Strange Wheatstone

Pete Dunk

This is an odd one. Screws for thumb straps on the top, but buckle type straps on the side. I've not seen the round holes in the ends before either, would that be a later addition made in an attempt to boost volume perhaps? Buy It Now price looks a bit ambitious for the model type too or am I missing something?.

I don't know about the rest of it, but mightn't those screws in the top be for a neck strap? They don't seem to be connected to the thumb straps...

This is an odd one. Screws for thumb straps on the top, but buckle type straps on the side. I've not seen the round holes in the ends before either, would that be a later addition made in an attempt to boost volume perhaps? Buy It Now price looks a bit ambitious for the model type too or am I missing something?.

My Lachenal is exactly like that, it has 2 of those wheatstone thumbstraps with the two prong buckle and holes, but it still has the screws on the top - no longer used. Later addition when sent in for maintenance of some sort presumably - interesting to see wheastone buckles on a Lachenal :-)

post-758-1202935379_thumb.jpg

I've slipped some heatshrink tubing on the prongs of the buckles, since they've made quite a dent in the underlying woodwork. Ideally a little metal inset plate would be a good idea to stop damage.

Chris

I think what you have here is replacement thumbstraps with the original strap screws left in place. I've seen a few like this. I beleive the holes were drilled in the ends theoretically to increase the instrument volume. Again, a few of these have surfaced in the past.

Could it be bullet holes?

My feeling is that the round holes ahve been added later. The "design" of these holes does not really match the traditional wheatstone fretwork pattern, but it look as if they have been drilled to maximize the open space in the ends without creating weak spots, so I agree that it is an addition to increase its volume.

By the way, don´t shoot the salvation army player.

Another odd thing about this one is the size of the unused thumb strap screws, too big for Wheatstone, more like Lachenal. It does look to be in quite tidy condition from what I can see, bought at the starting price it could be a decent deal. 'Inspection welcomed' sounds pretty fair. Why would you buy a thing like that and 'never get around to playing it'?