know how well your box will fare.

-- Rich --

The Button Box invites all concertina players to come to its annual Northeast Concertina Workshop on Saturday April 19th in Sunderland MA. The day-long series of 22 classes over the three workshop periods are geared toward players of varied skill levels on Anglo, English and Duet system concertinas.

-- Rich --

Hi Rich. I MAY be able to make it this year!

Can you say anything more about what the class offerings will be like for Hayden Duet players?

OF course, it's always worthwhile jsut to arrive the evening before at The Button Box and chat with players and play with the toys.

Thanks, Mike K.

Can you say anything more about what the class offerings will be like for Hayden Duet players?
David Barnert will be the duet guy this year. You've met him at past NESI and NCW events, and I hope he'll chime in here about his classes.

I'm particularly looking forward to his Chords and Harmony class as he'll be approaching it from his (considerably-schooled) music theory approach. Something I really need/appreciate when flushing out my musings. His Round Robin also is very enticing as we'll be able to glean techniques from everyone present.

David's Learning Tunes by Ear class isn't specifically a duet class but there are several other classes in that period you'd probably find interesting.

-- Rich --

David Barnert will be the duet guy this year. You've met him at past NESI and NCW events, and I hope he'll chime in here about his classes.

I'm particularly looking forward to his Chords and Harmony class as he'll be approaching it from his (considerably-schooled) music theory approach. Something I really need/appreciate when flushing out my musings. His Round Robin also is very enticing as we'll be able to glean techniques from everyone present.

David's Learning Tunes by Ear class isn't specifically a duet class but there are several other classes in that period you'd probably find interesting.

That pretty much says it. None of my classes will be specifically Hayden-oriented, although all should be valuable to Hayden players as that is my instrument, and what I have to teach is what I have learned while playing the Hayden Duet.

"Learning Tunes by Ear" will limit itself to melodies, and will be most appropriate for all types of melody instrument. Hayden and other duet players can give their left hands a rest. "Chords and Harmony" will be useful for duet players, English-style Anglo players, and other melody players who want to understand the theoretical framework of music to help them choose what else to play besides the melody. "Duet Tune Round Robin" is a chance to hear each participant play a tune we all know (Farewell to Whiskey, and if you don't know it there's a pdf of the dots posted at the BB's NCW registration page) and discuss what makes a decent performance out of it. The word "duet" in the title of that class is news to me. Perhaps it's the result of a miscommunication between me and Rich (I've been out of the country for 10 days with limited internet access) or perhaps Rich thought it made sense. I'd be happy to have non-deutters in the class.

The nature of all my classes will be influenced, to some extent, by who shows up. If a lot of Hayden players come to the Chords and Harmony class, for instance, or the Round Robin, we can get into applying what we've learned to the specific instrument.

Rich: I've also just noticed that the class listing on the main NCW page has a previous version of the line-up, omitting the "Learning Tunes by Ear" class.

Thanks, RIch. SUre, I know David -- great guy, and fine Haydenist.

I'm indeed free that weekend and will go find the registration page right now.

I'll contact you off-net re accomodations.

Right! We all have our own styles of accompanying ourselves, ands it's fun (especially for the listener) to mix them up in one piece.

I'll bring along my Bastari 67 bandoneon Hayden, tho lately I"be been playing mostly my Stagi 46.

--Mike K.

-- Rich --

I am really giving some thought to attending this.... vindictive ex-wives truly are a drag. :angry:

I'd love to show off the not-quite-(in)famous Anglo-Chemnitzer, though.

Hmmmmm.... food or concertina?

How intermediate is intermediate, though? I suspect I'd be best off in the class where the anglos have training wheels on 'em, but I do know what all of the notes are and I can muddle through a few songs at a reasonable pace. I'm guessing that the second Irish style anglo class in the 3rd session is actually for beginners, and not intermediate? (That's the workshop with Mr. T. B. Announced teaching it).

• 2 weeks later...
I am really giving some thought to attending this.... vindictive ex-wives truly are a drag.

Then dont' bring her....

It's just she's taking all my money.

But after doing my taxes, I am going to get a bit of spare cash, so I may be able to swing this without cutting too far into my sardine and triscuits food budget.

Looking again at the registration page, it looks like Mr. Edgley is replacing Mr. Announced for the introductory level Irish on the Anglo classes.

In figuring out what I should sign up for I still have questions about how beginning is the beginner level, and if the third workshop that Mr. Edgley is doing will be B or I (or maybe a B/I)? Is someone who's muddled through a bunch of tutors a B or an I? I've gotten Mr. Edgley's DVD and Anglo tutor book already, though I certainly wouldn't say that I've mastered all of it. Or any of it. Maybe some of it. It's just I wouldn't want to have a class in learning the layout and the scales. That much I've gotten.

Also, how vigilant are the local police about hassling people sleeping in their cars? (It saved a bunch of cash in my collegiate years. So don't laugh.)

Looking again at the registration page, it looks like Mr. Edgley is replacing Mr. Announced for the introductory level Irish on the Anglo classes.

In figuring out what I should sign up for I still have questions about how beginning is the beginner level, and if the third workshop that Mr. Edgley is doing will be B or I (or maybe a B/I)? Is someone who's muddled through a bunch of tutors a B or an I?

How do you fit with our description of B & I? The easiest thing might be to ask Frank directly about his class levels and what he plans to cover. He's a frequenter of this group!
Also, how vigilant are the local police about hassling people sleeping in their cars? (It saved a bunch of cash in my collegiate years. So don't laugh.)
Our police do check around during the night and I imagine would be concerned about anyone parking overnight in the school lot (probably make them move on?) and wake anyone sleeping in the Button Box lot (more concerned if they're okay but let them stay as it's private property - I could even give you a letter saying that it was okay for you to camp out there).

Practically speaking - there are no "facilities" at the Button Box (when we're closed) or public such anywhere in town for that matter. Also the average nighttime low here April is 34 degrees.

The least expensive motel in the area is the Red Roof Inn which goes for $72/night for one or $78/night for two people. Crashing at my place may be a possibility though I all I have left is floor space in the kitchen... and I'd have to see if stashing your car with a neighbor works (my driveway is only 3 cars long which won't a limitation if the snow is gone by then).

-- Rich --

Alas, it looks as though I may not make it this year- and here I was looking forward to introducing you all to my new Main Squeeze! But he and I will be following the Jack in the Green morris men wherever they may lead us, and I'm fairly certain that's the day they need us.

And I'll tell y'all later what he and I have planned that's going to keep us from this year's NESI...